Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > So how many Safari bug reports have you submitted so far?

So how many Safari bug reports have you submitted so far?
trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2003, 04:01 PM

I've hit the button at least 5 times, 4 of them on the same website (which used to just give me trouble on Macs PERIOD but which works in IE... altho not in Chimera or Safari). I can't wait till they have all these things ironed out; Safari is already the best Mac browser IMHO, but it needs a whole lot of work and I'm happy to help with my nagging bug reports ;]
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Group51
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 04:04 PM

For compatibility issues, once. Barclay's online banking is ridiculously slow (https).

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2003, 04:21 PM

Twice-- one bad web page (srolling headlines are a big mess on the BBC news page) and 1 crash.log.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2003, 04:27 PM

about 5.

www.micromat.com doesn't work

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2003, 04:29 PM

Probably ten, here. I really went to town on css/edge, and I had some other issues with stylesheets (for example, screen-only stylesheets are applied while printing).

Plus, of course, the annoying button-killing bug.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Group51:
For compatibility issues, once. Barclay's online banking is ridiculously slow (https).
Hey, at least it works.

With CitiBank, you can log in, but you can't pay bills due to some javascript issue with the way they handle that part of the interface.

Mind you, logging in is more than any other Mac browser except IE has been able to do, so that's a start.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

milhous
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 05:28 PM

Unfortunately, I think there will be some websites that just won't display correctly unless you have IE. I have Verizon Wireless service and if you go to www.verizonwireless.com, you'll see that a yellow table on the left pushes all the content below it when it should just sit on top it. What is odd is that when this site is viewed correctly in IE, you don't see the yellow table at all. It's seems as if its displaying some hidden text. The non-IE browsers I've tried (chimera, netscape, safari) all result in the same thing.

I did however send the bug into Apple in hopes that they can work some magic.
F = ma

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 11, 2003, 05:33 PM

I've sent many bug reports that don't deal with specific web pages but rather Safari itself. A few have been because of websites (PowerPoint 9's export to HTML, for example, doesn't work).

All in all, I'd say about a dozen.

krove
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 08:01 PM

I find it a bit annoying how some of the page formatting (whether simple HTML markup or CSS rules) are applied as the page is output to the screen.

One example is the message these MacNN forums display after you submit a posting to a thread: the box telling you that the page will refresh back to the thread sits on the very left of the page until the formatting has been applied. Once, the page refreshed even before the formatting was applied (all I saw was the box on the left?it never got formatted to be center aligned). Interesting. But overall, pleased.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 08:24 PM

Probably about 10 times. It is getting better though. Hopefully by the time version 1.0 comes out, all these quirks will be corrected. I'm still having trouble with Hotmail.

But I do NOT resubmit it for the sites that I've already submitted. This just would swamp the Safari developers. Since they already have the original submission that the page didn't load correctly, I figure they don't need a dozen more reminders from me, each time I visit. Just my 2 cents.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 08:40 PM

as2
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 10:00 PM

I've probably hit it 3 or 4 times...

Once on the apple website!! None of the embeded movies were loading on some of their pages.

Once for versiontracker... if you have the window too small the table runs in with the adverts on the right hand side.

Still issues with logging onto some sites.

The argos.co.uk site doesn't work.

I'm still very impressed though!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 10:41 PM

I've submitted it a bunch. Bingo.com doesn't do anything when I try to log in.

krove
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 10:43 PM

Does anyone here have a Schwab account? Safari won't let my Grandpa access the mutual fund options. You have to OK through an EULA of some sort before you can get to the stuff, but the EULA form never sends him anywhere when he clicks OK.

I'd love to have him start using Safari (given its rather simple, clean nature).

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 10:47 PM

About 4 or 5. A couple of those were specific website incompatibilities, and the others were bugs or RFEs in the browser itself.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2003, 11:23 PM

I've submitted reports on:
The menus at attws.com
The menus at nokiausa.com
The on-mouse-over descriptions at verizonwireless.com
The lack of boarders around the right sidebar text at fightflobalaids.org

This has to be the best idea in opensource. Talkback from Moz/Net is good, but is only activated for things that crash the browser. Here Apple has given us an oppertunity to say what the browser thinks is working, but isn't.

Overall, I really haven't had a lot of problems. I've only found one website that it can't render as well as Moz (Nokia's). I'm sure there are others and I don't mean to say Safari can do everythin Moz can or something like that that people will take offense to.

barbarian
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 11:27 PM

1. www.hotmail.com won't let me log in.

On my machine it reports that we need javascript enabled (when obviously safari uses javascript). (oddly enough the page will load if I click through to Safari through MSN Messenger 3.0)

2. www.terminator3.com - flash is very slow compared to other browsers

3. American Express and very slow (https).

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2003, 11:28 PM

I've submitted several; however, the most noticable was my universities web-site (http://www.ksu.edu) doesn't come up all the way....

Oh well, it has great promise!

Forum Links
Forum Rules