Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Former American hostage underwent surgery

Former American hostage underwent surgery
angaq0k
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 04:08 PM

Former American hostage underwent surgery during Iraqi ordeal
By HANNAH LOBEL Associated Press Writer
5/4/2004 2:41:00 PM

LANDSTUHL, Germany (AP) -- Thomas Hamill's kidnappers had surgery performed on his wounded arm during his three weeks of captivity in Iraq, an Army doctor said Tuesday.
Amazing that those terrible kidnappers could show more humanity than some of their liberators...

Hamill was shot in the arm and struck in the head with a rifle butt when his convoy was ambushed on April 9. He underwent surgery that cleaned away dead tissue after about a week in captivity, though it's unclear whether he was taken to a clinic or a doctor came to him, Jepsen told reporters. His bandages were changed daily and he got antibiotics.

His English-speaking captors initially "left him with some water and a couple packages of cookies," Jepsen said. "He did say he was fed regularly."
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
Amazing that those terrible kidnappers could show more humanity than some of their liberators...
You realize that they planned to kill him, right? That's why he said he risked his life making his escape.

Also, this is just one article from April, 2003:

Sixty-one percent of the Comfort's [a US Navy hospital ship] surgical caseload thus far has been administered to EPWs [Enemy Prisoners of War], Jones noted. About 28 percent of the caseload went to U.S. and coalition troops, and 11 percent to Iraqi civilians.

All patients aboard the Comfort require "nourishment, pain medication and, in most cases, antibiotics," noted Cmdr. Tommy Stewart, the ship's chief nurse.

Another key issue: staff safety involved in treating enemy prisoners of war, Stewart remarked, noting that two masters of arms watch over each EPW medical ward. Also, he continued, all sharp objects and other potential weapons are put out of prisoners' reach.

Stewart emphasized that the medical care provided to EPWs aboard the Comfort "is no different than that provided to any other sick or injured individual."
Link

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 09:06 AM

Like his co-workers they murdered in front of him?
Like the Italian aid worker shot on Arab TV?

Oh yeah, that's real humanitarian.

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 09:34 AM

Have you checked both sides of the story?

angaq0k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 10:09 AM

It is still amazing he got surgery. Don't you think?

I understand they said they planned to kill him. That does not excuse their behavior or their plans.

I am not supporting the taking of hostages, let alone their killing or torture, from whatever side I might add.

I am just surprised they took care of him that much...

Well, I guess that's no different than providing medical care for the guys going on death row...
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

dcolton
Banned
May 5, 2004, 10:11 AM

It is still amazing he got surgery. Don't you think?

I understand they said they planned to kill him. That does not excuse their behavior or their plans.

I am not supporting the taking of hostages, let alone their killing or torture, from whatever side I might add.

Well, I guess that's no different than providing medical care for the guys going on death row...
I agree that is is amazing that he recieved surgery. Maybe they aren't savages after all....

Wait a second, THEY WERE GOING TO KILL HIM

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 10:22 AM

Maybe they didn't want him to die until they were ready for him to die. I mean, you have to but the videotape, set up the backdrop . . .

benb
May 5, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by dcolton:
I agree that is is amazing that he recieved surgery. Maybe they aren't savages after all....

Wait a second, THEY WERE GOING TO KILL HIM
Gee, I almost missed the absurdity in that post.

Now, I am going to shoot the terrorist to win iPod!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 02:27 PM

I think this proves how slanted the media can be.

angaq0k makes a good point. Just about all US media has refused to go into any detail about positive treatment. They have been with holding quite a bit of information that the rest of the world has seen.

But they also are very willing to show how American soldiers can abuse prisoners. And they are willing to show how this case is out of proportion compared to all the solders in Iraq.

It's just rather strange that the US media is so slanted. This isn't the first time a US hostage recieved medical aid. Nazi's, Japaneese, Vietnam, really every war had cases of both sides. Some cases it all came out earlier, some later.

Reminds me of the captured pilot from the battle of Mogadishu. He was almost killed when captured, shot at in a jail cell, but later on, he was put in the care of another man, who gave him a Bible (which he noted every minute of his captivity), but was treated rather well. What the history books say is that he was abused for 11 days, or however long it was, but in actuality, he was taken care of and treated for most of the time, after the fools shot at him in a jail cell.

The US does it, and I'm sure the Arab community will be slanting as well... it gives soldiers a bad image. I'm sure 99% of the soldiers are just doing their job by the books. It's that 1% that's going to cause a lot of hatred towards America, and already has caused signifigant damage, which will result in lost lives on both sides. Who ever said you can't make a difference?

Slanting is bad... but it's not a foreign issue. The US is one of the worst. The problem is the people assume "freedom of speach" means that the media will show it all.. it just means they "could".

Also note our FCC "protects" us from the real war video the rest of the world watches. We see these silly PR clips, while the rest of the world sees what's really happening. Check some foreign news sites from Europe or Asia, and you'll be suprised how much blood a war contains. When it really shouldn't be a suprise.

Slanting is bad... but it's not just one group who does it... EVERYONE does it.

PacHead
Baninated
May 5, 2004, 02:50 PM

The Nazi SS Dr. Mengele did surgery also, big deal.

So, Thomas Hamill got operated on, before they were about to kill him, how humane of those extremely nice, loving and caring people.

At least if he got his head chopped off, or his throat slit, or his body burned alive and hung from a bridge, I'm sure we all would take comfort in the fact that his bullet wound was ok at least.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Maybe they didn't want him to die until they were ready for him to die. I mean, you have to but the videotape, set up the backdrop . . .
My thoughts as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules