Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bug List For 10.3

Bug List For 10.3
Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 11:57 PM

I thought it might be handy if people contributed to this thread and added any info of bugs they have found in 10.3 so far, to form what could be a helpful (and hopefully short) list..

I've only found 2 (fairly) small ones..

1, Desktop icon shadows sometimes go a bit cranky (small bug, but a bug all the same)

2, iDisk/.Mac auto syncing.. When it kicks in, file navigation windows get very screwy. The blue scroll bar wont work (Up down buttons do work though), and the text within often goes haywire. All returns to normal as soon as the syncing is done (i've seen this on 3 different Macs running 10.3).
( Last edited by Grrr; Oct 25, 2003 at 12:03 AM. )
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 12:23 AM

I'm here on a 17" iMac 1 GHz and the voices that speak text and alerts are stu...stu...studdering. Not nearly as smooth as in Jaguar.

Not a bug I think some of these voices are new.
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 12:24 AM

Narrower than usual fonts...I don't know if this is a bug, but some fonts seemed squished.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 12:54 AM

i seem to have 2 system preference apps...
1 in applications, 1 in utilities (did an archive & install, btw)

the one in utils is a little weird (where panes are placed), so deleted that one.

living dangerously??

anyone else find this???
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 01:03 AM

I don't have two system prefs

if you activate fast user switching and delete the menu applet (don't know the proper term) it will move the clock over on top of the text that shouldn't be there because I had deleted it but still is..

nedloftj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 01:10 AM

Well, there seems to be a bug in that the Network Browser won't let you save/use passwords in the Keychain. (yet it attempts to do so and Mac Help says you can)

geekwagon
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 01:27 AM

On a 23" Studio Display as icons show up on my desktop (from downloads, drive mounts, whatever) they will go down the right side of the screen and pile up in a little corner at the bottom right. They never start a new row to the left of the first one. This bug has been there since the first WWDC build. None of my Powerbooks do this so I think it must be related to the 1200 pixel vertical resolution on the 23".

Happened with an upgrade from 10.2.6 and a clean install.

rlotz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 01:32 AM

Is anyone else seeing this screen saver bug?

To be fair this is from the GM (7B85) I downloaded, but I'm sitting with a boxed copy next to me. I hope that they really are the same and I'm not going to have to re-install it.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Grrr:
I thought it might be handy if people contributed to this thread and added any info of bugs they have found in 10.3 so far, to form what could be a helpful (and hopefully short) list..
Mail.app showing number of unread messages even though I quit it (sometimes). You know that little red badge.
( Last edited by Musti; Aug 27, 2004 at 06:11 AM. )

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 02:08 AM

Weird... I'm not having any of the problems you guys are talking about.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 03:25 AM

I was going to start this thread earlier, but it looks like I screwed around for too long

GUI bugs I have found so far in 7B85 (since I like media and demonstrations):
Overlapping "tooltips" if two Finder windows are close to each other (only the "tooltip" to the foremost window should be visible):

Finder Get Info windows pushbuttons overlap the separators:

Finder Toolbar Hide/Reveal control moves position when used (can only see what appears to be the cursor moving, but the window position actually moves, creating a terrible moving target. Crappy gif animation, but I didn't feel like making a movie):

Lastly, it's possible to orphan a Finder "tooltip" while using Expose, and this orphaned tip does not respond to clicking in any way. Clicking seems to "bleed" through the tooltip, responding to the desktop instead. Using Expose again does not correct or change the orphaned window: Click for movie (55K)
(movie would have been smoother if moki let me test SPX2, or even responded to my private msg *ahem*).

I'll post more GUI pitfalls when I get the chance (I'd love for webscreamer to post his official list of interface bugs)

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 03:49 AM

This is regarding mail.app .....

if you have multiple accounts, you'll have a main [big] Inbox (outbox, sent, trash) icon and smaller icons listing your other accounts.

If you click on the smaller icons and resize the columns so the date AND time are displayed, it won't stick like that if you click on the big Inbox icon.

If you click on the big icon, it'll reset your column settings [or @ least so that now only the DATE shows and not the date AND time]

hope that made sense?

dantley
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 03:59 AM

Regarding the icons piling up on the bottom right side of the screen... I am having this problem with my dual G5 and a 20" Cinema Display. My resolution is set to 1680x1050.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 25, 2003, 04:12 AM

Go into MS Word, try to fax, then pull up the address book in the fax dialogue. Locks up.

"Hello, what have we here?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 04:48 AM

Backlighting on the keyboard seems glitchy on my 15 inch powerbook. Tells me I can't turn it on, but switching to another user allows it to turn on with no change in ambient light. Still haven't pinned down a root cause for the problems, but definitly there are a few. Never had keyboard lighting issues in 10.2.7 or 10.2.8.
<This space under renovation>

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 05:22 AM

Another fun movie. If you are editing the name of a file in the Finder and use Expose reveal Desktop, instead of fading out the file name goes to the side. I guess it is a small window of its own, but some windows like floaters sometimes fade out instead of moving (still trying to pin down the exact behavior). In any case, it looks kind of strange.

Click for movie (40K)

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Go into MS Word, try to fax, then pull up the address book in the fax dialogue. Locks up.
Also happens in Fire. So much for the theory about it being a Carbon app problem.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2003, 06:13 AM

This might be a useful topic for a little while, and could help (hopefully) keep people from starting new "PANTHER OMG HELP!" threads. I'll make it sticky.

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 06:26 AM

The 'green resize blob' does not work properly for the Finder's list view. You get the right height, but not width. The scrollbars are still visible

-mrwalker

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 07:16 AM

After an archvive and install, using Top then cancelling the process by either using ctrl-c, or command-., will clear the Terminal screen and bring you back to a prompt. THe way it used t work before, would be to bring you back to a prompt, but leave the Top output displayed above.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2003, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
After an archvive and install, using Top then cancelling the process by either using ctrl-c, or command-., will clear the Terminal screen and bring you back to a prompt. THe way it used t work before, would be to bring you back to a prompt, but leave the Top output displayed above.
That's not a bug. I've seen many other terminal apps and many other platforms do this as well. I do prefer the old behavior, however.


sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
That's not a bug. I've seen many other terminal apps and many other platforms do this as well. I do prefer the old behavior, however.
Hmm, I'd like it to go back to the old behaviour, so that I can kill a process while in the same Terminal window, any clues how I can do that?

What I am finding in Panther, is that after an Archive & Install, lots of jaguar porgrams will still work, like Proteus, and bit torrent, whereas, with a clean install, they won't run, or are broken. Maybe it might be useful for people to back up their prefs before a clean install.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 07:37 AM

Select a text label in the finder as if you are going to edit it.

Activate Expose all windows.

RAAHHHH!

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:
but some windows like floaters sometimes fade out instead of moving (still trying to pin down the exact behavior)
Palettes fade out - they are not windows.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 08:52 AM

An smb share (laptop) doesn't show up in the network, going to monkey around and try to nail down why--another share (desktop) shows up just fine.
i look in your general direction

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 09:40 AM

1. Crashes Lombard Powerbooks with a garbled screen. Taking out one of the RAM modules fixes the problem.

2. When having Filevault enabled and Websharing enabled your sites folder is not accessable to others.

3. With Filevault enabled and your computer crashes it might happen that your Filevault disk image is not mounted properly and you get a default home folder. Restarting the computer again usually takes care of that problem.

//Rob

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 09:48 AM

I don't believe this was supposed to stay in Sherlock. Oops.

dcsmrgun
Oct 25, 2003, 11:26 AM

- Open terminal.
- Open any other large window.
- Place terminal in front of large window.
- Set terminal transparency to ~30% (in my experience, i haven't tried other opacities)
- Do something in terminal which will show a lot of output. ps aux is always a good candidate.
- Focus other large window so it is slightly covering, or completely covering terminal.
- Focus back to terminal
- type clear in terminal

You should now have afterimages of your ps aux text. Look carefully.

I've been able to reproduce this 100% of the time on a clean install of Panther. Granted I'm still on 7B85 from the ADC, but since thats what finder reports official Panther is, I have no reason to believe this won't be an issue in the OS whose CDs just came to my door today.

EatingPie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 11:48 AM

I was in the middle of posting this exact "burn-in" bug!!! (Note to self: type faster.)

I can verify that it occurs at any transparency, most noticable at 100%. It also occurs after about 10-20 seconds of static text. It's not immediate!

It also seems to be a Panther bug and not necessarily a Terminal bug. I tried this with Jaguar's terminal loaded into Panther, and it did the same thing (it doesn't in Jaguar).

I think Panther is creating a shadow of the text against your desktop. When you clear your window the "shadow" or burn in remains behind. To clear it, click another running application in your Dock.

-Pie

Just because I like pie doesn't mean I'm a pussy.

romanesq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 11:52 AM

the application appears open but it does not show the application.

seems like a bug
Well, aye hearrrrr you

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 12:27 PM

In Finder List view, you can no longer option-click a filename to change it immediately (without the 2 second pause you get when you click the filename normally).

If you have a file in Finder and there's a file with the same name in the trash, when you throw away the Finder file by hitting cmd-del, you see the filename change quickly before the file disappears.

I got the Finder to freeze up once by deleting a file while I was in the middle of renaming it, but I don't remember specifics.

Good thread, by the way!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
1. Desktop icon shadows sometimes go a bit cranky (small bug, but a bug all the same)
I am affected by this as well...have done both a Clean and Archive/Install and see the same thing...is this widespread by alot of users? I don't see some people complaining about it, but I sure hope a future update fixes it...

Carlos7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 01:08 PM

It also seems to be a Panther bug and not necessarily a Terminal bug.
Actually, this bug also affects Terminal in OS 10.1. It even happens sometimes when the text scrolls back to make space for new output; the old position of the text still has a ghost image. I had really hoped this would be fixed in 10.2 or 10.3 ....

train
Oct 25, 2003, 01:20 PM

In the finder, if you go to your music, select an MP3, and play it in the finder preview, then go to the desktop while it's playing and try to select a bunch of files (by dragging a rectangle), the dragging/rectangles go all screwy.

As soon as the MP3 is paused, the selections work perfectly again.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Carlos7:
Actually, this bug also affects Terminal in OS 10.1. It even happens sometimes when the text scrolls back to make space for new output; the old position of the text still has a ghost image. I had really hoped this would be fixed in 10.2 or 10.3 ....

Yeah....it has been that way since DP3 of 10.0 (after doing the transparency hack--of course)
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
I don't believe this was supposed to stay in Sherlock. Oops.

huh, that's not in my Sherlock.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Ti X
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 01:39 PM

When using an automount share from osx server v.10.2, login is unbelievably slow and screwy. Sometimes it doesn't recognize my password until the second try, and then my preferences all revert to default. So I shut off automount, and netinfo in directory access for now, but now I get a flashing world icon and then a flashing system folder with a question mark before the gray apple screen. But login is back to normal speed.

Besides that a lot of my preferences keep changing on their own.

Last, my airport signal strength is reduced to three bars, even when my PowerBook is two feet away from the base station. Although I believe it is just a readout problem because it stays at three bars for the first 50ft where it usually reads four bars.

I think that Apple pushed this out the door in order to make an internal deadline before polishing it completely. I think we will see a point update in a week or two.
15" AI PowerBook
17" PowerBook 1GB RAM
15" PowerBook 512MB RAM
700Mhz iBook

cygsid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 02:02 PM

Great idea, this thread! Especially for late adopters like me. Thanks guys

Kwad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 02:04 PM

I had wanted to know where that interface was in Sherlock that you speak of?
Kwad

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 02:21 PM

While this is a great thread and all, you are posting these bugs with Apple, aren't you?

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 02:25 PM

Ooops, ignore, i slipped up
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2003, 02:49 PM

As noted in other threads, Panther breaks support for aftermarket GeForce cards in Sawtooth machines.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 03:06 PM

Here's my little in-progress list. It'll take me another few days to write up test projects for the new API bugs so most of it is piddly user level stuff.

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
While this is a great thread and all, you are posting these bugs with Apple, aren't you?
for those who don't know how:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 03:36 PM

also, a bug i found:
after creating a striped RAID of a usb floppy disk and a firewire hard drive, i got a system dump on the top left of my screen (didn't even give me the kernel panic). hehe. i doubt this'll be a practical problem (although jaguar could handle RAID arrays of usb floppy drives).

edit: finder keeps arranging icons below my dock (3-dimensional under.. i can still get to them if i hide the dock).
also in finder: most of my icon-view folders were organized into 3 columns, but the new finder columns are wider and i have to have a *huge* finder window to maintain the 3-column setup. this wouldn't be so much of a problem if i weren't on a 12" powerbook w/ 1024x768 max. resolution, but i am so it is.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 03:38 PM

This one's minor as minor gets.

The color of the floating cpu monitor seems to be stuck on the bright green color. There no longer seems to be any preferences in the "Activity Monitor" utility app.

No biggie, it's just that I had a different color with my desktop.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 03:57 PM

1. click on your HD and go to applications
2. click on Application folder in your sidebar
3. structure isn't updated

this also works for all other folders in your sidebar

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Daniel Bayer:
This one's minor as minor gets.

The color of the floating cpu monitor seems to be stuck on the bright green color. There no longer seems to be any preferences in the "Activity Monitor" utility app.

No biggie, it's just that I had a different color with my desktop.
Sure you can, simply click on the color box of whatever is it you are wanting to change (for example, CPU % User) and change the color to your liking....it will update the floating CPU monitor with whatever color you choose...

geekwagon
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
Hmm, I'd like it to go back to the old behaviour, so that I can kill a process while in the same Terminal window, any clues how I can do that?

What I am finding in Panther, is that after an Archive & Install, lots of jaguar porgrams will still work, like Proteus, and bit torrent, whereas, with a clean install, they won't run, or are broken. Maybe it might be useful for people to back up their prefs before a clean install.
This isn't a bug, in fact it is fixing a bug as that is the way that top is supposed to act. It didn't work before because Apple used to default the TERM environment variable to be Apple_Terminal which top didn't know had a "buffer the contents of the screen" function. Now Apple has changed the default to xterm-color which is much more compatible with *nix software.

See my post at the end of this thread:

10.3 Terminal behaves differently.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2003, 06:18 PM

I cannot use more than one network connection at once. For example, if I dial up with my modem, I can no connect to servers on my network via Airport. It appears to be related to the network connection priorities. This is a big one for me. Any time I need to fetch something off my server I have to disconnect.

And before you ask, my server would be sharing my internet connection over my network, but Panther server does not recognize the internal modem as a valid networking port under NAT, only the ethernet and firewire. It works fine under everything else for simple dialing up, but not NAT.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules