Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Services Menu... what were they thinking?

Services Menu... what were they thinking?
trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 11:46 PM

I use irssi a lot in Terminal.app. It was always nice and convenient to select an URL, then cmd-shift-L and open it in Safari. Easy as pie.

Now they've reassigned Cmd-Shift-L to "google search" and Open URL is without a shortcut. This means when I want to do the very common task of opening a URL, I have to move the mouse all the way up to the services menu and select it.

Yet they have shortcuts for "send to bluetooth device", "open in javabrowser", and "google search".

Is there any way I can change this myself?
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 12:23 AM

in terminal.app, just command-click a url and it will open in your browser.

-justin

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
I use irssi a lot in Terminal.app. It was always nice and convenient to select an URL, then cmd-shift-L and open it in Safari. Easy as pie.

Now they've reassigned Cmd-Shift-L to "google search" and Open URL is without a shortcut. This means when I want to do the very common task of opening a URL, I have to move the mouse all the way up to the services menu and select it.

Yet they have shortcuts for "send to bluetooth device", "open in javabrowser", and "google search".

Is there any way I can change this myself?
Menu Masters from unsanity will do this when it is finished for Panther.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2003, 07:24 AM

You can tweak the Keyboard Shortcuts for Services if they clash - it involves editing a PList file though - so not entirely risk free.

see Bottom of here for a basic guide how to :

http://www.monkeyfood.com/software/TaggingService/

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 07:39 AM

I really wish they would be the services menu in the contextual menus, be really handy.
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 09:00 AM

I really wish they would be the services menu in the contextual menus, be really handy.
I agree. Take a look at ICeCoffEE. It adds a Services Menu to the OS as well as to the context menu in most apps.

-- Jason

{edited to provide correct information about ICeCoffEE)
( Last edited by jasong; Nov 13, 2003 at 09:40 AM. )

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 10:25 AM

Shameless plug: You can also use BrowserService to open URLs. Because it begins with 'b' it typically goes to the top of the list and takes 'command-shift-u' for 'open in default browser'.

It also handles things like line breaks in the middle of URLs, which the terminal command-double-click or even the safari shortcut won't.

The current version has stopped working with Camino. I'm planning on releasing another version soon that fixes that and has more robust URL handling, particularly with international characters.

ntsc
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 01:35 PM

i think Apple needs to seriously sort out the interface that the currently have for the services functionality cos the menu system we have just ain't cutting it. it i don't have any better ideas of how to implement it, thats apple's department but in order to make them more useful they need to be more immediately accessible. there also needs to be a better system for dealing with the situation where you have loads of services.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

trusted_content  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by nickm:
Shameless plug: You can also use BrowserService to open URLs. Because it begins with 'b' it typically goes to the top of the list and takes 'command-shift-u' for 'open in default browser'.

It also handles things like line breaks in the middle of URLs, which the terminal command-double-click or even the safari shortcut won't.

The current version has stopped working with Camino. I'm planning on releasing another version soon that fixes that and has more robust URL handling, particularly with international characters.
Thanks for the plug.

DOWNLOADED
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 02:18 PM

Hey Jasong, Nickm, thanks for the links, just got them downloaded and will give them a run. Looks good, btw.
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 02:35 AM

IceCoffee 1.4 is just great. Everyone who uses services (and doesn't mind using APE) should check this out.

http://web.sabi.net/nriley/software/

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 04:28 PM

Oh, yeah, another must have if you use BrowserService (or any other Service that has a keyboard shortcut) is HotService. HotService makes the keyboard shortcuts of the Services menu immediately available upon launching apps. A godsend if you have been annoyed by the brain-dead way it works now.

IceCoffee performs a similar service, but requires APE.

Forum Links
Forum Rules