Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > AT&T prices 'study abroad' student international roaming package

AT&T prices 'study abroad' student international roaming package
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 1, 2013, 11:13 PM

With US-based students and teachers participating in overseas educational programs in mind, AT&T has introduced the AT&T Study Abroad program, an international roaming package tailored for the student's specific needs. Starting August 9, the program allows the user to keep existing phone numbers, and offers students and teachers the convenience of having an existing AT&T device, mobile number and content during a stay in 150 countries.

Eligible customers can choose from two package options. The $60 per month package includes 250 voice minutes, 250 outgoing messages and 250MB of cellular data. The $90 per month package includes 400 voice minutes, 400 outgoing messages, 400MB of cellular data and 1GB of Wi-Fi on eligible devices. The charges do not supplant domestic packages. Domestic calling, data and unlimited messaging in the US are required and must remain active for the duration of the offer.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 2, 2013 at 02:17 AM. )

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Aug 2, 2013, 12:37 AM

OK, so compare the AT&T deal to the local deal I found in Paris, France with a MVNO of the French operator SFR: I had unlimited texts, unlimited voice calls (including to North America), and 3 GB of data -- for $26/month!

Not so attractive, is it?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2013, 12:49 AM

What a GB of wifi? What does wifi have to do with AT&T in other countries? Is that an allotment for someone sort of wifi roaming deal with a paid wifi service overseas?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

AlohaMacintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2013, 12:58 AM

Dear ATT: You people are thieves. thank you

nowwhatareyoulookingat
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2013, 03:24 AM

Le Flaneur, don't forget, the prices listed here ($60 & $90/month) are only HALF the cost, namely the roaming half. You also need to have a US plan for about the same amount, even though YOU WON'T BE IN THE COUNTRY FOR MONTHS OR YEARS AT A TIME.

efithian
Aug 2, 2013, 08:14 AM

And exactly how is this better than using an unlocked phone with a sim from the country you are visiting? I took my unlocked iPhone 4 to Italy last month and for €15/month had unlimited data, and pay by call. My iPad was €25/month for 4GB data. All with TIM. My next iPhone will be purchased unlocked, no need to wait two years to use it abroad. And no ATT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules