Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Internet Dead Slow

Internet Dead Slow
mkerr64
Senior User
May 12, 2009, 09:25 PM

Hi There

Over the last week, I have noticed that my internet is very slow on this Mac (Mac Pro).
I have 16mb/s service and all other Macs and PC everything surfs smoothly.
On this Mac, its seems at times its goes at normal pace (fast) however, others it takes nearly a minute to load a page.

I have not updated to the new software update (10.5.7) and I am currently running 10.5.6

Anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Cold Warrior
May 12, 2009, 09:31 PM

opendns.com

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2009, 09:48 PM

This is probably a dumb question

Under my "Network" i have the following tabs

- Ethernet 1 -- (green)
- FireWire ----- (red)
- Ethernet 2 --- (red)
- Ethernet Adaptor (en3) ---- (yellow)
- Ethernet adaptor ( en2)---- (yellow)

I dont have the "Built-in Ethernet" that the site asks for???

I am suppose to have so many ethernet connections? I'm only using the one plug in the back under (1)

and why is Ethernet adaptor (en3 and 2) yellow?
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Cold Warrior
May 12, 2009, 09:58 PM

How many ethernet cards do you have in your Mac? If you add ethernet interfaces, they will be named 1, 2, etc. Perhaps you clicked the + button in the past to add interfaces? The one that is green should have a valid IP address.

I'm moving this to networking.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2009, 10:02 PM

For networking I'm a complete beginner

I haven't added any ethernet cards. In terms of add ons I only have the nvidia 8800, and extra hard drives thats all.

should i simply delete the en3 and en2?

through opendns.com what should I try to accomplish?

-- if its stats, i downloaded the updater, added the ip and "All of your networks have stats disabled. You can enable some or all of them in the network’s Advanced Settings"
( Last edited by mkerr64; May 12, 2009 at 11:17 PM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

OreoCookie
May 13, 2009, 04:58 AM

A faulty cable, plug or router can be the culprit as well. I'd try another cable, different ports and -- if possible -- a machine whose works as expected.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2009, 01:14 PM

You can ignore the stats and get rid of the updater.

In System Preferences > Network, go to Ethernet 1 (green).
Click Advanced, go to the DNS tab.
Click the + button and type in 208.67.222.222, press enter, click the + button and type in 208.67.220.220.

Done.
Test.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2009, 01:22 PM

Using OpenDNS does not magically cure all internet speed problems, people... If you want to prescribe this as a remedy you should at least teach him what this does and how it works so that he's not just blindly entering stuff into his network config.

There are many things to consider, mkerr:

- Are you connecting wirelessly? If so, what is your signal strength? Are you close to any other wireless hot spots?
- Have you tried connecting from other networks? Different results?
- Are there any sites that are not slow?
- Have you tried running a connection speed test?
- Are you getting a lot of spinning beachballs, or is your computer and browser itself responsive while you try to load pages?

There are a number of things that could be contributing to this problem. To simply prescribe OpenDNS as a solution and then closing the book on this is silly, IMHO.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
You can ignore the stats and get rid of the updater.

In System Preferences > Network, go to Ethernet 1 (green).
Click Advanced, go to the DNS tab.
Click the + button and type in 208.67.222.222, press enter, click the + button and type in 208.67.220.220.

Done.
Test.

I've already done that and the same error appears

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Using OpenDNS does not magically cure all internet speed problems, people... If you want to prescribe this as a remedy you should at least teach him what this does and how it works so that he's not just blindly entering stuff into his network config.

There are many things to consider, mkerr:

- Are you connecting wirelessly? If so, what is your signal strength? Are you close to any other wireless hot spots?
- Have you tried connecting from other networks? Different results?
- Are there any sites that are not slow?
- Have you tried running a connection speed test?
- Are you getting a lot of spinning beachballs, or is your computer and browser itself responsive while you try to load pages?

There are a number of things that could be contributing to this problem. To simply prescribe OpenDNS as a solution and then closing the book on this is silly, IMHO.

Thank you very much for helping me out here

My internet setup is as follows: Bell Sympatico line connects to my AirPort Extreme, to a different Mac. There is a 25ft wire connected from the router to my MacPro

1) I am connected through a cable
2) No, there is only that one connected at this household
3) it appears that all sites are the same on this computer. eg. at times going to google.com takes a few milliseconds while others it takes almost 30 seconds.
4) I've used two different speed tests one that my provider suggestion, which i dont remember the site off hand and the other was speedtest.net. They all reach their 16mb/s suprisingly
5) I'm not getting any beachballs, and safari is responsive. its just the actual loading of the pages that takes a long period of time.

When i get back to home, I will replace the 25ft with a new one and see if anything changes.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2009, 03:59 PM

It sounds like your problem is with signal strength. Even if there are no other networks around that are appearing in your Airport menu, there still may be signal interference going on. Appliances can cause this.

Just as test, I would suggest connecting your laptop directly to your router or modem via an Ethernet cable to see if this makes a difference. If the problem is with signal strength, you shouldn't have any problems connecting via Ethernet. If it isn't we can go from there...

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
May 14, 2009, 02:01 PM

I replaced the wire and its seems to be in the same condition, slugish
I also plugged my other mac (mbp) to the ethernet cable, disabled wireless and it ran fast as usual

there are no appliances next to the cable. only a air cleaning module, sub woofer and a ups

Currently Ethernet (en2) and (en3) are "connected"...
I still only have the one Ethernet cord connected to the back nothing else

they all have different ip addresses
and only Ethernet 1 has a router address

( Last edited by mkerr64; May 16, 2009 at 07:29 PM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules