Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > video ram question

video ram question
raster hippie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 08:45 PM

i just got a new 15" powerbook as a graduation present, and apparently my parents had ordered it with the upgraded 128mb of vram.

now when i go to the system profiler, under the PCI/AGP card > display section, it says: VRAM (In Use): 64 MB

this might be a kind of stupid question, but does that mean this computer only has 64mb overall on it? or is that just what is being used now, and it could still possibly have 128mb (which is what it's supposed to have)?

cheers

betoranaldi
Jun 10, 2004, 08:58 PM

well i just check my pb ... (1.25 fw800) and is says "VRAM in use 64MB) so i am assuming that your video card is only 64mb and not 128

edit:: just checked the line above this in system profiler that says ATY,RV350M10 and is says VRAM (Total) 64MB so you might want to check that line and see if it says 128MB

raster hippie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 09:21 PM

doh, i completely missed that "total" listing above. yeah it says 64mb as well. looks like apple has jipped me. i'll call apple about it, now that i know for sure.

thanks your your help!

sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 03:09 AM

And, just to confirm on the other end, I ordered 128 MB of VRAM for my powerbook, and here's what it says under PCI/AGP Cards, in the section titled ATY,RV360M11:
Code:
Type: display Bus: AGP VRAM (Total): 128 MB Vendor: ATI (0x1002) Device ID: 0x4e50 Revision ID: 0x0000 ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-134 Display: Type: display Display Type: LCD VRAM (In Use): 128 MB Resolution: 1280 x 854 Depth: 32-bit Color Main Display: Yes Mirror: Off Online: Yes ATY,Jasper_B: Status: No display connected
So yes, you should check it out with Apple...

Forum Links
Forum Rules