Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 176)
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2010, 02:09 PM

Well, the web radio option works just fine within the web browser.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Well, the web radio option works just fine within the web browser.
I figured as much, but there was a reason you didn't want to go with that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 04:54 PM

An Open Letter From A Former Bungie VP to Bobby Kotick
Mr. Kotick:
You were quoted saying that Bungie is the last remaining high quality independent developer. As a former executive vice president of Bungie, I need to tell you: If this is true, you're screwed.
Activision and every other big publisher have grown by acquiring independent developers. The industry needs a constant supply of new independent developers to buy because they're the ones creating innovative games that become franchises.
Gears of War. Portal. Borderlands. None of these games re-hashes the same old formulas. They innovate. And, they're made by independent developers, of course.
So, we challenge you.
You've called Activision the industry's online leader. If you think the newest Call of Duty online experience is that innovative, let players buy just the online part of Call of Duty Black Ops and charge them a fair price.
In fact, we'll make you a deal. Let consumers buy just the online part of Call of Duty, and we'll give you a starring role in our new online game, Breach. Trust me, starring in your own videogame would give you huge street cred. We've even mocked up a screenshot to show you how cool you'd look in Breach.
As an independent developer, Atomic can't spend its way to big sales, like Activision can. We have to innovate. So, if you're confident Activision can innovate without independent developers, this is your opportunity to prove it.
Sincerely,
Peter Tamte
President
Atomic Games
I'm gonna be honest. I don't quite get it.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm more curious to see what next week's results look like. I don't think Reach was counted for all 7 days. Hard to believe that Modded Warfare 2 will remain #1.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2010, 05:16 AM

Bungie calls "bullshit" on Major Nelson's numbers

While we’re not privy to the methodologies and data used to compile the Xbox LIVE Activity reports published to Major Nelson’s blog this morning, we do know that last week’s numbers were well off the mark due to what’s now being called a “manual reporting error.”
To help put launch week into a little more perspective, we’ve prepared a handful of stats to compare and contrast Halo: Reach against our stalwart online juggernaut, Halo 3.

* On Tuesday, 09/14/2010 at approximately 1:30 pm PST, just a few hours after launch, Halo: Reach’s online unique user count had already completely eclipsed Halo 3’s total tally for the entirety of the week (09/13 through 09/20).
* To account for the same number of online players found in Halo: Reach during that same window (just six days), we had to run the numbers for Halo 3 going all the way back to 8/6/2010, encompassing a full 45 days of Halo 3 play!
* Ultimately, Halo: Reach’s online population for the first week dwarfed Halo 3’s by comparison, snagging four times the number of total unique users and decimating Halo 3’s all time high of concurrent users by more than 65%.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 10:04 AM

Yeah, there's definitely something wrong with those numbers. How can Halo 3 be higher than Halo:Reach? Everyone and their uncle was playing Halo:Reach last week and this week. I have to agree with Bungie, the order (or odor) of that list smells fishy. Let's see the numbers to back it up.

About Bungie being an independent game developer, I guess they are, but by now they are a pretty established game developer. At what point do you call an indie game developer, a game developer. Actually, that's almost an insult coming from Activision. It seems like Activision is saying Bungie is still a small-fry.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 10:10 AM

Actually, it sounds like the list has since been corrected. But , I'm behind my work's proxy server so I can't get at the lists. Can someone post the new updated list?
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I'm more curious to see what next week's results look like.
I don't see how Reach isn't #1. Of course, I thought the same thing for this week, but that's wrong, assuming the numbers do represent the time frame implied.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Modded Warfare 2
Strong words from someone who barely touched the multi.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I suspect something retarded is going on. It could be this:

Major Nelson's grasp on english is poor. The week of September 13 is actually the week ending September 13. (Of course that means there were enough copies of Halo: Reach out before release day to put it at #3, which is also retarded).

Otherwise, what reason does MS have for underinflating the numbers of its Flagship title?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Actually, it sounds like the list has since been corrected. But , I'm behind my work's proxy server so I can't get at the lists. Can someone post the new updated list?
Just re-checked his blog on your advice.

LIVE Activity for week of Sept 13 **UPDATED** - Xbox Live's Major Nelson
Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)

1 Modern Warfare 2
2 Halo: Reach
3 Halo 3
4 Call of Duty: WaW
5 FIFA Soccer 11 Dem
This is very different. WTF? How did they **** up the list this bad?

Also, am I reading that right? MW2 is still on top?

I realize MS doesn't gain anything from posting the lists, but since they cowardly hide the UU #s, they don't have anything to lose either. Nelson is frustratingly inconsistent about posting these (and given this scandal, undeterminably incompetent), and I don't understand why they can't have an intern just post these and be done with it.

Lastly, some off-the-cuff analysis: Reach's rise comes at the cost of Call of Duty 4's rank. Are the original Modern Warfare players moving over to Reach?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 11:10 AM

That looks better. Interesting that COD:MW2 is still up there. Maybe it'll change next week? I can see alot of COD:MW2 players, not playing Halo:Reach, though, so they could be staying in COD:MW2 until COD:BO comes out.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
That looks better. Interesting that COD:MW2 is still up there. Maybe it'll change next week? I can see alot of COD:MW2 players, not playing Halo:Reach, though, so they could be staying in COD:MW2 until COD:BO comes out.
Very likely. It should also be noted that, compared to a few years ago, these games have to sell many more copies to compete with the top slots. Whereas Halo 3 and CoD4 probably had 3 million tops at the end of '07, Halo 3 & MW2 have closer to 8 million copies in circulation now. Much harder for a blockbuster to catch-up in that first week.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Sep 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: EIGHT is enough)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 11:32 AM

PS3 firmware kills third-party adaptors, 3D requires lossy audio
Sony has a problem with unauthorized, third-party controllers. You see, they could explode. They are very dangerous things. The latest update for the PlayStation 3 adds support for 3D Blu-ray playback, but it also removes support for these contraband devices. There is a slight problem with this, however, as gamers are upset that many devices no longer work with their hardware.

The affected hardware? Adaptors allowing PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 controllers to work on the hardware, as well as some devices that connect via USB. There are two possibilities here: Sony no longer wants these devices to work properly, or this is a bug that will be fixed with (sigh) future updates.
Jesus, it never ends with Sony.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 12:47 PM

So, how's everyone liking their Playstation Move?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2010, 12:55 PM

I'll let you know once I'm done playing with the Wii balance board and pre-ordering Kinect.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 02:23 PM

I just don't see the point in Move. I already have a Wii, and the launch titles suck.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over this conversation I'm having with Milo.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Good thanks, I've played most of the stuff on the demo disc now, the UK disc gets demos of: Sports Champions, Start the Party, The Shoot, EyePet Move, TV Superstars, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, Echochrome 2, Tumble and Beat Sketchers. The accuracy is pretty good, the movement and tilt when your holding the table tennis bat or discus (there's a discus golf game in Sports Champions) is spot on, and a few of the games where you see yourself in the camera, it renders something on the end of the controller, like a shower head, big foam hand or bug swatter, and they stick to the end of the controller on screen whatever you do. Accuracy based stuff like Tumble (tower building Jenga/Boom Blox type thing) is all really nice. One thing I was expecting, but doesn't happen, is using the Move as a cursor in the web browser, instead it hops between the centres of each picture or text block on the screen as you move the, er, Move, around. Hopefully they'll update the web browser in a system update to fix this. Haven't bought any full games except Flight Control, before I bought it I thought Pain and Flower were updated for the Move, but I either got my facts wrong or the games havent been updated yet.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Good thanks, I've played most of the stuff on the demo disc now, the UK disc gets demos of: Sports Champions, Start the Party, The Shoot, EyePet Move, TV Superstars, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, Echochrome 2, Tumble and Beat Sketchers. The accuracy is pretty good, the movement and tilt when your holding the table tennis bat or discus (there's a discus golf game in Sports Champions) is spot on, and a few of the games where you see yourself in the camera, it renders something on the end of the controller, like a shower head, big foam hand or bug swatter, and they stick to the end of the controller on screen whatever you do. Accuracy based stuff like Tumble (tower building Jenga/Boom Blox type thing) is all really nice. One thing I was expecting, but doesn't happen, is using the Move as a cursor in the web browser, instead it hops between the centres of each picture or text block on the screen as you move the, er, Move, around. Hopefully they'll update the web browser in a system update to fix this. Haven't bought any full games except Flight Control, before I bought it I thought Pain and Flower were updated for the Move, but I either got my facts wrong or the games havent been updated yet.
*pin drop*

---

Late News

Rumor: 3DS Japanese launch dated Nov. 11 by German tabloid | Joystiq

Nintendo offers impractical solution to Metroid: Other M bug in Japan | Joystiq
With a regular software update framework in place, Nintendo would have no problem patching out a recently discovered, game-breaking bug in Metroid: Other M. Unfortunately, such a system doesn't really exist, leaving the company to adopt a more ... unique approach to solving the problem. Nintendo is asking people living in Japan who have experienced the bug to send the SD card or Wii console with their game save on it to its Kyoto-based service center.
Good lord.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2010, 05:42 PM

I, for one, take comfort in knowing that each Nintendo game is handcrafted by expert Japanese technicians.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 09:56 AM

Activision and EA trade barbs over corporate cultures | Joystiq
Kotick was first, boasting in the latest issue of Edge (via Next-Gen.biz) that his company allows its studios to maintain their independent cultures; citing Treyarch, the embattled Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games as examples. Kotick suggested that EA doesn't offer this luxury, and that's why Activision has successfully hired developers from its competitor's ranks. "We have no shortage of opportunity to recruit out of EA," he said. "That's their biggest challenge: Its stock options have no value. It's lost its way."

Of course, Brown, EA's corp comm VP, was quick to respond: "[Kotick's] company is based on three game franchises -- one is a fantastic persistent world he had nothing to do with; one is in steep decline; and the third is in the process of being destroyed by Kotick's own hubris." Though Brown didn't clarify which franchises he was referring to, we'll throw out three names for you -- and you can play the matching game! Here goes: Guitar Hero, Call of Duty and World of Warcraft.
Good to see video games executives taking a cue from the WWE on how to manage media.

NBA Elite 11 delayed, NBA Jam coming as standalone product for 360 and PS3 | Joystiq
EA Sports just announced that its upcoming basketball title, NBA Elite 11, has been delayed beyond its release next month to an undisclosed launch window.
The delay announcement also revealed that "we're going to ship NBA Jam as a standalone product on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in time for the holidays.
Hahahahahaha

ah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 10:45 AM

FIFA 11 is released today. Basically, this means my home life will be dominated for the next few months by my mission to create a League 2 team and bring them up to the top of the Premiership.

Farewell.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 10:48 AM

I'd give you shit about Halo but you managed to sneak 8 hours in whilst I barely saw you online.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 10:53 AM

I'd give you shit about Halo but you managed to sneak 8 hours in whilst I barely saw you online.
I haven't played Halo in several days. Been crazy busy.

I'll still be getting on, but I'll definitely fall far behind you guys.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 10:55 AM

Just know if you get an invite for me, it's because we're about to play my massive map.

Speaking of which, once the Halo thread hits a new page I'm posting my preview pics.

LoneStar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2010, 11:12 AM

I've always been a Nintendo fan, and there are a bunch of great games on the Wii and even more coming out.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 11:52 AM

Just know if you get an invite for me, it's because we're about to play my massive map.

Speaking of which, once the Halo thread hits a new page I'm posting my preview pics.
The prospect of playing you guys' (your guys? you guyses? that always messes me up...) maps is the main thing that could draw me 100% into the game. I love seeing sek's updates, and can't wait to give 'em a go.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 12:01 PM

Trust me, my updates are ramshackle fishing huts compared to what Dakar has done.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 12:02 PM

Mud huts.

Edit: Bender "That new robot is great, huh? It sure made me look like a pile of crap."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Trust me, my updates are ramshackle fishing huts compared to what Dakar has done.
Post those pics, Dakar!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Post those pics, Dakar!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 12:43 PM

Quick! Post a bunch of one-liners everyone!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2010, 01:02 PM

Yeah, you bitches need to comment on my videos so the thread can hit a new page.

Back on topic.

As much as I hate EA, Brown's response was spot on.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 01:04 PM

With exception of a few moves lately (that I can't remember) EA is way less evil than Activision. It's just obvious they'd rather be evil and rich than good and as successful as they are now.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2010, 01:11 PM

Who cares about NBA Elite 11 when NBA 2K11 is just around the corner?

He's Back...

(Yes, my brother at 2K Games created this game trailer.)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 01:16 PM

That wasn't about Elite. Since when do seasonal sports games get delayed? And of course, the Wii lost its precious exclusivity. I'm guessing EA miscalculated who was going to be interest in JAM.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2010, 02:02 PM

I know. I just wanted to post my brother's game trailer. I can't wait to see the sales numbers for all three platforms on NBA Jam. I'll laugh my ass off if the Wii doesn't come in first place.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 03:13 PM

Went by Best Buy to pick up FIFA 11 today, and noticed a continuation of a disturbing trend...

FIFA for 360 features custom soundtracks and full 1080p. FIFA for PS3 does not feature custom soundtracks and caps out at 720p.

Seeing that I upgraded to a 1080p television about a year and a half ago, I decided to forgo my usual PS3 purchase and go with the 360 version. Seriously, what's the deal with games not running 1080p on the PS3? Isn't that one of their bullet points?

It only does 1080p...
It only does everything...
etc.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 03:22 PM

What the hell? I thought the 360 was the underpowered one? Continuation of the PS3 ease of programming cap?

Edit: $5 you'd never see the difference anyway.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 04:02 PM

Wrong. I downloaded both demos and wondered why the 360 version looked so much better. That's the reason I checked the box.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 04:06 PM

That doesn't necessarily mean its the p. That could be a poor port.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 04:18 PM

That doesn't necessarily mean its the p. That could be a poor port.
I've tried all four. Not the port.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 04:21 PM

So if you set output on both devices to 720p they look the same?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 04:36 PM

Crispness is the same when switched to 720p, but the color on the 360 is always a little more vivid. I've noticed, even with MW2, that the colors on the PS3 are slightly more grayed or washed out.

A lot of side-by-side comparisons of some games reveals the same. Red Dead Redemption is another good example.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 04:37 PM

The certainly was the case with ghostbusters. I wonder what it means.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 04:38 PM

RDR: screen comparison

Check out the second pair down. Every shot from the 360 version is just sharper and colors punch just a tad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 04:43 PM

So what you're saying is all the subtle differences get magnified at 1080p? I'm sure I've asked this before, but how big is your TV?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 04:49 PM

47"

After downloading and playing the PS3 version for a few days, I downloaded it for 360, and instantly noticed a change, even on the loading screen. I thought it was weird, so clicked the guide button and saw that it was running in 1080p.

I turned the PS3 version on and switched between the two while running games simultaneously. The difference was enough to see without doing any real comparison tests, but I still played back and forth for a while to make sure it was as significant as it felt.

I checked the boxes of both games today at Best Buy, and noticed there wasn't going to be a 1080p option for the PS3, as I suspected.

As much as I'd like to think I'm not, I'm a bit of a graphics whore. I paid extra money for a 1080p television, and I want to get my money's worth.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 04:53 PM

I still think it's a porting or scaling issue more than a resolution one. Your effective viewing distance for 1080p on a 47" is laughably close.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 04:59 PM

I know that being ported from 360 to PS3 is definitely part of the issue. Some games (Uncharted 2) look ridiculously amazing.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2010, 09:32 PM

Eh, I have a 51" television, so I do appreciate when things are higher quality. What's a real PITA is having to wait until reviews come out to find out what console a game looks/runs better on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules