Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Jaguar on a TiBook 400

Jaguar on a TiBook 400
trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 01:32 AM

I've got a week and a half alone with my sister's Powerbook G4 400 mhz (original TiBook).... used to be mine back in the day, and I am responsible for her current setup (10.1.5, unembellished)... I was thinking of upgrading her box... 'scuse me, her slab.... to Jaguar over the time I'm here but wanted to make sure it was appropriate for a machine this old (yes I understand the TiBook is not exactly "old" but it is pre-QE).

Will her slab get slower or faster once Jaguar is installed? (most important question)
Does anybody know of any stability or usability issues with Jaguar on this particular model?
Who has made this upgrade themself?

I have upgraded several of my machines and others' to Jaguar in the past, and have been pleased with the results (I've only ever bought one copy of Jaguar, but many of these machines were bought in the window post-announcement and pre-release where I could've bought the upgrade for $25 but was too lazy.... sue me )
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 01:47 AM

I think I remember reading that someone had some issues, so back up everything first. Jaguar should be faster though and most new software will work better with it.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 01:50 AM

I had Jag on my Ti400. It ran ok. I had 10.1 on there too, but if I remember correctly it wasn't really any faster. The operations and stability aspects of the OS were a lot better though.

Don't really remember, it's been a while. But don't expect any significant speed boost though.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2003, 03:36 AM

It runs fine on my TiBook 500. Though I bought used and started with 10.2 so I can't compare it to older OSs. I have not had stability or usability issues with it and much prefer to use it over my P3 600.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 09:06 AM

Been running Jag on My 400 pretty much since it came out. It runs fine and hasnt shown ANY sign of instability. My only crash was totally self induced through an inadvertant wipe of some system folder items. I cant really say that it is faster than 10.1, but all apps run fine on it.

cambro
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 09:13 AM

I updated from 10.1 to 10.2 on a Ti400 (originally mine but now my uncle's...I have a Ghz now ) As everyone is saying, I had/have no problems with 10.2 on this machine. I would say that there is some speed improvement from 10.1, but it isn't tremendous.

I would seriously recommend the upgrade for all of the business under the hood of 10.2 (better printing, networking, etc.) if not for blazing speed gains.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2003, 09:24 AM

I concur, 10.2.6 works wonderfully on my old Tibook 400. It's not as snappy as my 12" 867 of course, but I remember never complaining about the general speed of Jaguar. That is, normal stuff like navigating in the Finder, web browsing, email were all good and responsive. Jaguar didn't slow down the machine.

As for stability or crashing issues--never had any. Jaguar is fully compatible with this machine.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

PBG4 User
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 12:14 PM

I have a Rev. A 500 that runs 10.2.6 fine. I didn't notice any speed fluctuations between 10.1.x and 10.2.x, but like other people have said, the new plumbing in 10.2.x is worth having (easier windows networking, better printing, etc.).

Macola
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 04:54 PM

I have 10.2.5 on my old TiBook 400 and it runs fine. I did notice faster boot up times in 10.2.x compared to 10.1.5 and overall some improvement in speed of the UI. The only problem I had was OmniGraffle Pro 3, which ran like a slug in molasses and had all kinds of screen artefacts...clearly, it requires Quartz Extreme and is not happy without it (it runs much better on my 12" AlBook). Also make sure you max out the memory, if you can.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

OpenStep
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 06:04 PM

I have 10.2.6 running on a PowerBook G4/400 and it kicks ass. Browsing the web and using the finder feels faster than my dad's iBook/800. It's not even noticable that quartz extreme isn't running. My PowerBook is stable and awesome

israces
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2003, 08:43 PM

All good here. But I would suggest, as with anything these days, kicking up the RAM. I'm using 384 and it is completely usable for a daily machine, but I know more would be better.
Backup your Backup

macbuddha1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2003, 08:50 PM

I have been running Jag on my Ti400 from day one of it's release, with no problems whatsoever. In fact, the G4 in the Ti400 continues to best the newest iBook's. I ran Xbench(www.xbench.com) tests on mine vs. a friends brand new iBook 800 and they about broke even, with the Ti besting the iBook in most of the more intensive tests. Lots of memory helps a LOT!
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules