Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > gmail used my idea!

gmail used my idea!
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 07:46 AM

a few weeks ago, i sent a suggestion to them asking for an RSS feed of new email messages. this morning, i logged on and found a link to an Atom feed on the left column! cool stuff.

on a side note, can NewsFire read Atom feeds?

"I start fires!"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 07:50 AM

i want an rss feed of new gmail messages!
on the left hand side by inbox,starred, sent mail, etc? nothing like that on mine.

Fiend
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 09:27 AM

For my often used gmail, I have the link. For an account I use once in a great while, no link. It must be related to how much/often you use your gmail account.

DarwinX
Oct 4, 2004, 10:05 AM

Fiend: I have the opposite effect going. My heavy use account does not have the link, my not so used account does have it. I'm guessing they just haven't rolled it over to all accounts yet.

:Edit:

I was also wondering if anyone else had noticed how GMail seems to also use aliases. What I mean is....my gmail account is my [email protected] Well this weekend I just tried [email protected] and I still got the e-mail. I don't know if this is a "feature" or if other mail services work this way, but I don't think they do Anyway, just an observation, anyone else try it?
( Last edited by DarwinX; Oct 4, 2004 at 10:16 AM. )

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 03:30 PM

that's weird... this morning, in the left column under the folder options was a little badge that said 'Atom' on it that linked to a news feed. now it's not there

"I start fires!"

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
gmail scrapped my idea!
Fix-O-rama�

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 04:30 PM

lol

"I start fires!"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2004, 05:30 PM

I saw it too. And now it's gone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 05:33 PM

a few weeks ago, i sent a suggestion to them asking for an RSS feed of new email messages. this morning, i logged on and found a link to an Atom feed on the left column! cool stuff.
Had a similar thing happening a couple of years ago.
Sent an email to Tim Berners-Lee and suggested to implement HTML and create the internet. Et voila !

-t

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Had a similar thing happening a couple of years ago.
Sent an email to Tim Berners-Lee and suggested to implement HTML and create the internet. Et voila !

-t
Well I sent an email to Ray Tomlinson suggesting he used phone lines to allow people to communicate using computers, in a similar way to fax machines.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by drive-thru:
Well I sent an email to Ray Tomlinson suggesting he used phone lines to allow people to communicate using computers, in a similar way to fax machines.
That was you ?

Gee, thx !

-t

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 05:55 PM

I think they are in the process of adding it. The 'New Features!' section was updated on 10/1 and says coming soon. RSS/Atom feed of the mail would rock though.

-matt

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 06:06 PM

"One day, Regina George punched me in the face. It was AWESOME!"

Apple once corrected a mistake i found on their site and sent to them. It was in the SuperDrive description. Instead of using the word eMac on the eMac page, they were saying "Your brand new iMac can..."

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
That was you ?

Gee, thx !

-t
No problem. Thanks for that internet thing.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 06:22 PM

Looks like instead of the briefly-linked-to newsfeed, they released a windows-only Gmail Notifier program to accomplish the same thing

"I start fires!"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2004, 01:46 PM

Sorry to resurrect, but I just found the URL for this feature and it still works just fine.

https://gmail.google.com/gmail/feed/atom

It doesn't work in NewsFire, but it works in my browser and I'd assume any news reader that has authentication support. BTW, http works too but I wouldn't recommend using it.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 03:42 PM

nice, thanks!

that's probably what gmail uses for their tracker program. they do listen, sort of...

"I start fires!"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 04:38 PM

i tried to register on the newsfire forum, but it is disabled. could someone who has a user account there please add this link to the list of feeds that do not work. and hopefully it will get fixed.

thanks

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
i tried to register on the newsfire forum, but it is disabled. could someone who has a user account there please add this link to the list of feeds that do not work. and hopefully it will get fixed.

thanks
I also tried to register and post that, but since it's disabled I just e-mailed the author directly. Hopefully he gets back to me. I'm curious about it.

I'd like NewsFire to be open source. I'd help on it if it were.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I also tried to register and post that, but since it's disabled I just e-mailed the author directly. Hopefully he gets back to me. I'm curious about it.

I'd like NewsFire to be open source. I'd help on it if it were.
isn't it done by the same guy that wrote Acquisition? I never really heard the whole story about why a lot of people dislike him. I really like NewsFire (especially for a free program) and Acquisition seems fine to me.

"I start fires!"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 14, 2004, 01:17 AM

isn't it done by the same guy that wrote Acquisition? I never really heard the whole story about why a lot of people dislike him. I really like NewsFire (especially for a free program) and Acquisition seems fine to me.
I thought the website (xlife) sounded familiar. I think you're right. I think people didn't like it when he started charging for a program most people use to pirate stuff.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 01:17 AM

i am not sure either. when newsfire came out there was a post in the software forum and some not so positive stuff was said.

i was wondering if newsfire is going to stay free or not? acquisition is not free. i assumed that there was nothing about registration in newsfire because it is at version .24, i just assumed that registration would come when it got older. but the rate it is going, it is a pretty full featured stable piece of software already. how much more can he do for it (other than low level stuff that we don't see)? i guess he could release .25 and it has a "register me" window.

Forum Links
Forum Rules