Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Removing Windows Partition

Removing Windows Partition
mkerr64
Senior User
Apr 12, 2009, 01:47 PM

Hi there

I'm trying to remove a windows partition from my mac however this error constantly pops up

all external drivers are disconnected

and I have already used disk utilities to erase it but the same error appears
R.I.P Steve Jobs

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2009, 01:57 PM

Using Disk Utility to erase your Windows partition was a mistake, and that's why you're getting the bogus message. If you'd used Boot Camp Assistant to delete the partition before using DU, it would have completely deleted the partition and you wouldn't have had to worry about "erasing" it.

Now, it looks like your best (safest/quickest/easiest) route would be to back up your OS X partition on an external drive, boot from your OS X DVD and use Disk Utility from that (under Tools) to wipe the hard drive and make it a single, "Mac OS, Journaled" partition. When you're done, restore your backup.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Apr 12, 2009, 02:01 PM

That error also appeared before I erased it

and just yesterday i erased the whole drive but the partition remained for some reason
( Last edited by mkerr64; Apr 12, 2009 at 02:20 PM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2009, 02:59 PM

Just use Disk Utility to delete the partition. Boot Camp Assistant is just a front end to what Disk Utility can do.
Vandelay Industries

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2009, 03:16 PM

That's a different issue. In that case, "what Art said." Deleting the partition should clear up the issue, which may be caused by an error in the drive's partition table. Deleting the partition should fix the partition table.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Apr 12, 2009, 03:19 PM

How do i delete the partition through disk utility?

never mind I got it
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2009, 03:32 PM

Don't forget to resize your Mac partition to reclaim the space used by the Windows partition.
Vandelay Industries

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Apr 12, 2009, 05:35 PM

Thanks all for all of your help Art Vandelay and ghporter !!!!
R.I.P Steve Jobs

short on space
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Using Disk Utility to erase your Windows partition was a mistake, and that's why you're getting the bogus message. If you'd used Boot Camp Assistant to delete the partition before using DU, it would have completely deleted the partition and you wouldn't have had to worry about "erasing" it.

Now, it looks like your best (safest/quickest/easiest) route would be to back up your OS X partition on an external drive, boot from your OS X DVD and use Disk Utility from that (under Tools) to wipe the hard drive and make it a single, "Mac OS, Journaled" partition. When you're done, restore your backup.
I'm looking for similar help in that I want to remove the Windows and the partitioning of my hard drive. However, when I went to Boot Camp Assistant I got error message stating it has expired. Any other options for removing Windows and reducing down to 1 partition on my hard drive so that I can reclaim that disk space for OS X? FYI, I am not largely techie savvy. Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
May 6, 2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by short on space View Post
I'm looking for similar help in that I want to remove the Windows and the partitioning of my hard drive. However, when I went to Boot Camp Assistant I got error message stating it has expired. Any other options for removing Windows and reducing down to 1 partition on my hard drive so that I can reclaim that disk space for OS X? FYI, I am not largely techie savvy. Thanks.
Go into System Preferences|Date and Time, and set the date to somewhere in November of 2007. Use your BC Assistant to remove your no longer needed Windows partition. Restore the date to the current date. Done.

Somehow I would have thought that Apple would have at least left the "get rid of Windows" option running in the BC beta, but since they didn't, this is the simplest, safest, and easiest way to get rid of the unwanted partition.

short on space
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2009, 08:42 AM

Fantastic! Thank you for the tip. Problem solved with no issues and I have reclaimed nearly 14GB. Very pleased.

Forum Links
Forum Rules