Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can anyone from the U.K tell me a website I can get 4GB Ram Cheap for new iMac???

Can anyone from the U.K tell me a website I can get 4GB Ram Cheap for new iMac???
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2007, 02:56 PM

I want the new 24" iMac and think I will purchase as soon as Leopard drops...

Question is do I get 2GBs of RAM from Apple or do I purchase 4GB elsewhere??? Does it matter about what type of RAM you buy as in is Apples much bettter for the iMac or does it not matter?

Thanks to all who can help

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2007, 08:24 PM

Christ, dont buy it from Apple! Its not quite the rip off it used to be, but still expensive.
I've always got ram for decent prices at Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com Although last I looked, 2gb chips were out of stock. That was a couple of weeks ago though, so maybe now you will have better luck.
Their site has a good guide on there, so you'll always get the correct type of ram for your machine.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

feethea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 09:35 AM

Yep! Don't go to Apple for memory upgrades. Have a look at Crucial or Corsair sites.
Only 33 three (and reducing) pay days to go before retirement!

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 05:49 PM

Thanks a lot! hahahaha Apple must be really dear!

Okay, is this 4GB kit a good piece of RAM???? How do I tell?!?!?!
4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (24-inch) Desktop/PC, CT717419 from Crucial.com

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2007, 06:32 PM

I've bought ram for all my macs from crucial for years (9 macs or so!?). Never had a bad chip yet. I don't think you'll go wrong with that kit.. And I think its about half what you'd pay for the same thing from Apple.
Delivery is fast from those guys too, and usually free. Takes a couple of days is all.
Seems they have those chips in stock now too.. I made do with 1gb extra for my new iMac. Was only £30 delivered.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks a lot Grrr! hahaha at your name

So you have a total of 2gb??? Is that plenty??? What do you do with your comp???

I just figure I don't want to mess with my computer until quite a long way away, figure I might as well max it out from the start In saying that though, I haven't got that much money at the moment so I may just get 2gigs to start, but im thinking waiting an extra 2 weeks or so is worth it.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2007, 10:51 AM

The name was supposed to be temporary.. I had a name before this that I somehow screwed up my login details for. I made this name so I could post again and ask a mod how to fix the old name. But in the end, I ended up keeping this

Anyway, yes my alu iMac has a total of 2gb in it. And it seems plenty. Its used for all the usual web stuff, plus the odd game, and also music production work (well, it will when I have updated my music software to UB).
My older G5 iMac has 1gb in it. Which was enough when I bought it and was running 10.3. But its not quite enough today.. Infact the even older G4 powerbook im using now only has 768mb in it. But its only used for internet, so it scrapes by ok.
Its nice that the latest iMacs are supplied with 1gb on a single chip. Rather than 2 X 512mb chips. So you don't have to throw anything out if you upgrade to say, 2 or 3gb.
I was going to upgrade to a total of 3gb, but as you probably gathered, Crucial were out of stock of 2gb chips at the time, so I made do with the extra 1gb. I don't think i'll upgrade it again any time soon, as it seems ample for the time being.

All the best

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks a lot GRReat feedback (shame on me) hahaha

Yeah I think two gig is plenty, especially considering i will be transferring from windows with 256mb to an iMac running OSX which apparently uses memory a lot better...

I can't freaking wait! I've been watching tutorials on macs operating system most of the day, sad i know but i just want one!!! Come October i'll have my hands on them i'll be sure to keep you posted, for the mean time, i'll ponder the crucial memory, i think i will go for it though, thanks a lot

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2007, 04:33 AM

Another vote for Crucial. They did the RAM I put in my Mac Pro for about 2/3 of what Apple were after. Equal quality-wise, too, and excellent service.

Forum Links
Forum Rules