Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sisyphus: the Neverending Debates

Sisyphus: the Neverending Debates
angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:14 AM

It is my observation that, as Sisyphus, we debate continuously over the same thing and no one has won any debate so far (or is willing to admit unless they call the opposite with names).

In the realm of the dead, he (Sisyphus) is forced to roll a block of stone against a steep hill, which tumbles back down when he reaches the top. Then the whole process starts again, lasting all eternity. His punishment was depicted on many Greek vases. He is represented as a naked man, or wearing a fur over his shoulders, pushing a boulder.
The political threads are often ongoing, repetitive, with the same argumentations repeated ad nauseam and they never get to be "resolved". Why do you think that is?
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2004, 05:45 AM

I thought you meant syphilis. sorry...

angaq0k  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by chalk_outline:
I thought you meant syphilis. sorry...
Well, it is very similar in that that it is an ongoing, repetitive process that turns out to be painful...

And it is contagious through the fun part (heat of the moment) as well...
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2004, 09:02 AM

Debates aren't meant to be won or lost. They're meant for discussing viewpoints. In the case of Presidential debates, they're meant for discussing viewpoints with a minimum of preparation time.

That's why the discussion never ends: it's not supposed to.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 11:54 AM

Because people are stubborn and lazy

As I pointed out in another thread, it amuses me to no end that people continue to spew various lines of simple-minded campaign rhetoric even though they've been disputed and legitimately disproved several times over. People seem to have no respect for nuanced positions or disagreement, just smears and labels. My fiance's grandmother, for example, a lifetime Republican, mentioned that she'd never vote for Kerry because he's a flip-flopper. When I asked her what he's flip-flopped on, she had no clue. My sister in law parrots rhetoric from right-wing radio hosts as if it's the word of God. 75% of Americans believe Saddam had links to 9/11 and over 50% think most of the hijackers were Iraqis. That's the level of political discourse in America and probably in most countries.

Forum Links
Forum Rules