Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > how many of you get dessert after a nice dinner at a restaurant?

how many of you get dessert after a nice dinner at a restaurant?
ankle_brains
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 11:49 PM

how many of you get dessert after a nice dinner at a restaurant? even if you are filled up, do you get it anyway and just take a bite and stop? waste of money?

i normally do not get dessert.

what about you?

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2004, 12:07 AM

I only get it if I'm sure I can eat all of it...which is about 50% of the time.

The absolute ONLY exception is "The Cheesecake Factory". Even if I'm filled to the brim, I absolutely cannot leave there without buying a slice of cheesecake...if you've ever had the honor of eating a slice, you'd understand. Of course, it's so expensive I only eat there a couple times a year, usually only for very special occasions, but it's heavenly.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 12:41 AM

It depends.
If the resturant has a speciality thats preety hard to replicate anywhere else, like a special cheesecake or a cobler(spell?). ill get it.

if theyre gonna give me a scoop of generic ice cream and charge me for a wedding cake, id rather goto a baskin robins after dinner instead.

but yea, i almost never order desert.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2004, 12:43 AM

My wife and I usually go to a local ice cream parlor afterwards. It gives us time to settle our stomachs and the quality is a lot higher.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2004, 02:22 AM

Nope. We're either too full to think about dessert, or we'd rather wait a bit and have dessert later at another place that's cheaper or have more options.

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 11:09 AM

Here in Paris, if they have something extremely rich and chocolatey on the menu me and the gf usually split one, with espresso.

That is of course, if the restaurant doesn't suck and we're dying to get out of there.

In Italy if they have home-made tiramisu on the menu we usually get that...

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2004, 11:31 AM

iwhy do iyou ask iso many iquestions?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 12:41 PM

My wife and I always feel at the end of the meal. Dessert doesn't even sound good. Occasionaly when we eat at the Cheesecake Factory, we will order a cheeseckae to take home for later.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2004, 01:09 PM

Share 'em.

Even if you aren't full, do you really need more than 3 or 4 bites?

Including the Graham cracker crust Frango-mint ice cream pie they have the Walnut Room at Marshall Field's...

Yum! I can't take any more!

mindwaves
Jan 17, 2004, 01:25 PM

I never ever have desert at the end of the meal. Most of the places I go to don't even offer dessert!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Rain:
Nope. We're either too full to think about dessert, or we'd rather wait a bit and have dessert later at another place that's cheaper or have more options.
Later? Other Place? When I go out for a meal to a nice restaurant it's usually quite late after when we have finished the main corse, and going somewhere else (even if there was somewhere open that would just serve 'desert') would require an additional Taxi ride.
Coffee on the other hand is a different matter. Fill the machine with water, add new filter and grinds, switch on just before you leave, and have a Guaranteed* quality cup of coffee waiting when you get back.

*My coffee machine has a 'thermos' flask type insulated jug instead of a hot plate so however late I am/we are, the coffee is never burned and is still hot

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2004, 12:05 PM

I want ankle-brains liver with a glass of wine for dessert.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
I only get it if I'm sure I can eat all of it...which is about 50% of the time.

The absolute ONLY exception is "The Cheesecake Factory". Even if I'm filled to the brim, I absolutely cannot leave there without buying a slice of cheesecake...if you've ever had the honor of eating a slice, you'd understand. Of course, it's so expensive I only eat there a couple times a year, usually only for very special occasions, but it's heavenly.
Yes, total agreement with the Cheesecake Factory.

I never get dessert, I'm always plum full when I finish.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Later? Other Place? When I go out for a meal to a nice restaurant it's usually quite late after when we have finished the main corse, and going somewhere else (even if there was somewhere open that would just serve 'desert') would require an additional Taxi ride.
What time do you have dinner? Taxi?? None of you drive?

Friends and I usually have dinner before we do whatever it is we have planned for the evening. After that, laaater that evening after the game/show/etc, we'd drive to a dessert place for dessert and chat till we're either tired, or the place closes

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
I never ever have desert at the end of the meal. Most of the places I go to don't even offer dessert!
I have never been to a resturant that the waitress after the meal, "Would you like to see a dessert menu?"

I ate today at 1:22pm. Got the question from Kate, "Would you like to see a dessert menu. It is now 6:40pm EST and I still feel full.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Buck_Naked:
I want ankle-brains liver with a glass of wine for dessert.
Not cow-brains?

I never order dessert after a dinner.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 12:54 AM

Usually after dinner is an espresso and a ruby port.

Unless I'm at home and it's Folger's nuked from the morning brew and Boone's Farm.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 03:44 AM

Rarely. I have sweet things when I feel like it, also I feel it spoils the taste of the dinner one ate.
In vino veritas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules