Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Should I Get Iphone Now?

Should I Get Iphone Now? (Page 3)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 02:09 AM

!!!!!

-t

P
Feb 9, 2011, 06:29 AM

Given the latest rumors, my guess is that we'll see a dualcore CPU and a more powerful GPU as Apple pushes back against the PSP etc. Storage bump to 32/64 GB is a maybe. In general I suspect the next bump to be minor compared to the big change that was iPhone 4.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ditto. I killed the RFID chip in my Amex card.

In Europe, new credit cards require the use of a PIN. No more signature. That's much safer anyways.

-t
While not exactly pulling me in the way a dualie would, I love RFID. Especially with something like public transportation.

Chicago actually has a pretty geeked out system (for an American big city). RFID, GPS in the busses giving you accurate wait times on your phone, etc.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 06:51 AM

I'm hoping that the 5 will be to the 4 what the 3GS was for the 3G.

P
Feb 9, 2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Chicago actually has a pretty geeked out system (for an American big city). RFID, GPS in the busses giving you accurate wait times on your phone, etc.
We have that in Gothenburg, where I live. GPSes in all the buses, and then checking in and checking out (if you pass a zone boundary) with RFID cards - pretty much what you described.

Everyone absolutely hates it.

The GPS system fails intermittently when the satellites disappear behind a building, and suddenly you're overcharged. RFID is a good idea in theory, but as everyone already has three other cards, you can't really keep the bus pass in your wallet all the time as the cards interfere with each other. Since the pass card itself now costs money (technically a deposit that you get back when you hand it in) you can't just buy a new one if you left the existing pass at home. The only fallback is SMS, which is an issue when you have a company phone.

Maybe I shouldn't rag on the entire setup too much - the big flaws are that the GPS is not reliable enough and the overly complicated zone boundaries - but for RFID to work flawlessly, you need to cut down on the available cards so they don't interfere with each other. If Apple can solve that by putting everything in the phone, then great, but I can't imagine the hassle of having to communicate with all those million people that are trying to make it work. The sounds more like something for a standardization organization.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 09:55 AM

As long as I'm not personally identifiable, it's all great and good.

Plus, on the Amex / credit card chip thing, there's proof that people with simple gadgets can read out essential data from you while walking close to you. Not my cup of tea.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm hoping that the 5 will be to the 4 what the 3GS was for the 3G.
me too. then, I'll buy a used 4 as everyone jumps to the 5 bandwagon.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 10:13 AM

!!!!!

-t
I gotta say, Android 3.0 looks pretty nice. if keyboard control and zooming in browsers feel better to me, I might be forced to consider Android when I upgrade this summer.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2011, 03:18 PM

Plus, on the Amex / credit card chip thing, there's proof that people with simple gadgets can read out essential data from you while walking close to you. Not my cup of tea.

-t
are there any credit card "envelopes" or "jackets" that isolate the credit card, keep it from broadcasting? something with metallic fibers woven in?

an aluminum foil wrap would work, right? though probably hard to keep sliding the card in and out.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
We have that in Gothenburg, where I live. GPSes in all the buses, and then checking in and checking out (if you pass a zone boundary) with RFID cards - pretty much what you described.

Everyone absolutely hates it.
That sounds pretty horrible.

Our setup is zone free, so all a failed GPS means is an inaccurate wait time. You pay "full price" ($2 or so) when you enter the system, and then can switch to other lines/routes over the next hour or two for 25¢. There are some "free transfer" exceptions too, like when you switch to nearby lines.

The RFID itself needs to be slapped against a reader to work, which activates the turnstile, or stops the bus driver from going "hey... HEY!"

The downside is that it's American public transportation, so everything else sucks. The buses don't run often enough and are slow as molasses. The train is better, but there are vast swaths of the city which are totally inaccessible with it. I'm lucky enough to live near a big station (three of the four northbound lines intersect there) and when I need to go someplace it's usually downtown, which being the central hub, is also accessible.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 09:41 PM

-t
Are you sure Amex doesn't encrypt?

Also, I don't know how often you use your card, but if it's a lot, you pretty much can't help giving your number away to shady strangers.

I also don't know how stringent Amex is with the fraud protection, but my bank is frigging insane. I get my card frozen about once a month, for stuff I do all the time.

On top of all this, my bank claims it's encrypted anyway, and has never given me a problem with a disputed claim.

I'm far more worried the delivery guy will put his dong on my pizza.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 09:46 PM

Are you sure Amex doesn't encrypt?
Dunno. Probably yes, but rather weak.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...2_ztQemStqbEYQ

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 09:56 PM

Dunno. Probably yes, but rather weak.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...2_ztQemStqbEYQ

-t
I'm going to guess you're not trying to send us to "Justin Bieber never says 'no means NO!!'"

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
are there any credit card "envelopes" or "jackets" that isolate the credit card, keep it from broadcasting? something with metallic fibers woven in?

an aluminum foil wrap would work, right? though probably hard to keep sliding the card in and out.
Credit Card Sleeve By Identity Stronghold On Pitchmen

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2011, 12:16 PM

Thanks! And it looks like 3M is getting in on the action:

Data Protection Sleeves

$6 for credit card, $10 for passport. With some very proud marketing:

"3M™ Data Protection Sleeves that shield smart cards and passports can help. But not all data protection sleeves are the same.

"Some use aluminum coated paper and adhesives that may show signs of wear in just a few days or weeks."

"However, 3M™ Data Protection Sleeves protect valuable information on smart cards and passports with advanced copper engineering and strong polyester construction that minimize wear and tear as you repeatedly insert your card. And only 3M™ Data Protection Sleeves feature unique 3M papers and adhesives that bond the protective elements for a sturdy, durable, waterproof construction."

"The result is protection that's strong and can last for years."

"In short, better construction equals better security."

Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2011, 10:22 PM

The answer is yes; if you want one now, it's a good time to buy one now
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2011, 11:01 PM

My wife and I have pretty well decided to go for it as soon as we get the time. We got our son a Dell Streak, which he loves, and my wife's phone is on its best behavior lately, so if it's not this weekend, next weekend will be fine.

Right now it looks like we'll get them at Best Buy and take advantage of their no interest financing deal...that could change depending on their stock levels.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules