Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Virtual memory issue..

Virtual memory issue..
Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2005, 09:40 PM

My 12" 1ghz G4 powerbook has been getting awful slow after a short period of use. Lots of beach balling, especially with Safari.
Running 10.4.2 with 768mb of ram, 40gig hd with over 3gig free (enough?).
I don't often shut the Mac down, instead putting it to sleep at night. It was only restarted yesterday tho, and look at this..

Safari is taking up a lot load of ram. And even more ridiculous amounts of virtual memory (i've seen it take even more than this before tho). I've had this happen a lot since upgrading to 10.4 from 10.3 But curiously enough, it doesn't seem to happen on my G5 iMac at all (10.4.2 1gig ram).
Usually restarting safari seemed to ease the situation, But i noticed the system was still being slower than it should.. So only today I noticed (also shown in the screen shot) this 'Kernal task' thing.. And this is taking up even more virtual memory. I have no idea what it is, But I notice my G5 iMac doesn't show 'Kernal task' in the activity monitor at all. In fact, the activity monitor on the powerbook shows many things are taking up more virtual memory than I think they should (Im not running any meaty apps either, its just an internet machine mostly, so runs safari, mail, ichat etc).
Its quite bad in that I have to restart the powerbook every few days to fix it. Where as on 10.3 it would run for well over a month with ease, without needing a restart.
For the record tho, the powerbook has been 100% stable. Not crashed once since I bought it nearly 2 years ago.
Still, this virtual memory issue is annoying..
Clues/suggestions anyone?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 09:58 PM

1) Supposedly, there are a freaking huge number of memory-leak fixes coming for 10.4.3.

2) Safari has always used too much RAM... most of the memory leaks are WebKit/Java related, and therefore they will apply to Safari.

3) That Virtual Memory figure isn't what you think it is. As far as I'm aware ( I haven't looked into it in a while ), this includes all shared libraries. My suspicion is that this means it includes all of the binary code that is still on the hard drive--not necessarily the stuff in your swap files.

4) All machines have a kernel_task. If you don't see it, then it's being filtered out by your Activity Monitor settings. Your machine won't run without the kernel.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 07:10 AM

Many thanks Detrius. I did suspect it was an OS issue, and probably wasn't something I could do much about. Still, I was curious why it didn't seem to happen on my G5 iMac. However, that doesn't get used as much as this PowerBook.
Something I did wonder though.. The total amount of virtual memory use is often listed as more than the amount of free hd space I have. How can that be possible? And could it be part of the issue? Still, even when the pb had more space available, Safari still took all the virtual memory it could get pretty quickly, and slowed things down, and beach balled a lot.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2005, 07:25 AM

Empty and deactivate the cache in Safari. Empty and deactivate the favicons in Safari. Edit down Autofill entries, edit down and deactivate Autofill > Others. Purge your unread RSS feeds.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 07:42 AM

Hey, keep an eye on the hard drive as well. My exact same pb start getting really really slow because the hard drive was going. It slowed down before smart reporter picked it up as well.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Grrr
Something I did wonder though.. The total amount of virtual memory use is often listed as more than the amount of free hd space I have. How can that be possible? ...
VM is using disk space. It has nothing to do with the amount of free disk space. But if the OS needs more VM and you don't have enough free disk space available, you will have problems.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69
VM is using disk space. It has nothing to do with the amount of free disk space. But if the OS needs more VM and you don't have enough free disk space available, you will have problems.
The report of VM size in Activity monitor is not the size of your swap files. Mine lists 13GB, but I only have 128MB of swap files. The stuff listing virtual memory in the Activity Monitor is virtually irrelevant. Pageouts are what you need to watch. Every page out is 4kB being written to a swap file. Do the math and you'll see how much disk activity is going on due to VM.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 27, 2006, 01:07 AM

I don't understand this VM stuff. I had several applications running including Photoshop. Long after quitting I still had a lot of page outs, even though I had NO programs running, and the system was so slow it was virtually unusable. So, I rebooted and that fixed it. Is it normal to have to reboot your computer daily to re-set the swap?

Before:
Removed oversize image -- OreCookie

After:
Removed oversize image -- OreCookie
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Mar 27, 2006 at 03:22 AM. )

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 11:01 AM

PS is NOT very good at releasing it's memory allocation, both real & Virtual. Having lots of pageouts (200K + IS alot) means that you need more real ram, plain & simple.......
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules