Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What are the odds for a G5 iMac 30"?

What are the odds for a G5 iMac 30"?
angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 09:11 PM

I am interested in acquiring the iMac G5. I'd go for the 20" but my little finger tells me to wait and my imagination goes wild about the future.

What do you think? Is an iMac G5 30" possible?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 09:26 PM

i say it'll go 23" first.
iamwhor3hay

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
i say it'll go 23" first.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2004, 09:41 PM

None, it is not the right market.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2004, 09:45 PM

Zero. Big fat goose egg. Nada.

Next topic!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 09:54 PM

I forgot to say,

"i say it'll go 23" first, if at all"

the thing looks like it will tip over already, but 23inches and keeping it sturdy would be awesome.
iamwhor3hay

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2004, 10:28 PM

I doubt it too.

Consider the potion of the price tag of 20-incher goes to LCD part. 20-inch Apple Cinema Display costs $1299, so the LCD costs almost 1/2 of the cost of iMac 20-inch.

Just consider if Apple comes out the iMac 23", 2/3 of the cost goes to the LCD part.

Again, we will be in the dilemma that if the mother board goes, LCD goes too.

iMac 23" is only distinctly possible when the LCD price is significantly lowered.

My 2 cents.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2004, 11:22 PM

zero

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 11:52 PM

The main problem isn't so much the cost of the display as the video card. You'd need considerably more than a GeForce FX 5200 to drive a 30" display, and right now a lot of the faster cards generate too much heat.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by Commodus:
The main problem isn't so much the cost of the display as the video card. You'd need considerably more than a GeForce FX 5200 to drive a 30" display, and right now a lot of the faster cards generate too much heat.

bingo. besides, as a consumer, would u want to buy a 30inch cinema display stuck onto a computer with a useability life shorter than the display? when the imac becomes outdated .. you will have wasted a VERY VERY EXPENSIVE and Beautiful display ...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

angaq0k  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
bingo. besides, as a consumer, would u want to buy a 30inch cinema display stuck onto a computer with a useability life shorter than the display? when the imac becomes outdated .. you will have wasted a VERY VERY EXPENSIVE and Beautiful display ...
I bow to a lot of great opinions here and it all make sense to me as well.

But I am also thinking about home theater equipment. A 30" screen is getting quite interesting for people wanting Home cinema but don't want to buy that huge system and huge plasma display. The iMac G5 has a digital output for 5.1 format...

Wouldn't there be a niche for something far superior than the infamous MacTV?

I checked for those still rare "home theater in a box" that are more popular packages in Europe than in North America. But people living in a small appartment like me would appreciate that sort of package that is not very powerful but in the end, very versatile...

Maybe 30" is too much to ask, but is 23" inch a worthy upgrade in that perspective?

I already have a 1GHz PB 12" with a 20" screen. What I don't have yet is the kit to make it "Home Theater". I felt like the iMac G5 was getting me closer to that...
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules