Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > A price worth paying

A price worth paying
angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 03:03 PM

A price worth paying

Madeleine Albright - The lackluster US Secretary of State showed twice this year how unworthy she is of her high office. First, when queried about UN charges that 500,000 Iraqi children had died because of the decade-long US-British embargo of Iraq, she replied, `it is a price worth paying.'
How many sacrificed innocents does it take to make a military action fair?
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 4, 2004, 03:05 PM

Are you related to Lerk ?

I seem to remember hearing about this - hmmm - 2 years ago or something ?

Is there no new news to talk about ? No new dirt to dig up ?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 4, 2004, 03:06 PM

"He (Saddam), and he alone, will be to blame for the consequences."
Bill Clinton
I believe in that quote above. And I don't think it was just Clinton trying to shift all the blame onto Saddam and not him.

Saddam is the one to blame.

angaq0k  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
A price worth paying

How many sacrificed innocents does it take to make a military action fair?
Let me be more specific.

With both Russian operation to save hostages, the Iraq invasion etc., all operations leading to the death of civilians, and hostages, and millitary personel, I am asking, simply, what are the conditions to make such operations worth it?
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 4, 2004, 03:14 PM

Let me be more specific.

With both Russian operation to save hostages, the Iraq invasion etc., all operations leading to the death of civilians, and hostages, and millitary personel, I am asking, simply, what are the conditions to make such operations worth it?
The Russian operation to save the hostages ? Yeah hundreds died, but what's the alternative. The islamists would have killed everybody. 100 dead is bad, but 500 dead is worse.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 4, 2004, 03:17 PM

Let me be more specific.

angaq0K you should never give into terrorists or terrorism. That will show them that it works.

Terrorists don't have a good tract record of getting their way. And that is a good thing.

I think people should be more concerned with what and how these people that commit these acts get to the point they are. Obviously they are being brain washed.

The key is to de-program them. And that is what this administration is trying to accomplish in the ME.

Give these people some hope. Show them that there is another way of life. One that doesn't involve fear of your leader or his gang coming to your house murdering your dad, or raping your daughter in the streets.

It's not going to happen over night, but it is happening.

I talk to a lot of people from the ME area daily. I myself have seen attitudes changing.

There will always be the people that are set in their ways, and will be evil by choice. We are just trying to educate the public about how these people work.

I myself would give up my life instead of appeasing a terrorist.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2004, 03:18 PM

I've heard that the Babylonians have come up with this new thing called in-door plumbing. It'll be big I tell you. Best thing since the wheel.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules