Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Noisy iMac G3

Noisy iMac G3
adamj575
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2008, 03:20 AM

Hi, all. I just bought an iMac G3 off of ebay for fifty bucks. It is the graphite 600mhz model with 512 megs of ram and a 20 gig HD. As soon as I unboxed it and plugged it up it makes a whining noise. It is pretty loud and annoying. Ive looked over the net and think its either the Hard drive (but it doesnt really sound like a hard drive noise) or a crt problem. Does anyone have any useful info on what it might be. I thought about installing osx to an external western digital usb drive and boot up from that to see if the noise persists if not i would know it was the drive. would this work? Like i said i only gave 50 bucks so my expectations werent real high but i would like to get this little unit working properly!!!

P
Sep 23, 2008, 07:19 AM

You've correctly analysed the problem. If you can attempt to find where it is coming from, we might help more: The HD is located near the bottom front of the iMac. If the noise is local to there, it's the HD. If it's higher up, or more general, it's the CRT. Sounds like it is the CRT/analog board, because it comes before you turn it on.

My CRT quiets down after it has been on for a while. I think it needs to heat up. Mine did that when it was bumped down to secondary model and wasn't on all that often anymore. Eventually I had to start unplugging it. These days, it's on 24/7 in a server capacity and I have no problems.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2008, 01:25 PM

The iMac G3's often make that high pitched whining noise as they get older, even the eMac's do it (also have a built-in CRT). My old iMac used to quite down to a little hum, but it never got real silent, sadly.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2008, 01:36 AM

If the problem shows up (hears up) with the system powered off but with mains supply attached the problem is almost definitely the power supply.

P
Sep 24, 2008, 04:58 PM

Those old iMacs don't have a traditional, separate PSU. They have an analog board, which happens to be fastened to the CRT, believe it or not. That is included when we speak of the CRT.

adamj575  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2008, 09:15 AM

It was the hard drive. I only had three days to evaluate the system before my "warranty" ran out from the ebay seller. the more i looked into it i realized it was the hard drive. i didnt want to pay shipping to send the unit back over something that small. the only problem was i didnt have another hard drive, then it hit me. i had an old directivo box that i used to use. i popped that sucker and removed a 40 gig drive and put it in the imac now it works like a charm. thanks for all your responses though!

Forum Links
Forum Rules