Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 CD/DVD drive malfunction

Powerbook G4 CD/DVD drive malfunction
barefoot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 04:13 PM

Anyone out there know about screwy DVD/CD players on Powerbook G4's? Mine was working fine until recently it began pausing during movies, and sometimes quitting altogether, explaining it as an "error it could not recover from". Also, about half the time now, if I insert a DVD, it spits it back out. Sometimes it helps to shut down, or put it to sleep and then try again, but not always. Also, I am trying to burn a DVD to backup my data and it keeps quitting saying there was a "sense" error. I just ran Disk Warrior and cleared up directory problems. This is my only real line of defense when it comes to fixing problems on my Mac. Any suggestions?

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 05:44 PM

My advice is always to start simple. Try using Disk Utility to repair permissions, then reset the PRAM. You could also try running tests under a new user account and see if that makes a difference. If not then it's likely the hardware and you can face that issue when it's proven to you.

Step through the problem starting with quick fixes, even if it's not likely.

pcummins
Oct 17, 2006, 10:42 AM

Also try cleaning the lens head with a lens head cleaner, just need to make sure it slots in OK and doesn't drag dust in from the felt.

Forum Links
Forum Rules