Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > IP over Firewire?

IP over Firewire?
trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2003, 08:27 PM

Apparently it's supported in 10.2.5 server. Anyone know how to use it? KBase has no information whatsoever.
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2003, 08:34 PM

Yeah, what ever happened to this?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2003, 08:46 PM

It's not in 10.2.5 Client; that much I know.

About a couple of months ago, IP/FireWire started destabilizing my system really badly. This is probably why Apple pulled it from public download, though it remains available if you're in ADC (even ADC Online). Removing it not only brought my system back to its former stability, it also sped up my boot time by an order of magnitude (with it in place, it would hang on "Waiting for network initialization" longer than the entire rest of the system would take to boot).

My guess is, we'll see it again in Panther.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2003, 10:30 PM

I installed the beta several months ago, have not had any instabilities, and it works just great for me. But it was a beta. The UI was not quite ready for public consumption.

To be fair, though, I've only used it a few times. And I normally keep it turned off. When I need it, I turn it on.

Chris

Alphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 04:17 AM

I was waiting for this feature for 2 years! I use it everyday. It's great especially since I'm using a cube so I can't put any extra cards in.

I just wish they would optimise it and take off the speed limit and let it run at full firewire speed.

Hopefully in panther it will be a full featured option.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
Apparently it's supported in 10.2.5 server. Anyone know how to use it? KBase has no information whatsoever.
If you look closely you'll notice that on an Xserve you now have three Ethernet interfaces in Network (and probably two on a Power Mac when running Mac OS X Server).
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2003, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
If you look closely you'll notice that on an Xserve you now have three Ethernet interfaces in Network (and probably two on a Power Mac when running Mac OS X Server).
Could you post a pic of the prefs setting? I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't have Jag Server but would like to see IP over FW

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Could you post a pic of the prefs setting? I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't have Jag Server but would like to see IP over FW
The prefs just look normal, but the third interface wasn't there before 10.2.4.

Here's a shot from Server Monitor (the Xserves are running headless):

JLL

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 05:25 AM

In my experience, IP over FW works, but not well enough. You have to set IPs manually, and OS X has multihoming problems so your FW IP address leaks onto your other interfaces (like ethernet). I have gotten emails from my school's IT department complaining and telling me to stop what I am doing because my ethernet address is attempting to use a 192.168 address (my FW address).

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 05:32 AM

I heard that some people were experiencing blown firewire ports down the beta thats why apple pulled the download.

Sounds like something rendezvous should be able to take care of.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2003, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
The prefs just look normal, but the third interface wasn't there before 10.2.4.

Here's a shot from Server Monitor (the Xserves are running headless):
Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to see.

BTW, is the first set of icons in the "Status Summary" the number of hard drives installed? Or why do your first two have only one and the others three? (just curious)

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
BTW, is the first set of icons in the "Status Summary" the number of hard drives installed? Or why do your first two have only one and the others three? (just curious)
Yes, that's the number of hard drives.

One of the Xserves with one hard drive will be connected to an Xserve RAID next week, and the other one is running JBoss which doesn't require much hard drive space.

One of the Xserves with three hard drives is where our homedirs (3 x 60GB) are placed and the other one is our external image server (1 x 60GB and 2 x 180GB).
JLL

Apr 16, 2003, 05:56 PM

anybody know if 10.2.5 Server supports booting off a mirrored RAID yet? i know it boots off a striped one... mirrored booting would be extra useful for the 3rd one i'm getting.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 06:40 PM

Can someone who got this working explain how they did so? I followed the instructions in the Apple seed note and so far have no luck. Does the subnet mask, search domain, or dns server require any specific setting? Those weren't mentioned.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 10:29 PM

I wish Apple FW TCP/IP was working 100%. I have a WinXP Pro machine and FW setup automagically. I'd like to do some FW networking here at home.

Has anybody here tried FireNet?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
Does the subnet mask, search domain, or dns server require any specific setting?
No. It may be a different wire, but it's just a normal TCP/IP port. Just set it up the way you would an ordinary TCP/IP port. I've only used it to connect two Macs, so I set up both Macs for DHCP on the Firewire ports. Rendezvous does the rest!

Chris

coolmacdude
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 02:55 AM

Yeah I set it all up and I was able to get an IP through it, and I can see and transfer files between them, but I can't seem to connect to the internet with any browser. It doesn't immediately fail like it would if I didn't have a connection but it just stalls and then times out.

coolmacdude
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 03:00 AM

Never mind, I just got it working. I had to set a manual IP on one and use DHCP on the other. I really hope Apple releases a more functional version soon though.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
I wish Apple FW TCP/IP was working 100%. I have a WinXP Pro machine and FW setup automagically. I'd like to do some FW networking here at home.

Has anybody here tried FireNet?

That's one cool site.... 64bit fw800.... too cool!

Camelot
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by 010111:
anybody know if 10.2.5 Server supports booting off a mirrored RAID yet? i know it boots off a striped one... mirrored booting would be extra useful for the 3rd one i'm getting.
It's not a function of the server software version, but the hardware.

The XServe was the first machine to be able to boot off mirrored drives. All later systems (essentially the MDD-series) have also had this support.
But you can't add Server 10.2.5 to an older G4 system and expect to boot off mirrored drives.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules