Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OS X Lion- Mac Pro Graphics

OS X Lion- Mac Pro Graphics
mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 20, 2011, 07:13 PM

Hi there

I just upgraded to OS X Lion on my Mac Pro (early 2009 Nehalem) and I heard this rumour that this OS can handle all Nvidia graphic cards. Is this true? I currently have the GT120 which is rather slow on a 30" display and I want to upgrade to something powerful

Thanks
R.I.P Steve Jobs

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 01:53 AM

What I've read is that the ATI 6870 works fine under Lion, both for an upgrade from 10.6.8 and a clean install of Lion. Which means is also works with the Lion installer.

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2011, 03:37 AM

Are you sure that's an issue with the speed of the graphics card? Even the puniest graphics cards can drive a 30" 4 megapixel display.

What makes you say that `graphics is slow'? Are you sure you have enough RAM (i. e. how many page-outs do you have)?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Jul 21, 2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Are you sure that's an issue with the speed of the graphics card? Even the puniest graphics cards can drive a 30" 4 megapixel display.

What makes you say that `graphics is slow'? Are you sure you have enough RAM (i. e. how many page-outs do you have)?
I have 8gb or ram, right now my page outs will be low because just upgraded to lion os x
even when running a 1080p movie it seems to be jittery and especially slow when playing various games.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2011, 10:03 AM

It is not surprising that games may be slow: if you play them at high resolution, it really taxes your graphics card. I'm surprised that HD playback is slow, it shouldn't be.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Jul 21, 2011, 10:45 AM

It is not surprising that games may be slow: if you play them at high resolution, it really taxes your graphics card. I'm surprised that HD playback is slow, it shouldn't be.
seems to be the case, thus i would like to upgrade to something more powerful and i do not want to spend $500 card from apple which is about half the price on of the graphics card on PC (ATI Radeon HD 5870).
I just would like to know which cards are compatible with the new Lion OS X
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 11:45 AM

You should checkout Netkas' site. I think its netkas.org.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
seems to be the case, thus i would like to upgrade to something more powerful and i do not want to spend $500 card from apple which is about half the price on of the graphics card on PC (ATI Radeon HD 5870).
I just would like to know which cards are compatible with the new Lion OS X
I'm still surprised that a Mac Pro supposedly isn't powerful enough to play back HD content. I'm still not convinced a faster graphics card will help: to my knowledge, only Core Solos (1/2 of Core Duos sold only in the slowest configurations of the Mac mini) were not fast enough to play back HD video properly.

Another thing: if you're using Flash to play back HD content, your CPU requirements may skyrocket. That's also because apparently hardware acceleration no longer works in Lion and a faster GPU will do no good at all. (Don't ask me `Hasn't Adobe had enough time to test Flash on Lion?' )

Seeing as how you have 8 GB RAM, I'd check the cpu utilization during playback next.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 03:01 PM

1080p in Flash? Yuck that must be spanking your CPU.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Jul 21, 2011, 10:52 PM

I'm still surprised that a Mac Pro supposedly isn't powerful enough to play back HD content. I'm still not convinced a faster graphics card will help: to my knowledge, only Core Solos (1/2 of Core Duos sold only in the slowest configurations of the Mac mini) were not fast enough to play back HD video properly.

Another thing: if you're using Flash to play back HD content, your CPU requirements may skyrocket. That's also because apparently hardware acceleration no longer works in Lion and a faster GPU will do no good at all. (Don't ask me `Hasn't Adobe had enough time to test Flash on Lion?' )

Seeing as how you have 8 GB RAM, I'd check the cpu utilization during playback next.

it using VLC, and playing 1080P.
i know that upgrading the graphics card will improve gaming specs anyways.
i guess knowledge about the graphics cards on lion are not truly known yet
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2011, 04:47 AM

But did you check if it was thrashing the CPU or not?

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
But did you check if it was thrashing the CPU or not?
its nowhere close to maxing out. i have 8 cores
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 12:14 PM

Recommending Mplayer OS X extended. It has multicore support for decoding playback whereas VLC does not.

Make sure you use the "Official Mplayer SVN with FFMPEG-MT" decoder which is the multithreaded decoder.

One reason you may be experiencing this is remember that Lion catalogs all of your drives upon installation so you could be in for several hours of slow performance.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2011, 02:29 PM

Whats the data rate on the file? How big is it and how long?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2011, 02:23 PM

FYI, ATi's OS X drivers are better than nVidia's.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Jul 24, 2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson View Post
Recommending Mplayer OS X extended. It has multicore support for decoding playback whereas VLC does not.

Make sure you use the "Official Mplayer SVN with FFMPEG-MT" decoder which is the multithreaded decoder.

One reason you may be experiencing this is remember that Lion catalogs all of your drives upon installation so you could be in for several hours of slow performance.
awesome, thanks allot !

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Whats the data rate on the file? How big is it and how long?
the files are 8+ gb

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
FYI, ATi's OS X drivers are better than nVidia's.
so does that mean i can use any ATI graphics for OS X? or simply the flashed one for mac?
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2011, 10:33 PM

8GB isn't huge unless you are talking 5-10 minute clips. If those are feature length they should be no trouble for a Mac Pro.
It couldn't be your disk could it?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2011, 11:04 PM

so does that mean i can use any ATI graphics for OS X? or simply the flashed one for mac?
It means you'll get higher fps with ATi. THe difference used to be huge, but it is narrowing.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Jul 24, 2011, 11:17 PM

so, does this mean i can get a NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 560, and it will work? or will there be drive issues ?

i have plenty of space on my mac pro.

thanks for helping me out
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2011, 06:39 AM

No one got a chance to answer my question in the other locked thread.

Any thoughts on how Apple would implement Thunderbolt on a Mac Pro?

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2011, 08:59 PM

I bought Apple's ATI 5770 upgrade for something like $225 (with EDU discount). Pretty affordable and its a nice solid card. Of course, I do very little gaming, and there really aren't any OpenCL apps yet, so I've seen very little from my upgrade, aside from running games in Bootcamp.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2011, 01:07 AM

And unlike previous ATI cards, it looks great on the outside. No more silly pc-ish livery.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Aug 3, 2011, 12:11 AM

I talked with people from the genius bar and from tigerdirect. they both told me the issue is hardware in the Mac Pro in terms of its capability with PC graphics. ATI specifically made their 5870 card with a unique design of some sort. no other cards will work.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2011, 03:08 PM

I talked with people from the genius bar and from tigerdirect. they both told me the issue is hardware in the Mac Pro in terms of its capability with PC graphics. ATI specifically made their 5870 card with a unique design of some sort. no other cards will work.
Windows uses BIOS, OS X uses EFI.

That said: Mac OS X may natively support "PC" Radeon graphics cards

If Apple is set to announce support for PC video cards, I would expect them to do it when they announce the new Mac Pros, whenever that is.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Windows uses BIOS, OS X uses EFI.

That said: Mac OS X may natively support "PC" Radeon graphics cards

If Apple is set to announce support for PC video cards, I would expect them to do it when they announce the new Mac Pros, whenever that is.
Awesome, Thanks for the link
I guess i will wait for the next MP to come out and see what my option are then.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2011, 12:17 PM

Awesome, Thanks for the link
I guess i will wait for the next MP to come out and see what my option are then.
Look at the last page in the The processor in the next Mac Pro thread: apparently people are already using PC GPUs in Mac Pros.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2011, 01:04 PM

Look at the last page in the The processor in the next Mac Pro thread: apparently people are already using PC GPUs in Mac Pros.
Not mine, but a friend's.

Mac Pro Mid 2010, Mac OS X Lion 10.7
GPU is PC-ish XFX Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2011, 01:09 PM

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2011, 10:09 AM

Stop the presses !! Further testing shows OS X DVD Player doesn't work with this card.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Stop the presses !! Further testing shows OS X DVD Player doesn't work with this card.
Who uses "presses" these days?

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Not mine, but a friend's.

Mac Pro Mid 2010, Mac OS X Lion 10.7
GPU is PC-ish XFX Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition.

Would it also work with a "early 2009" Mac Pro 2.66 Quad core?
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Who uses "presses" these days?
Lots of people.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2011, 08:30 AM

Would it also work with a "early 2009" Mac Pro 2.66 Quad core?
I haven't tried it myself so I have no way to say either if it would or if it wouldn't but please note my friend sold that PC GPU and got the ATI Radeon HD 5870 Mac Edition (from Apple Store) instead. I think the ATI 5770 is good enough (and much more affordable) for most purposes and I can assert that one even works on my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2011, 06:18 PM

This argument used to make less sense. The iMac was a low end Mac and the PowerMac was a high end Mac. But now the iMac is high end and the Mac Pro is what I would call super high end. Both in price and in power. But the mini is still low/medium end. So what to do when someone wants a high end Mac? Well yes, get an iMac. Especially with thunderbolt, they are a great machine. But they have one catch that is a deal breaker to about 50% of the people out there...

Yes, lets not just turn this into a mini-mac-pro discussion, lets also turn it into a glossy-screens-suck discussion.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
This argument used to make less sense. The iMac was a low end Mac and the PowerMac was a high end Mac. But now the iMac is high end and the Mac Pro is what I would call super high end. Both in price and in power. But the mini is still low/medium end. So what to do when someone wants a high end Mac? Well yes, get an iMac. Especially with thunderbolt, they are a great machine. But they have one catch that is a deal breaker to about 50% of the people out there...

Yes, lets not just turn this into a mini-mac-pro discussion, lets also turn it into a glossy-screens-suck discussion.
Somehow I suspect your 50% figure is a little over the top, perhaps you should start a poll?

One of the major drawbacks with Mac Pros in recent years is that they just don't get updated quick enough. Given the price of them, they should be second to nothing on the market in terms of raw power but a current Mac Mini quad core would probably outpace a low end Pro at the moment and it will do so for less than half the price while using 10% of the juice. Apple really ought to address this but somehow I suspect their answer would be to just dump the Mac Pro line altogether.

I'm wondering how Apple will implement Thunderbolt on any new Mac Pro. Presumably its going to have to run through the PCI-E based GPU. Is that going to work? Or will they simply put one or two PCI-E slots in there and provide a TB port or two in addition to the ones on the cards? Or will the ones on the cards just be MDP? Maybe a PCI-E GPU will be able to feed back through the board to a TB port? (This would make it impossible to use non-Mac cards I'd guess) However it works, I think the next Mac Pros are going to be quite different from the current ones. If they happen at all.

While I'm blathering on about graphics, it hadn't occurred to me that a TB display could actually have the GPU built-in now. Will Apple do this for the benefit of MacBook Air and Mac Mini owners on the next generation of Cinema Display? Will nVidia and AMD/ATI release their own displays? Should make things interesting. And keep you glossy haters happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules