Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSkin eXo Review

iSkin eXo Review
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 04:12 PM

My White Frost iSkin eXo finally got here after almost a month and a half of waiting (coincidentally, that was around how long i had to wait for my iPod from Dell, too). Now that i finally got it, i'm pretty happy with it. Here's my little review:

Design

It seems to be designed very well, with everything fitting properly and all of the holes in the right place. The hold button is a bit tricky to get to since the hole for it is cut perfectly around it, so you sort of have to stretch the iSkin back and flick it with your fingernail. Not a big deal, though, once you get the knack for it. It's a bit of a squeeze to get it in (since, unlike the old design, the top isn't open -- much better, in my opinion, since the iPod is now protected on all sides. I haven't tried docking it with the bottom part stretched back as they advertise on the site, and i'm not sure how often i will, since a) that requires a fair amount of work to get it stretched off, and b) that seems like it would put a lot of stress on the rather thin bits between the scroll wheel and the Menu/Play buttons.

Build Quality

The build quality seems great. looking over it, i can't find any flaws, even minor ones. the color is consistent (though white probably isn't hard to botch) and everything fits properly. There is a fairly obvious seam around the edge, but it doesn't seem to be any more of a weak point than the rest of it is, so i don't expect it to snap or tear with normal use

Screen Protector

The Screen protector is made out of a slightly rubbery flexible plastic and sticks ("clings" is probably a better word) to the iPod screen quite well. This also makes it a challenge to get in. They suggest putting it on after the iPod is already 'Skinned, but i found it easier to pull the top half of the iSkin off and place the Screen Protector, and then replace the top of the 'Skin. Small air bubbles can form underneath the screen protector that are hard to get out without re-seating it, but i think with a couple tries you could get it on without those.

Belt Clip

The metal stud in the back of the iSkin seems to be seated quite well, and i'm sure it won't come out, even with quite a bit of tugging. The belt clip part of it feels a bit flimsy and cheap, but is probably plenty strong to hold up the scant weight of the iPod.

MaClear Pouch

This only applies to those who pre-ordered their iSkins, but i figured i'd mention it anyway. It feels like it's made of the same material as the Screen protector, but a bit thinner. The zipper is plastic, and there's a little flap of the case that goes under the zipper, so the iPod should be safe from the zipper while inside. It will fit in the clear case while 'Skinned, i think, but it's a tight fit, especially since the combined traction of the silicone iSkin and rubbery MaClear case make it quite a challenge to slide it into the bottom 1/4" or so of the pouch, which is critical to its fitting.

Conclusion

Overall, i'm very satisfied with it. It leaves everything accessible, gives you a good grip on it, and, most of all, protects nearly all of your iPod from (additional) scratches. for $35, i'd say it's a great deal for that kind of protection.

Overall Score: 9.5 / 10

Pros: Protects the iPod and its screen quite well. Very grippy

Cons: Hold Button tricky to get to. Screen protector a challenge to apply.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 01:05 PM

anybody want pictures or anything...?

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Aug 26, 2003, 02:01 PM

Yes, Pics please!

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2003, 02:21 PM

Nice review! Put some pictures up... I'd like to see how it looks on someone's iPod before I order one myself.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 02:26 PM

Pictures:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5 (holding up the iPod by only the belt clip)

edit: ack, didn't realize 1, 2, and 3 were out of focus. i'll retake them if someone wants better ones.

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 06:33 AM

Looks good, thanks for posting pics.

I have ordered one, green glow in the dark!

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 02:17 PM

Here's my experience,

Received a defective Iskin, had a cut in it. It took 2 weeks to get in contact with ackKNOWLEDGE, finally someone called and said that this was a known problem they were having, and she'd send a return envelope.

Another week to recieve a return envelope.

Now, another 3 weeks later after sending it off, I have not heard anything back and my latest emails have received no reply. So as of now I'm out $40 and no iskin. ackKNOWLEDGE is probably the worst online purchasing experience I've had to date.

Just a warning.

Edit: What do you know, finally showed up today, even though it wasn't the one I asked to be exchanged with.

A few disappointments, the belt clip is very weak and the glow on the Electra is green, not blue like it shows on the website. I would think all the colors glow green since they're using the same tech for the glow, yet they show them glowing the actual color of the iskin.
( Last edited by slffl; Oct 28, 2003 at 03:10 PM. )

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 04:41 PM

I too have an Electra blue exo. The glow in the dark feature is essentially useless to me, I was caught up in the novelty of the thing. I do like it, though. It protects the pod. It does seem to attract dust, but I don't lead a very dusty lifestyle, so no big deal. Belt clip schmelt clip, only nerds wear belt clips.

I also have their keyboard protector for my tibook and I frigging love it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2003, 10:20 PM

Anyone use non-Apple headphones with it? I'm thinking of using the exo2 with Etymotics. Should be fine though.

I'll check them out in the store soon.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 26, 2003 at 10:25 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules