Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > KFC/Kentucky Fried Chicken

KFC/Kentucky Fried Chicken
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 10:12 PM

I remember, as probably many on this forum, when Kentucky Fried Chicken abbreviated and changed their name to KFC. Many people claimed crazy reasons for this, but this seems to be the real reason. At least it is more reasonable than anything else I've heard. But, I just saw a KFC commercial on TV, where they've brought back Kentucky Fried Chicken, for the first time since the change years ago (BTW, was it really changed in 1991, it doesn't seem like 14 years!!). So, I was just wondering what has changed. Have they worked out a deal, did Kentucky drop or change its terms?
( Last edited by Gamoe; Jul 11, 2005 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spelling)

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2005, 10:17 PM

Somehow the Snopes explanation sounds less convincing than the myth they bust. Not that I'd put it past state legislators, mind you...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Somehow the Snopes explanation sounds less convincing than the myth they bust. Not that I'd put it past state legislators, mind you...
You may be right. In any case, does anyone know the real truth behind the name change and change back now?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 10:18 PM

No love for Kitchen Fresh Chicken?
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 10:22 PM

Another reason to hate Kentucky.

Edit: See my post farther down

I retract my comment about hating Kentucky.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Jul 11, 2005 at 08:45 AM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 10:31 PM

Didn't the cities of San Francisco and New York do the same thing?

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 10:41 PM

I like PFK better.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 10:42 PM

All I know is that ever since KFC came out with the $1 "Snacker"...I've visited that place more in the last 3 months than I have over the last 10 years!

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
I like PFK better.
Pollo from Kentucky?

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 10:57 PM

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2005, 10:59 PM

I tried to search for the "kentucky" trademark.. I found some, but nothing that appeared to be the State/Commonwealth of Kentucky... You would think a link to their trademark would be in the sources, but it isn't.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I know squat about trademarks, but I used the government search:
http://www.uspto.gov/

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 11:55 PM

It was changed to KFC because of marketing. It goes better among the more fat conscious consumers. At least that's what I read somewhere.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 11:57 PM

Do we have any Trademark lawyers in the group? This sounds kinda odd. I didn't know that a trademark could be made retroactive. If KFC had previously trademarked Kentucky Fried Chicken, then I don't see how anyone or state can change the rules.

For example, if a little computer company had used the name Apple in their name years before Apple used it, but they hadn't trademarked it, it does not mean they have to change their name just because Apple trademarked it later. The little computer company could continue using it with some restrictions. I believe they would be restricted to the city that they obtained the dba.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 11:57 PM

As far as I know, both name changes have to do with marketing. I know this goes against what Snopes says, but it's what I know to be the truth.

They are also bringing back Colonel Sanders. He'll be a slimmer, more fit Colonel though. Again, all marketing.

EDIT: demograph68 beat me to it.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 01:21 AM

Hooray for Kentucky!

As an official citizen of KY I am pretty sure the name was changed to "KFC" because "Kentucky Fried Chicken" sounded unhealthy. and apparently "KFC" make you forget that its fried.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2005, 01:25 AM

And KFC is huge in Asia and KFC is easier to say than Kentucky Fried Chicken. Seriously. Go to China and you'll see more KFCs than Mickey D's and Starbucks combined. There's even a KFC in Vietnam.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2005, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
And KFC is huge in Asia and KFC is easier to say than Kentucky Fried Chicken. Seriously. Go to China and you'll see more KFCs than Mickey D's and Starbucks combined. There's even a KFC in Vietnam.
Interesting. I heard the abbreviation was due to the state of Kentucky not wanting to be associated with the product, but I don't know about the legal issues involved.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 03:44 AM

I've read every KFC in Japan has a statue of Colonel Sanders inside.

I find that creepy.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 04:40 AM

I don't know why they can't just keep them both. Kentucky Fried Chicken as the official name, and KFC as a "nickname". It seems odd and even disingenuous to me that way they totally ignored disregarded their original name. Besides, I like Kentucky Fried Chicken better, at least as an official name. It makes sense. It's descriptive; Not just some random collection of letters. Apple may use Apple, but they never changed their name from "Apple Computer, Inc.".

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2005, 05:17 AM

mmmmMMMMmm.... chicken.....

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 05:33 AM

I spoke to the head of KFC China (seriously) and he told me it was the fried bit that caused them to change the name.

I teased him a bit about working in KFC and he walked away.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies
I've read every KFC in Japan has a statue of Colonel Sanders inside.

I find that creepy.
OUTSIDE. Not inside.

They have the colonel statue standing outside the door, grinning and greeting every customer.

Trust me: He's FAR less creepy than that Ronald McDonald guy. I wouldn't trust him to go anywhere near kids.

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
OUTSIDE. Not inside.

They have the colonel statue standing outside the door, grinning and greeting every customer.

Trust me: He's FAR less creepy than that Ronald McDonald guy. I wouldn't trust him to go anywhere near kids.
I have the Colonel outside some KFCs where I live.

He's fibreglass.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2005, 06:35 AM

My first job (7 years ago) was at KFC. I asked the owner about the change and he said that it was the whole fried=unhealthy thing. The explanation in that article is totally prepostorous. Does Jim Beam have to pay royalties for every bottle of Kentucky Bourbon sold? I highly doubt it.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 07:07 AM

Kentucky Fried is by far my favorite fastfood/junkfood restaurant. I sometimes get KFC for lunch (2 pieces of chicken, fries, Pepsi and the Ensalada del Coronel)

good stuff (every once in a while)

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
I spoke to the head of KFC China (seriously) and he told me it was the fried bit that caused them to change the name.
I heard they couldn't legally call it chicken.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 07:39 AM

After a few minutes of googling and searching the US Trademark's office site, it's only a few rumor sites that metion this licensing and I can't find anyplace that mentions Kentucky actually licensing its name and inhibiting any company with licensing fees... And loads of companies have Kentucky trademarked in their name... which is why one state can't possibly have a trademark that stands to make them all in violation - that's ridiculous!

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...h=Submit+Query

And, the Kentucky Derby is still the Kentucky Derby... as opposed to the Snopes listing which says they changed their name.

Uh. If anyone finds anything legitimate on this (and not just a news story ), post it here. Otherwise, Snopes: I'm disappointed in you.
( Last edited by pathogen; Jul 11, 2005 at 07:46 AM. )
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by pathogen
And, the Kentucky Derby is still the Kentucky Derby... as opposed to the Snopes listing which says they changed their name.
Then that certainly sheds much doubt about that explanation.

Otherwise, Snopes: I'm disappointed in you.
Likewise.

It seems more and more that this was just an arbitrary internal company decision then, like Apple dropping the multicolor logo in favor of the monochrome, that had nothing to do with mutant chickens (seriously!) or licensing/royalty issues.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 08:05 AM

And now for the same reason, Crack-cocaine's name will be changed to C-C.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
I remember, as probably many on this forum, when Kentucky Fried Chicken abbreviated and changed their name to KFC. Many people claimed crazy reasons for this, but this seems to be the real reason. At least it is more reasonable than anything else I've heard. But, I just saw a KFC commercial on TV, where they've brought back Kentucky Fried Chicken, for the first time since the change years ago (BTW, was it really changed in 1991, it doesn't seem like 14 years!!). So, I was just wondering what has changed. Have they worked out a deal, did Kentucky drop or change its terms?
I knew something didn't seem right. That page you found at Snopes was part of their "Don't believe Everything you read" section. Look for the link at the bottom.

http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.htm

Snopes has a bunch of pages that they purport as true just to keep you on your toes.

http://www.snopes.com/lost/lost.htm

I haven't found anything yet that proved Snopes wrong. You should apologize for doubting Snopes.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
I knew something didn't seem right. That page you found at Snopes was part of their "Don't believe Everything you read" section. Look for the link at the bottom.

http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.htm

Snopes has a bunch of pages that they purport as true just to keep you on your toes.

http://www.snopes.com/lost/lost.htm

I haven't found anything yet that proved Snopes wrong. You should apologize for doubting Snopes.
THAT makes a LOT of sense! I just read the basic page Gabriel posted, and didn't go any farther. After all, this was Snopes, so it must be true! Thanks for teaching me something useful!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2005, 09:34 AM

Heh.. I even clicked that link and wondered why they were linking to a seemingly off-topic article... I was looking for sources, and more info.

I knew it was bull.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 09:38 AM

Although I have always heard the story about wanting to take "fried" out of the name for health-conscious Americans, I have always kind of doubted it. (No, I don't buy the mutant chicken thing, don't worry!)

First off, anyone who knows anything about eating healthy would still know that KFC was fried chicken. A name change doesn't change that.

My explanation has always been for marketing reasons, they wanted a "cooler," shorter, nickname. People already called it KFC, why not embrace that? Add to that the fact that it was around the same time that they introduced "tender roast" chicken, which isn't fried, and you have my theory.

Recently, after a long absence, I went into our local KFC and asked for the roasted chicken. They told me they didn't have it anymore. (Which really isn't that strange because half the times I'd ever ordered it they were "out" - I think because it didn't sell that well and they didn't bother to make any.)

So now back to calling it Kentucky Fried Chicken - if they don't have the "tender roast" anymore, that makes sense, right?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 09:53 AM

LOL that page on the state of Kentucky claiming trademark ownership is complete and utter hogwash.

it was a simple reason as stated by KFC, people in the early 90's were very anti-fried foods but now that Atkins has made fried foods acceptable its ok to be known as fried again.

simple enough?

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2005, 10:09 AM

Snopes, I guess I still love you.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2005, 11:40 AM

I haven't had any Kentucky Fried Chicken in years. Also nothing against Kentucky.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 11, 2005, 12:58 PM

I think the name change is a result of trying to appease and capture the "urban" market.

Kentucky Fried Chicken = KFC
McDonald's = Mickey D's
Burger King = BK
Dairy Queen = DQ

They're trying to be hip, and market their fastfood to a certain crowd. Just look at the commercials and advertising that some of these chains are sending.

In related news, Apple have announced that they will be changing the name of PowerMacs to PM's.

From the commercial ---"Yo man, have you checked out the new PM's that was presented by homeboy SJ ? The new PM's are the shizzle, and they be blazing fast, word up. Head on down to your local A store and check out these new bootylicious machines."

PS - we accept foodstamps

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2005, 01:07 PM

That's racist.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 01:09 PM

Uh oh…

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 11, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
That's racist.
Mickey D's, KFC, DK and BK are racist ? perhaps

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 11, 2005, 01:22 PM

And just to further prove my point, Mickey D's should perhaps hire real "urban" people who speak slang, as this ad seems like it was written by some old, white Ad executive, who does not know the meaning of certain slang terms.

Here, Mickey D's is advocating having sex with their sandwiches.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
OUTSIDE. Not inside.

That's even more creepy.

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2005, 04:16 PM

It can't be the "can't say kentucky" reason, I just saw a comercial last night where and old guy sees a bunch of kids eating KFC and says "...in my day, it was Kentucky Fried....."

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 04:47 PM

I've always like the trademark-busting McTucky's on Sackville Street in Manchester. They do burgers and chicken. Can't think how they got their name.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 13, 2005, 04:50 PM

I am not a KFC fan. I always feel like crap after eating there.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2005, 04:57 PM

They had a picture of the Colonel on a billboard advertising the KFC when I was in Vietnam. The Vietnamese cab driver didn't think it was too funny when I asked if he also thought the Colonel and Ho Chi Minh (a classically trained chef in his early days, btw) looked alike.

Forum Links
Forum Rules