Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How Much Do You Exercise - REALLY?

How Much Do You Exercise - REALLY?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 02:34 PM

Seriously, how much do any of you exercise? What do you do? What motivates you?

We were talking about that this morning. Some people exercise because they want to have a perfect body. Some people exercise because it makes them feel better. I work out 30 minutes a day on a Nordic Track ski machine because I want to maintain my weight and I like to eat, hence I need to work out. I also work out to keep my muscles healthy and zipping along. I try to work out every day. I used to jog but the heat in Florida just kills me so I'm giving it up. Besides, I think I get a better workout on the ski machine, strangely enough.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 02:52 PM

Plus, tell the truth about your exercising. Back it up with pictures...if you dare...

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 02:54 PM

i try to walk or ride bike every couple days, but i walk alot at my job. i used to run on the threadmill 30 minutes everyday to try to slim down & it made me feel great...exercise is all about motivation for me or lack of motivation.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 02:54 PM

Not enough.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 03:01 PM

like four times a week. I used to hit the stationary bike a lot, but I'm bored of it now.
I'm trying to find some fun activities I can do everyday, but I haven't settled on anything.
Basketball's showing potential but I need a partner

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 03:02 PM

I eat less.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 03:03 PM

Eating less isn't exercise.

Doesn't count, sorry.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 03:04 PM

I excersise daily to just keep in shape. Usually a light workout for about 10-15 minutes everyday. 50 pushups, 200 situps. Works well for me. I dont like to use equipment much so there is no excuse for me not to do it if I'm away. I like to be consistant and do things daily no matter what.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 03:18 PM

Do you realize that if you exercise for one-half hour per day, five days a week for 34 years then you will have invested an entire year of useful life (assuming 12 useful hours per day) in doing exercises. sam

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 03:21 PM

I lift 4-5 days a week for appearance and health reasons. Cardio a couple of times per week - jogging on the beach or orbitrack at the gym (when I'm not busy or beat from working)

I'd back it up, but I'm not the kind of jackass who posts shirtless pics of himself on the internet.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 03:22 PM

Yeah, that's always my concern. If I exercise, it's time away from my family that I would otherwise spend enjoying life. On the other hand, if I can live an extra few years because of it, then it is a good investment.

I exercise aerobically three days a week (right now I rollerblade), and lift weights two or three days a week inbetween aerobic exercise. I'm training for the St. Paul Inline Marathon in August. I stopped running marathons a few years back, and this is something I haven't done before. All it cost was $300 for new skates.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 03:22 PM

I've been walking a lot recently. Last semester I rode the train from the closest local station, which is still a good 15 minutes away. Now I ride from a farther station that's 25 minutes away.

Also this semester I started a martial art, bลjutsu. I guess the best translation is stick fighting. But I've been getting sick of it lately. I jog instead sometimes.

historylme
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SVass
Do you realize that if you exercise for one-half hour per day, five days a week for 34 years then you will have invested an entire year of useful life (assuming 12 useful hours per day) in doing exercises. sam
How much time do you spend in sitting in you bum reading threads?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 03:29 PM

I don't exercise at at all any more other than some reasonably significant running around at my job. Of course, everything varies based a person's situation too. Several years ago, I was living up in the mountains and had a job that went from 4:30 am to 1:00pm. There wasn't a lot to do there in terms of going out, so I hiked after work almost every single day (barring days with crazy electrical storms or obligations such as dentist appointments etc.). I hiked no less than 1.5 hours and as many as 4 or 5 hours every single day. When my hike was <3hrs, I'd usually run (also on hilly terrain) near my house after dinner for 30-40min. Man, those were the days ... I really felt like a million bucks and slept like a log every night. Did wonders for "purifying" and focusing my mind as well.

Nowadays. I live in the heart of a (small) city. Going out and running or walking around city streets just isn't very enjoyable to me ... plus I usually don't get home from work until 7:00 - 8:00 and don't feel like doing sh!t at that point. I've never been one for the gym/treadmill/workout "machine" type stuff ... just not comparable to hiking to the top of a mountain or whizzing downhill on a bike at 60mph.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2005, 03:58 PM

About 2.5 months ago I decided to do some pushups just to see how many I could do. I was totally shocked and dissappointed in myself when I found that I could only do 15 before collapsing. Well since then I have been working at it every day. I am now doing 3 sets of 35 pushups twice a day. I max out at about 60 right now. I'm feeling great about myself. I've been running 3 miles a day on the weekend, and I've also incorporated situps into my daily routine. It's just simple little exercises that do wonders for your constitution.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 04:03 PM

I run 5-6 times a week. I ran in high school, and I picked up again after college to get back in shape... and of course to impress the ladies (yeah, that's working well). The key to not seeing it as wasted time is to exercise with other people. It's a great chance to talk about anything.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2005, 04:20 PM

I ride my bike 6 miles a day five days a week for work alone. I usually go for 20-30 mile rides at least 4 days a week. So, some days I'll ride 30+ between work and free ride.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 04:22 PM

I only run when chased, and whatever's chasing had better be bigger and stronger than me.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band โ€ข my web site โ€ข my guitar effects โ€ข my photos โ€ข facebook โ€ข brightpoint

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I only run when chased, and whatever's chasing had better be bigger and stronger than me.

Maury
Ah, so you wouldn't want to join me on any of my runs during my 50 mile week coming up?

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 04:28 PM

I swim for 40 minutes 6 times a week. I do other stuff, like ride my bike, hike, play sports but swimming is my ONE constant.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by SVass
So your health is worthless? If by keeping your body in shape you live a few years longer or a few years less of health problems would it be worth it? My lifestlye may be worthless but my health is not. I don't plan to be a pill factory or hospital patient in my elder years.

Ganesha
Senior User
Jun 26, 2005, 04:41 PM

I commute by bike (15-18 mph pace), which gets me up to 17 miles a day for 5 days a week. I usually toss in a 50+ mile ride on Sunday.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 04:42 PM

Right now I'm trying to gain some weight. So I lift, do push-ups, curls and all that. About three weeks have passed since I started, and I've gained 8 lbs. I'm proud of myself. I also play a lot of tennis.

scadboy
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2005, 04:52 PM

I've been working out for the last three years, ever since my doctor told me I had high blood pressure (at 21!) and needed to lose a little weight, I was close to 200, which is abit high for a person of my stature and frame (5'7", medium frame).

the first two years, I really didn't know what I was doing. I went to the gym about five days a week, mostly lifting weights, maybe doing 15 minutes of cardio three days a week, so I lost a little weight, got down to 180 (still high) and my blood pressure fell in check and I started to feel markedly better, but I wasn't really happy with the results.

so I started reading up on nutrition and exercise, realized I didn't know what I was doing and changed up my plan. For the last year, I've been logging everything I eat, and my exercise activites through http://www.fitday.com, going to the gym six days a week before work (and at 10 on saturdays). The jog to the gym is a solid three-quarters of a mile, which is a great little warm up. I start out with 45 minutes of calisthenics and weight training (somedays 15/30, other days 30/15, depending on which groups I'm working), and finish with 45 minutes of sustained moderate cardio, and then jog home.

On sundays, I sleep, alot. ha!

I'm down to about 150, probably have another 10 or so to go. Diet and Exercise really go hand in hand in getting results. The key is determining what your basal burn rate is, how many calories your body burns during the course of an average day, and then creating a deficit in your caloric intake. If you want to lose about 2 pounds a week, which is about as much as is safe, thats about 7000 calories a week, or 1000 calories a day you need to cut out. It's best to do that half with food, by eating 500 calories less a day, and half with exercise, by getting 500 calories of sustained, moderate cardio a day. If your basal rate is 2000 calories a day, eat 1500 and do about 45 minutes on the stationary bike, you'll see results.

Strength training and the like will help you gain muscle, but it's for pot as far as burning fat goes, and unless you're burning the fat off, you'll never see those muscles.
( Last edited by scadboy; Jun 26, 2005 at 05:02 PM. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 04:54 PM

I don't exercise at all. Hopefully this fall with cooler weather I will be able to encourage myself to take my dogs for a walk. Something that has always amazed me about exercise, one person in particular, they are sick a lot more that me.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
Ah, so you wouldn't want to join me on any of my runs during my 50 mile week coming up?
Nope. Not unless there's going to be a really, really big, angry, and rabid dog chasing us.

MAury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band โ€ข my web site โ€ข my guitar effects โ€ข my photos โ€ข facebook โ€ข brightpoint

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 06:25 PM

I walk a lot, be it at school or be it in town. In the way of scheduled excercise, I'm a jazz/tap dancer (1.5 hrs pw tap, 2 1/2 hrs pw jazz) and I student teach classes of both of these for 2 1/4 hours each week. Then at home I do stretching and stuff quite a bit. It's very varied but, yah.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 06:30 PM

I put on the college 20 the last two years of college, so I really should be working out... maybe lift some weights and put some muscle on my skinny arms.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 26, 2005, 06:38 PM

I don't exercise enough. My day is basically school, so I drive to the campus (about 12 miles away), park and walk into the campus building complex. Everything I do on campus is walking-I do NOT use elevators, and the UTSA campus is noticably 3-dimensional. Parking is on ground level, much of the interaction and interconnection between buildings is on the second level, and my classes are on the third level-lots and LOTS of stairs. I've also been systematically parking farther and farther away, but there's a big tradeoff between more exercise and more exposure to the sun in the kind of temperatures and humidity we've been having lately

As I'm working on getting into Occupational Therapy, it's kind of necessary that I be fit, so I've been working on stretching and what pushups I can do with my shoulder problems-and that's more than I thought I could. I expect to move up to fully horizontal pushups soon, and to add situps to the days I do pushups instead of alternating days.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 08:42 PM

Where are the pictures. Sorry, Cody, but if you ask for pictures why don't you post a picture of your sexy body first?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 08:53 PM

Here are some pictures. Now are you happy?

(Pictures removed because of sickos like TETENAL.)
( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Jun 26, 2005 at 10:14 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 09:34 PM

I have seen hotter pictures of "you".

But I don't believe you are posting pictures of yourself. Since I don't agree with most of what you post I believe you are indeed an ugly, fat, old man.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
i used to run on the threadmill
Why THREADmill? You do know it's a treadmill, right? For treading on? Someone I know says this and it annoys a couple of my friends bonkers.

I work out three or four times a week lifting weights. I also play a sport occasionally, maybe once a week doing something. I'm counting disc golf as a sport, even if it's not too strenuous
Had a lot of fun with beach volleyball today, though... there's a fun sport, I should join a club for the short summer here in MN.
Why do I work out? For quality of life, and to maybe make myself a bit more attractive to the opposite sex...

Thanks for the FitDay link! Maybe I'll start recording this stuff and see how I'm doing.

Edit 1: And Cody, let me complement you on your photos, looks like you're staying fit... and have quite a bit more courage than most people on these boards

Edit 2: Aww, and now the photos are gone. I'm assuming they were real...
( Last edited by funkboy; Jun 26, 2005 at 10:20 PM. )

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 10:12 PM

TETENAL
I have seen hotter pictures of "you".

But I don't believe you are posting pictures of yourself. Since I don't agree with most of what you post I believe you are indeed an ugly, fat, old man.
No you haven't. The only other pictures I've ever posted were pictures of me at the beach holding my baby by a pelican. I don't want to post pictures of my kids on the internet probably because of perverts like you who make comments like the one you did.

You're a sad pathetic person to make comments like that.

I've actually spoke to a couple of people who post here on the telephone and they will verify that I am not "an ugly, fat, old man."

Maybe you're describing yourself?

Anyway, picture show is over now.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 26, 2005, 10:39 PM

Right now I'm 240lbs, and I need to cut 30lbs as I am sporting a nice tummy, but I retained all of my muscle mass, so I could drop it in about 60 days easy. When I am working out, I am on the following training schedule. (210 Lean)

3 on 1 off.

Day 1: Bi / Tri / Shoulders
Day 2: Chest / Back
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Off, only calves and cardio
Day 5: (Same as day 1)
Day 6: (Same as day 2)
Day 7: (Same as day 3)
--

I use free weights mainly but sometimes the crossover pully for peak exercises, with ultra low weights after doing supersets on my (Bi-Tri-Shoulder Day).

I love to cool down with a swim.

My workouts take from 45 minutes to 1:15 max. If you have to be in the gym longer, you are wasting time waiting for a machine or station. Superset.

Don't ask me about AB workouts. My abs get worked out during my exercise routine. You cannot workout correctly and leave your abs out of the equation.

Breathing properly during a workout is very important for your results and an excellent side result has been my increased Inhalation and Exhalation capacity. Expand your lungs! If you want body mass to increase you need to expand your rib cage, and allow your body to pack on the muscle.

People thought I was on steriods when I was younger, but it's a matter of working out right, breathing right, eating right, supplimenting correctly, and getting plenty of rest. You'll gain 20 percent more muscle if you increase your sleep by 1 hour per night. Most people are defeating themselves by limiting one of the aformentioned items.

I'm no degreed expert, I've just been around a while and I know what works. (Besides listening to others who have gained results from this thought process.)

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 10:59 PM

Wow! I'm impressed with your regimen, budster.

And you use free weights? They build better muscles.

I don't like to diet so I work out. Not to build muscles, but to just stay slim. I can gain weight in my tummy easily (having children does that to women) though, oddly enough, I do not gain it anywhere else.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jun 26, 2005, 11:05 PM

Is it me or is this turning into..does-my-ass-look-big-in-this-NN?!?!??!?!!!!!1111WTFd0000d!!!>.1.1.11

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
does-my-ass-look-big-in-this
Yes.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 11:08 PM

Workout? hahahhahaaha.

Sunday: Homework
Monday: College class
Tuesday: 2 College classes (7 hours!)
Wednesday: Homework
Thursday: 2 classes again!
Friday: hybernation
Satuday: Doing something as far from college-related as possible

In essence, aside from the walks, runs, and such I have to do daily, I don't do much of anything, but I believe that's fine for now. I know the health freaks will say that's unacceptable and I should be dedicating time, but I don't have time to dedicate, so as long as I'm not gaining weight I don't care.
Aloha

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 11:16 PM

Monday; Swim
Tuesday: Run + Pilates
Wednesday: Bike
Thursday: Swim + Pilates
Friday: Run
Saturday: Bike
Sunday: Brick

Times vary acording to exercise and day. Probably about 13 - 16 hours a week.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 11:25 PM

I used to play tennis for 2 hours a day on some clay courts my dad and I built a few years back. Then I moved to Austin, and now I need to find a new tennis group. I try to run about 3 miles around the lake when I can motivate myself, but usually that's only about 3 or 4 times a week.

When I exercise, I feel like I could rule the world. I guess I should do it more often. Rule the world, that is.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 12:17 AM

I can't exercise indoors. I feel like a zoo animal when I go to a gym. What does that leave?

Well, I bike to work most days. I work five days a week and I bike in 3-4 of those days. The days I don't bike I will sometimes drive, but I don't like to do that because it actually takes longer. The distance is only three miles, but I have to park a mile away from where I work. So it either takes me 15 minutes of biking, or 10 minutes of driving plus 15 minutes of walking. Either way I get half an hour of cardiovascular exercise a day, most days of the week. Admittedly it's not very intense exercise, but it's more than most people get, and it keeps me in reasonably good shape.

Once in a while, if I'm lazy or the weather is really bad, I'll just take the bus in or even drive to a bus stop so I don't have to transfer buses. Then I don't really have to walk much at all... no more than about five minutes of walking if I do that.

I am also part of a group of people that goes biking every Saturday morning. They've been meeting for a couple months but I have never been up for waking up early to meet them, so I just attended my first bike meet of the summer this past Saturday. We did about 15 or 20 miles... usually we do more like 20-30 miles, but I broke a spoke and it was kind of a small group anyway. Anyway, over the course of the summer I hope to attend at least every other time, but I don't know how it'll work out. I'll see how things go.

I've also lost a lot of weight in the past several months, probably because I've been just eating less. I now live in my own place so not only am I less able to afford food (instead of just cruising my parents' kitchen for a snack whenever I felt like it), but I also just eat less often because I don't want to take the time to cook. I don't really eat much healthier food than I used to, but I don't have sweets as often (can't afford to buy them constantly), and I just don't eat as much.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2005, 12:20 AM

Off to the gym soon.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 12:21 AM

"And everybody was kung fu fighting," even me!

I've been doing bok-fu (a martial arts form that combines karate and kung fu) for about 9-10 months, anywhere from 2 to 5 days a week; I do sit-ups and push-ups 3 or 4 days of the week to go along with it. I do martial arts not to keep in shape or lose weight, achieve the perfect body, etc., but because I think it's friggen cool. (The sit-ups and push-ups help my body get into better shape, which in turn allows me to kick some ass while doing my stuff.) Oh, and I'm learning how to defend myself as well

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 12:30 AM

I swim 3 days a week for about 20-25 laps (20-30 minutes) per session, and bike 12.5-15 miles (40-50 minutes) once or twice a week. No running, and no Bricks yet (yeah, I was supposed to start that by now). I've had trouble getting myself out of bed early, and its about 90ยบ outside by the time I am up, so its easy to just swim.

I've got a tri at the end of August though, so I'd better get running, eh?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 12:40 AM

No exercise other than my job. One day at work I may spend the day dealing with employee issues and sitting on my ass, next day I may be running a jackhammer all day long. Does a decent job keeping me in shape. Also does a decent job making me hurt like an old man.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2005, 12:42 AM

2 hours at the gym M-F

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 27, 2005, 12:58 AM

i work out 5 days a week for 8 hours a day and i get paid to do it. no really. i'm working as a groundman for a tree service over the summer and all i do is drag brush around, chainsaw stuff and throw around 50-100 pound wood cuts. i don't need to go to the gym. after a month of this job i'm pretty damn cut. i enjoy the work, most of the time, because i know it's good for me and i'm getting paid. like i'm getting toughened up the old fashioned way. it feels good to not have to go to the gym and deal with all those stupid meat heads, and the muscle i develop actually serves a purpose. most people that only go to the gym to try and bulk up to impress others and/or help their low confidence are kinda lame.

not all who wander are lost.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Link
Workout? hahahhahaaha.

Sunday: Homework
Wednesday: Homework
That's all you do those two days? You really spend 8-12 hours on homework, thus not leaving any time to go out for a short walk or bike ride? You must be in some really tough classes.

Monday: College class
Tuesday: 2 College classes (7 hours!)
Thursday: 2 classes again!
Oh my God, you poor thing! Two days a week where you have to be in class for seven whole hours? And a third day where you have to be in class for probably three and a half hours! Obviously you don't have enough time to work out with such a busy schedule!

Friday: hybernation
Satuday: Doing something as far from college-related as possible
Ah, so after that rough, rough week with 18 hours of class time and two days of homework (3-4 hours each, tops...?), I guess you deserve two full days of nothingness. Go you!

In essence, aside from the walks, runs, and such I have to do daily, I don't do much of anything, but I believe that's fine for now. I know the health freaks will say that's unacceptable and I should be dedicating time, but I don't have time to dedicate, so as long as I'm not gaining weight I don't care.
Congratulations, you win the Spoiled Lazy Brat award.

Seriously man. You CAN make time. With a schedule that open you should be able to take a half hour walk just about every day. I work almost full time (37 hours a week) and I haven't had problems finding time to exercise. I've even made my trips to and from work into an exercise routine, and I'm planning on going for a long bike ride once a week too, so it's obviously not that you don't have time. I think it's that you've told yourself you don't have time and are using it as an excuse.

Oh and I still have time to lie around if I want... today I did hardly anything. Same with last Friday. Other times I'll use my days off to hang out with my friends. A lot of the time, I will just go out with my friends in the evenings after work. Even on the days when I get off work at 9 PM, that's still a few hours before I have to go to bed.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 09:04 AM

I have now reached that golden age when weight accumulates faster than I like. Last summer I gained some weight, then my cholesterol came back high last fall and I got read the riot act.

I still don't excersize near enough, but I'm trying to walk 1.75 miles in 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, and I'm taking a strength class at the gym on mondays and a yoga class on fridays. I should do lots more ab work since I still bare evidence of having born children. My weight's down a little, but I still can't fit into a lot of my clothes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules