Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Reasons to Go from 10.3.6 to 10.3.7?

Reasons to Go from 10.3.6 to 10.3.7?
bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2004, 08:43 PM

I updated my iMac the other day and had a few odd problems .. first time ever on an update .. but managed to work it all out .. except it seems to take longer for Mail to retrieve mail from the server ..

Now I'm wondering if I should update my iBook. I'm not worried about problems .. just is there any real benefit to update? Everything on the iBook is working great right now. If I get Tiger next year, is it better to be fully updated when you install?

Thanks ....
( Last edited by bergy; Dec 19, 2004 at 08:55 PM. )
Tiger 10.4.8

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2004, 08:55 PM

If it is not broke, don't fix it? There are a number of reasons to upgrade, but you may not need too.

I always backup my OS, and install the latest upgrade. If a problem arises, I can revert to what last worked.

Tiger won't care what OS version is on the rig. There may be 3rd party software you install in Panther, that will not work in Tiger. An Archive and Install will be recommended, but not an upgrade. Even then you may have some issues.

quadraphonic
Dec 19, 2004, 09:45 PM

When you say 'back-up' what exactly are you doing? I'm still getting a handle on Mac OS.
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by quadraphonic:
When you say 'back-up' what exactly are you doing? I'm still getting a handle on Mac OS.
I make a copy of my current hard drive on to another drive. A backup is another copy of existing data. Never try to be without one.

quadraphonic
Dec 19, 2004, 10:19 PM

Lucky.. I don't have a second drive to move to. Guess I'll do the old "wait & see".
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2004, 10:38 PM

Since you don't have a second drive, to you have a backup strategy?

You can easily reinstall 10.3 and retain existing user data, with and archive and install, then get the latest combo update installer.

I don't trust my data to being lucky. Should you?

Forum Links
Forum Rules