Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I need some cell phone help

I need some cell phone help
jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2008, 06:33 PM

Hey guys I am at the end of my Verizon contract and am thinking about changing over to AT&T for the iPhone. However, I will not be getting the iPhone immediately. I would like a phone that works well with a Mac and that I can make ringtones in garageband and put on the phone. Are there any phone that I can do this with? Thanks

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2008, 06:56 PM

If you're planning on getting the iPhone eventually why waste your money? Just get whatever's free and deal with the fact that you don't have some useless features until you get the iPhone. You'll have the money to upgrade to the iPhone sooner this way too.

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2008, 07:11 PM

You can make your own ringtones for an iPhone. You cannot make your own alerts, however. Which kinda sucks.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2008, 08:44 PM

Just get a free phone with BlueTooth or a cable that connects to your computer. You should be able to create an audio file in mp3 or midi format that will work fine as a ringtone. I use a Nokia, but I'd imagine you could do this with most brands.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2008, 08:48 PM

Blackberries take any mp3 as ringtones.

-t

idykenano
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2008, 01:50 AM

So do Motorolas and Samsungs.
Kyoceras use a non-mp3 format, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 26, 2008, 09:29 AM

AT&T doesn't cripple their phones like Verizon does, and in particular the RAZR (my whole family has 'em) has plenty of options that Verizon doesn't want their own customers to have. Like Bluetooth file transfer... Including uploading MP3s. There are a few caveats on using MP3s for RAZR ringtones/alerts, but you can find free tools to convert MP3s to the right specs, and of course you can even use iTunes to do the job, as detailed here. If you have a Windows machine around, you can spend a few bucks and get Motorola's "Mobile Phone Tools" software, which includes an app that lets you clip, reformat, and transfer MP3s as ringtones. I've done this quite a lot; my ringtones are not like anyone else's, so I don't jump (as much) when some other Motorola phone starts ringing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules