Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How Apple got $300 more from me (iMac)

How Apple got $300 more from me (iMac)
mapdesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2007, 01:42 AM

Long time Mac user. My G4 died just before the new iMacs were released, so I waited and ordered just what I wanted-- the higher-end 20' iMac with increased RAM and hard drive. Loved it as I set it up, but then discovered an unfixable quality control issue. No matter what angle you viewed the screen at, the bottom of the screen was "blown out" (much lighter) compared to the top of the screen. Went through Apple support and eventually went to the Apple Store to look at other units. Sure enough, all of the 20" iMacs have this same problem. And realized that the 24" iMacs had a completely different manufacturer (or apparently so) and that the 24" one has a totally different screen quality. Once this flaw was observed, I could not use the 20" and had to upgrade to the 24". This is not some subtle thing, my teenage son and wife also were astounded at the problem. The default desktop blue swirly background obscures the problem because it's actually darker at the bottom than the top, hiding the screen problem. Here's the way to really see the flaw. Open 2 Finder windows and place one at the top of the screen and one so the header of the window is at the bottom of the screen. The "brushed metal" effect and the red/yellow/green dots look totally different. Check it out. Apple was good about letting me spend the extra money to switch it out without extra fees, but they're marketing this to "prosumers" and designers and putting out a totally shoddy piece of equipment.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2007, 01:47 AM

We've known this for about 2 months now...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2007, 08:34 AM

Well it's crazy that Apple actually ships their 20" iMacs with these poor quality LCD panels. Luckily the screen quality of my 24" iMac is absolutely gorgeous.

projektor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2007, 11:06 AM

Is this problem limited to the white iMac only, or are the new metal iMacs affected as well?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 12:31 PM

judging by post date, im sure this is regarding the new alu imacs.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

projektor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2007, 12:34 PM

I wasn't quite sure and it's a good thing to know before I invest in the new iMac in a few weeks

projektor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2007, 02:59 PM

I found the following that discusses this problem in more detail:

� Problem with 20 inch iMac screen - colours washed out � Silver Mac

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by mapdesign View Post
Sure enough, all of the 20" iMacs have this same problem.
Not all 20" iMacs have a problem. Mine is slightly lighter at the bottom than at the top-and I had to look hard, using the "two Finder windows" thing you mentioned, to see it. Frankly, on my screen, the slight drop off in brightness due to different viewing angles is about the same as the lightening effect in the display.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2007, 03:53 PM

The way I see it, its a consequence of consumer demand for cheaper Macs. How many times have you heard PC users say "Macs are so expensive!" ?
In many ways they were right all along. But then we 'had' better quality hardware. Thats why they were expensive.
Now the price has come down further, towards PC levels. *Shock horror* now the quality has come down to your average PC like level too.

When the price drops as much as it has, something had to give.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

mattnxtc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 12:53 PM

So this is only a problem with the 20inch models and not the 24inch?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mattnxtc View Post
So this is only a problem with the 20inch models and not the 24inch?
The screen is certainly noticeably better on the latest 24" iMacs. But often still not perfect (uneven illumination). Try and check some out in stores? Its quite evident generally.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules