Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod scroll wheel scraping

iPod scroll wheel scraping
RevEvs
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 01:31 PM

First off - my iPod is brilliant and i love it. I bought it a couple of days after it came out, and maybe because i have one of the first ones i'm having this problem.

The problem is that the scroll wheel seems to be scraping at the top left corner. That corner seems lower and closer than the other corners.

ANyone else experiencing this? Would I be able to get apple to fix this under my warranty?

Want to get it fixed before it gets worse if possible...
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 01:37 PM

You'll probably want to ask them about that. I don't think that's normal. The ipod is a non-repairable item, so they'd have to replace it, if they decide to do that.

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2001, 10:02 PM

i've had the same thing happen to a lesser degree so i am able to just push it back till it's straight....if it happens all the time, then maybe you should get it looked at

OpenStep
Senior User
Dec 27, 2001, 01:19 AM

My iPod wheel scrapes too, I guess its just the way it is cause its been like that ever since I got it...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2001, 02:15 AM

I think it's supposed to be that way or all of them are that way. Mine does so as well. It's not bothersome at all, though.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2001, 07:06 AM

No, they are not supposed to scrape. First try pushing it in all the way, straight in.

Then if that doesn't help there's probably some dirt or something inside the wheel that's not letting it line up straight. Just pop that baby off, use a camera blower or compressed air to clean it out, maybe even add a drop of (nonconductive) lubricant, and pop it back on again.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Keda
Senior User
Dec 27, 2001, 11:10 AM

I got an iPod for Christmas, and love it. But, I had to go to the Apple Store and exchange it the day after Christmas because the wheel was grinding so badly. I suspected dirt may have gotten in it, but since it was less than 24hrs old, I didnt want to mess around.

This seems like a design flaw.

How hard is it to pop off the wheel? I think it may happen again, so I want to be prepared.

Forum Links
Forum Rules