Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Reuters Staffers including a NBC reporter abused

Reuters Staffers including a NBC reporter abused
angaq0k
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 06:18 PM

Exclusive: Shocking Details on Abuse of Reuters Staffers in Iraq

NEW YORK In the wake of the Abu Ghraib prison scandal, Reuters revealed on Tuesday that three Iraqis working for the company, and another Iraqi journalist working for NBC News, were seized for no reason in early January by the U.S. military and taken to a prison near Fallujah where they were subjected to physical and sexual abuse, among other forms of mistreatment. The U.S. military has denied the accusations.
The article contains gruesome and disgusting details I won't quote here.

More here.

And here is a report on journalists' situation in Iraq.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
May 20, 2004, 08:52 PM

So why aren't the respective news agencies saying anything? And why didn't we hear anything from them at the time of their alleged abductions?

Probably because it's crap.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

Saad
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2004, 10:17 PM

( Last edited by Saad; May 20, 2004 at 10:49 PM. )

Saad
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2004, 10:18 PM

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2004, 11:55 PM

1) page not found

2) requires registration

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 21, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Bureau Chief Andrew Marshall, in the first article:
"It should be noted that the bulk of their mistreatment -- including their humiliating interrogations and the mental and physical torment of the first night which all agreed was the worst part of their ordeal -- occurred several hours AFTER I had informed the 82nd Airborne Division that they were Reuters staff. I have e-mail proof of this."
email? i sure hope he did more than send an email saying they were reuters staff and wait for a reply.

-r.

angaq0k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 08:51 PM

Reuters Stands by Iraq Abuse Reports, Releases Timeline on Incident

By Greg Mitchell

Published: May 20, 2004 4:00 PM EST

NEW YORK Despite official military statements denying any wrongdoing -- and an announcement today that the case is "closed" -- Reuters is standing by allegations that three of its employees were abused by U.S. soldiers while confined near Falluja in January.

A chronology produced by Reuters detailing events surrounding the alleged abuse of three of its staffers in Iraq, obtained by E&P today, appears to support the agency's contention that it has repeatedly pressed the military for a full and objective probe of this incident from the beginning, with sometimes disquieting results.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

dcolton
Banned
Jun 14, 2004, 12:20 AM

My name is Angq0k. I have nothing better to do than look for anti-American news and post it on MacNN so I can feel good about being a canuck

quadraphonic
Jun 15, 2004, 12:25 AM

I don't think it's anti-american. Personally, I don't view Americans as toturous sadists.

It is anti-policy, in my opinion. I think it simportant for people to understand the impact of their decisions, in this case, supporting the war on iraq and its ramifications. I appreciate that going to war is more than just a simple question of yes or no, but without fully understanding the consequences of either choice, can people really feel comfortable in deciding?
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 03:22 AM

And just why exactly should I believe what these 3 iraqis are claiming ?

It's not like any iraqi is capable of lying and having their lies printed in reuters. (cough, "wedding party"/syrian border, cough)

I especially liked the part when one of them was called an elephant. The outrage, the disgust, the utter humiliation, lol.

This case is closed (according to the US). . . . . Nothing to see here, move along. . . . .

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by PacHead:

It's not like any iraqi is capable of lying and having their lies printed in reuters. (cough, "wedding party"/syrian border, cough)

I especially liked the part when one of them was called an elephant. The outrage, the disgust, the utter humiliation, lol.

This case is closed (according to the US). . . . . Nothing to see here, move along. . . . .
Thats right, because the US never does anything wrong. And even if they did, its not as bad as the other guys so it doesn't count.

that seems to be a popular sentiment among you conservatives.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 12:04 PM

Corruption in the Oil for Food Programme :cough:

How come you were happy to accept the word of Ahmed Chalabi's Iraqis quoting Saddam's Oil Ministry but you aren't happy to take these Iraqis word?

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
Corruption in the Oil for Food Programme :cough:
Oil for food program ? That's not simply somebody's word. There's thousands and thousands of documents describing the abuse taking place. And the investigation into the oil for food program is definitely not closed.

Look for UN heads to roll - French heads - Russian heads - Arab heads

Are you implying that there was no abuse in the oil for food program ? Otherwise I don't see what point you are trying to make.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2004, 01:36 PM

So far the only heads to roll had been 1 dangerous Jewish reporter, 1 dangerous Jewish American communications repairman and 1 dangerous Italian aid worker at the hands of "peaceful" muslims.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
So far the only heads to roll had been 1 dangerous Jewish reporter, 1 dangerous Jewish American communications repairman and 1 dangerous Italian aid worker at the hands of "peaceful" muslims.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 01:55 PM

Oil for food program ? That's not simply somebody's word. There's thousands and thousands of documents describing the abuse taking place. And the investigation into the oil for food program is definitely not closed.

Look for UN heads to roll - French heads - Russian heads - Arab heads

Are you implying that there was no abuse in the oil for food program ? Otherwise I don't see what point you are trying to make.
Thousands of documents? Can you back that up? I never said there weren't any documents but I doubt there are thousands. Waiting for your link ...

I'm also not saying there wasn't any abuse. I won't say so until that much is independently established. I'm saying the only evidence we have so far that there might have been abuse comes from a list of names which according to one of Ahmed Chalabi's cronies was found by an Iraqi worker in a vacant Oil Ministry. Chalabi's cronies (Iraqis) are the ones who made the accusations with reference to an Iraqi document.

My point was reinforced by your response which was to reassert your view that it is an established fact that there was corruption in the programme. Iraqis, according to you, are capable of lying and having their lies published. Looks to me like you're slicing your bread both ways.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
Thousands of documents? Can you back that up? I never said there weren't any documents but I doubt there are thousands. Waiting for your link ...

I'm also not saying there wasn't any abuse. I won't say so until that much is independently established. I'm saying the only evidence we have so far that there might have been abuse comes from a list of names which according to one of Ahmed Chalabi's cronies was found by an Iraqi worker in a vacant Oil Ministry. Chalabi's cronies (Iraqis) are the ones who made the accusations with reference to an Iraqi document.

My point was reinforced by your response which was to reassert your view that it is an established fact that there was corruption in the programme. Iraqis, according to you, are capable of lying and having their lies published. Looks to me like you're slicing your bread both ways.
Just as I will not provide a link that the earth is round, I will not provide any link that there are thousands of documents. I've read that in at least 10 different "oil for food" articles, including the new york times (a paper that libbies love). You can believe it or not, doesn't make a difference to me.

And, yes of course it's a fact that there is corruption in the oil for food program. What remains to be seen is how far it goes up, and exactly who is guilty. Even the UN commision that is investigating the Oil for food program are being investigated now, lol. The whole UN is a laughable joke and reeks of corruption on all levels. It's hopefully only a matter of time before Kofi gets the boot, and the whole thing unravels. Time to dismantle the UN, in my opinion.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 02:29 PM

... libbies love
mmmm .... libby's ...

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 02:43 PM

Just as I will not provide a link that the earth is round, I will not provide any link that there are thousands of documents. I've read that in at least 10 different "oil for food" articles, including the new york times (a paper that libbies love). You can believe it or not, doesn't make a difference to me.

And, yes of course it's a fact that there is corruption in the oil for food program. What remains to be seen is how far it goes up, and exactly who is guilty. Even the UN commision that is investigating the Oil for food program are being investigated now, lol. The whole UN is a laughable joke and reeks of corruption on all levels. It's hopefully only a matter of time before Kofi gets the boot, and the whole thing unravels. Time to dismantle the UN, in my opinion.
Once again the point goes over your head. The allegations about the Oil for Food Programme (and that's all they are - allegations) are based on documents and statement made by IRAQIS - you know those people you say are so capable of lying and having their lies published. Unless you're saying that you base your view that there was corruption in the Programme on evidence that comes from non-Iraqi sources, then you seem to be applying a double standard here. Namely that Iraqis are only liars when they aren't saying what you want them to.

Btw,
"The New York Times, citing Iraqi documents and the accounts of Iraqi officials, disclosed in February that Mr. Hussein's government had skimmed billions of dollars from the program by collecting kickbacks from suppliers and illegal surcharges from purchasers of its oil. Earlier, a Baghdad newspaper [run by the INC] had published a list [As in 1 document] of hundreds of world political figures, companies, writers and others whom it said had received coupons from Mr. Hussein's government entitling them to sell Iraqi oil under the program.
The only reference to thousands of documents that I have seen is a reference to the thousands of documents that Ahmed Chalabi (that most trustworthy of American servants) is supposed to have. Supposed to have - no one has ever seen them let alone verified that they prove any corruption.

I would say that given the source of these allegations, namely Ahmed Chalabi, there's a strong possibility that they're bs. That aside, you need to think twice about painting Iraqis in general as liars - it has consequences for some of your other arguments.

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 02:47 PM

Just as I will not provide a link that the earth is round, I will not provide any link that there are thousands of documents.
WARNING: LOGICAL FALLACY DETECTED.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 15, 2004, 02:56 PM

Regarding the oil for food documents. . . . .Well it remains to be seen what is true, what is false etc.

Time will tell, and we shall see. None of us has a crystal ball.

Forum Links
Forum Rules