Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > speeding up startup times?

speeding up startup times?
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 05:13 PM

I've had a 12" PowerBook since february, and the whole time i've had it it's taken right around 4 minutes to boot, from off to desktop. i tried booting in verbose mode, and it pauses for about 10 seconds on 'Checking Disks' but then stops again for around 3 minutes on the following line:

PB6_1_PlatformMonitor::registerConSensor - type 3, csi 2, subsi 5
does anyone know what causes this, and what might fix this? In another topic where someone's computer stopped on Checking Disks, they said that running fsck -y from single user mode fixed it, but that's not where my computer hands the most.. should i still try this?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2003, 05:22 PM

No idea why this is happening really, I get it too though. My solution is just to sleep my PB rather than shutting it down (startup takes more power than wake, anyway).

If I get really bored over the summer I might look into it, I guess... Can you say kernel debugging? Well, I got results last time I tried, despite being clueless

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 05:58 PM

yeah, i sleep it as much as possible, too, but since 10.2.6 i've been having some stability issues (usually when i leave iTunes open and the computer goes to sleep; when i wake it up iTunes freezes and i have to restart the computer to fix it - why i want to get an iPod ) and i usually have to restart once a day, so this has gotten to be more of an issue.

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 06:05 PM

I forget which file it is but there is a script of startup events that you can modify. The longest part of startup is usually the disk scan at the beginning (gray screen). The computer run fsck on itself to make sure your data is intact.

benb
May 12, 2003, 03:41 PM

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that enabling journaling disables the disk check at startup, and can save a few seconds. You take a speed hit everywhere else though. You could also look into Diabolotin (sp?). It is a pref pane that allows you to diable services at startup. I disabled SendMail, BIND, and a few other services that I don't use. Not sure how much of a difference it made though.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2003, 04:19 PM

I would be interested in an App that did this as well. Or at least a way to do it. I don't mind hacking the system if it will work.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

benb
May 12, 2003, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I would be interested in an App that did this as well. Or at least a way to do it. I don't mind hacking the system if it will work.
When I got home from work I cheked Diablotin on my machine. Here is the link . I use it to disable SendMail, Apache, and BIND at startup. You can also limit fonts, sounds, plug-ins, QuickTime extensions...etc. If you want control over what is loaded by default (ala OS 9), I would give it a shot. I have not experienced any problems with it so far. Just don't go disabling CoreGraphics and you should be ok.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
May 13, 2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
I've had a 12" PowerBook since february, and the whole time i've had it it's taken right around 4 minutes to boot, from off to desktop.
Not sure if you have already eliminate this possibility: have you turn off the option to automatically sync the system clock with a time server. I am guessing your PowerBook might be trying to access the internet for time server etc (without the ethernet plugged to your cable/DSL modem/router or AirPort network running), and it just "keep on looking for network" unless the time out??

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by benb:
When I got home from work I cheked Diablotin on my machine. Here is the link . I use it to disable SendMail, Apache, and BIND at startup. You can also limit fonts, sounds, plug-ins, QuickTime extensions...etc. If you want control over what is loaded by default (ala OS 9), I would give it a shot. I have not experienced any problems with it so far. Just don't go disabling CoreGraphics and you should be ok.
Cool app. Just played with it a bit, trying to see what I can disable without fscking my system. I know there are certain things like core graphics that I shouldn't uncheck.

Start up time seemed a little faster.

real
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2003, 02:50 PM

Can someone who has used Diablotin give a list of what you have turned. or is there a place that explains what all that stuff does so I can know what I am turning off. It seems like a good idea but dont wnat to turn off something that I need.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by real:
Can someone who has used Diablotin give a list of what you have turned. or is there a place that explains what all that stuff does so I can know what I am turning off. It seems like a good idea but dont wnat to turn off something that I need.
Under Startup Items Since I don't use it I disabled Apache,BIND,SAMBA,Sendmail.

Under Pref Panes - I don't use Classic so I disabled that, And Universal Access.

Under Menu Options I disabled IrDA, PCCard (since I use an ibook) If you have Cable or are connected to dialup and don't have DSL you could probably disable PPPOe as well.

I only disabled stuff like that I knew wouldn't have any ill effects on the system. Other stuff like AppServices and Core graphics I kept enabled since it would probably muck up the system if I disabled them.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
May 14, 2003, 05:30 PM

That's amazing, I'm using a PB Pismo 400mhs, 768 mg ram and a 40gig HD and it takes around20-30 seconds to boot up.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2003, 06:04 PM

I'm getting the long start ups too, I kind of figured I could do with that now.

However, I try to keep the book sleeping most of the time vs. shutting off, but sometimes I'll open up the book and the screen is real real dim, I could barely see anything! Nothing I do will bring the screen back to its original setting. I have disconnect the AC (if connected) and pull the battery and restart the machine. Anyone else getting this on their 12"?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2003, 01:08 PM

Under Startup Items Since I don't use it I disabled Apache,BIND,SAMBA,Sendmail.
These startupitems don't actually take any time to execute unless you enable them. See /etc/hostconfig.

Under Pref Panes - I don't use Classic so I disabled that, And Universal Access.
You might have managed to shave 0.5s off launching the System Preferences application, if that (probably not, I'm not even sure if the bundles are loaded until you click on them).

Under Menu Options I disabled IrDA, PCCard (since I use an ibook) If you have Cable or are connected to dialup and don't have DSL you could probably disable PPPOe as well.
These make no difference unless you actually have them in your menu bar, if you don't have them there it's equivalent to them being "disabled".

All in all, Diablotin or whatever seems to be a bit pointless.

benb
May 15, 2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
These make no difference unless you actually have them in your menu bar, if you don't have them there it's equivalent to them being "disabled".

Thanks for that info. Learn something new everyday.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2003, 02:31 PM

These startupitems don't actually take any time to execute unless you enable them. See /etc/hostconfig.

You might have managed to shave 0.5s off launching the System Preferences application, if that (probably not, I'm not even sure if the bundles are loaded until you click on them).

Yes but these things in Diablotin say they are enabled. If they are enabled I would assume they get loaded so that when you do have something that uses it they automatically get loaded. For Example INK says it's enabled but not loaded, When you plug in a tablet it automatically loads Ink. I think disabling them might help.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2003, 02:51 PM

Yes but these things in Diablotin say they are enabled. If they are enabled I would assume they get loaded so that when you do have something that uses it they automatically get loaded. For Example INK says it's enabled but not loaded, When you plug in a tablet it automatically loads Ink. I think disabling them might help.
This doesn't make sense for the things indicated above. OK, this might be the case for Ink, but unless you have a tablet I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say it's better to leave them where they are so they can be loaded on demand as/when you need them, rather than possibly cause problems. This is unrelated to startup times, anyway.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2003, 12:11 PM

This doesn't make sense for the things indicated above. OK, this might be the case for Ink, but unless you have a tablet I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say it's better to leave them where they are so they can be loaded on demand as/when you need them, rather than possibly cause problems. This is unrelated to startup times, anyway.
If you are not using things like SAMBA on a local machine or Apache or things like that why have them enabled. They are still loaded I believe so that when needed they can be used. If someone is on a home network and not using network printing or accessing Windows files there is no need for SAMBA. I disabled a few things on my Sawtooth G4 and it did seem to boot quicker. Like I said I would advise disabling things that are not system critical like SAMBA or Apache if you know you are not going to use them. The less the system needs to load the quicker it should boot up (theoretically). Another thing I disabled was classic from the System prefs. I don't have classic installed and probably won't anymore why clutter up the system prefs. Anyway to each his own.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2003, 12:15 PM

Another thing that might help speed up boot time is unchecking use Network time server in date and time prefs pane.

K++
Senior User
May 16, 2003, 02:04 PM

Your correct about the first one and on the second the bundle's aren't technically loaded until you click them. When you open System prefs, it scans for the known Bundle icons and then everything else it finds, it throws in Other.

So he has shaved near no time on the launch of System Prefs since loading icons isn't the major time suck and everything else does basically nothing.

K++
Senior User
May 16, 2003, 02:12 PM

If you are not using things like SAMBA on a local machine or Apache or things like that why have them enabled. They are still loaded I believe so that when needed they can be used. If someone is on a home network and not using network printing or accessing Windows files there is no need for SAMBA. I disabled a few things on my Sawtooth G4 and it did seem to boot quicker. Like I said I would advise disabling things that are not system critical like SAMBA or Apache if you know you are not going to use them. The less the system needs to load the quicker it should boot up (theoretically). Another thing I disabled was classic from the System prefs. I don't have classic installed and probably won't anymore why clutter up the system prefs. Anyway to each his own.
Like the post I quoted prior pointed out, none of these services are loaded until you turn them on. All diabolitin is telling you is whats AVAILABLE not whats actually IN USE. In order for that to do anything you would have to have been using Apache, same with SAMBA and same for all the other optional services. The percieved faster startup time is imaginary.

This is why I hate little third party extensions like this since it leads peopel to believe things that are untrue about thier system. I do all my "hacking" manually since I know exactly what does what, when it does it, and why. Unless Diaboliton explains what the service/extension/prefPanel is and what the effects of turning it off are it is a useless toy that will eventually fsck your system the one day you want service/extension/prefPanel Z and you turned it off since you didnt know that when you run application Y, that Z is needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules