Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 8gb iPod Nano

8gb iPod Nano
Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006, 11:15 PM

I hope this hasn't been posted before, I did search..

Anyway, I found this guide for making your own 8gb iPod Nano. For those familiar with surface mount soldering, it really doesn't look like it is that hard.
www.multiarcade.com

Also, it would suggest that Apple could build these themselves tomorrow if they wanted, as evidently the space is there on the circuit board for the extra chip already.
Seems like a likely upgrade for the near future..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 11:31 PM

Very cool. Thanks for the link.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006, 12:31 PM

What if Apple actually decided not to make an 8GB because of possible heat issues or something like that. I'm not an engineer so I don't know what I'm talking about but, there's gotta be a logical reason why Apple didn't do this themselves...

Or maybe it's because in a few months they'll roll out the 8GB Nano and everyone will have to go out and buy that. Hehe. Sneaky Apple.... hehehe.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
What if Apple actually decided not to make an 8GB because of possible heat issues or something like that. I'm not an engineer so I don't know what I'm talking about but, there's gotta be a logical reason why Apple didn't do this themselves...
I doubt that it's a heat issue. These are flash RAM chips, so they should only produce heat when they're being accessed or written to. It's unlikely that a nano would need to access both chips at once when playing back an audio file. I'm no EE, so take this as conjecture.

My guess is that it has more to do with the unavailability of cheap flash RAM chips. Apple probably makes more profit by selling two 4GB nanos than one 8GB nano. Once flash RAM prices fall and availability improves, we'll start seeing 8GB and 16GB ones.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006, 01:09 PM

I wanna see a 64GB Nano! How cool would that be? It should have video too!

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz

Or maybe it's because in a few months they'll roll out the 8GB Nano and everyone will have to go out and buy that. Hehe. Sneaky Apple.... hehehe.
zactly
marketing marketing marketing
If this guy can upgrade his nano in his babsment who would we belive apple cannot do twice as well in their lab?

what does it benifit apple to come out with their biggest and baddest nano?

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006, 02:56 PM

I think Apple often, if not always, leaves room for improvement when they bring out a new product. It keeps people interested in it. And ensures the company has plenty of stuff in the pipeline for future sales. Revised versions of products are all figured out long before the original has ever gone on sale.
As AppleJockey said, Its all marketing.
Im certain there is no technical reason why Apple could not be making 8gb Nano's right now. However, flash ram is still pricey stuff, so an 8gb Nano might have been seen by many as too expensive. And as I said, Apple like to leave room for improvement. Still, its the next logical step for the Nano..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules