Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Screen problem?

MacBook Screen problem?
callefoss
Oct 16, 2006, 06:31 AM

Hi,

I've just notice some weird 45 degree light light gray lines in the top section of my Macbook screen. These lines are visible when the background is white.

Does anybody else have this?

I am used to work on an external screen and do not really know what to expect from the new screen. It is not that bad but I find it strange that these lines appear about 3cm below the top section of the screen and almost streches out to the edges. It is like a 2cm thick belt with these soft grey lines.

Any ideas.

Thanks
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz, 1.5GB RAM & MacBook 1.83, 1.25GB RAM
OS X 10.5.2
www.blurimage.com

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2006, 10:08 AM

It's not normal, you should call Apple to see about a repair/replacement.

callefoss  (op)
Oct 17, 2006, 04:25 AM

OK thanks. Just hope they wont't give me any fuzz about the issue.
OS X 10.5.2
www.blurimage.com

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 01:42 PM

Display defects are generally handled well by Apple, you shouldn't have any issues and it's certainly not normal. Apple employees wouldn't expect such a defect in their new pride and joy either.

callefoss  (op)
Oct 17, 2006, 02:00 PM

Thanks, well houltac like you say I do not expect this from my pride and joy either. I actually took it into an Apple center in Budapest to confirm it but obviously they could not do anything since I did not buy it here. Will call Apple when I am back home. I suppose I have time to take care of this since I just bought it.
OS X 10.5.2
www.blurimage.com

markwm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 05:23 PM

I have this exact same problem on my macbook, very faint diagnal lines in the same place that you have them. They are kinda hard to see but somehow really distracting.

urzsite
Oct 26, 2006, 02:07 PM

I went to an Apple Certified Repair Center, and they showed me different Macbook´s and all had the annoying "45 degree lines / yellow dots in patterns if you look on a grey wall paper" more OR less, and they told me it´s because of the glossy screen.

I can´t believe that to be true. My screen had more then "average" of this, so they agreed to change the display. I also had 1 or 2 dead pixels dead center of the screen, and they kept telling me it was dirt on the inside, and not dead pixels.

Just be sure to be unsatisfied when you get to the store, and make sure you make a good point about this is NOT normal, and how much YOURS is much more affected by this problem for them to change the display.

Good luck! and be sure to let us know whats going on ;-)
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

callefoss  (op)
Oct 26, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by urzsite View Post
I went to an Apple Certified Repair Center, and they showed me different Macbook´s and all had the annoying "45 degree lines / yellow dots in patterns if you look on a grey wall paper" more OR less, and they told me it´s because of the glossy screen.

I can´t believe that to be true. My screen had more then "average" of this, so they agreed to change the display. I also had 1 or 2 dead pixels dead center of the screen, and they kept telling me it was dirt on the inside, and not dead pixels.

Just be sure to be unsatisfied when you get to the store, and make sure you make a good point about this is NOT normal, and how much YOURS is much more affected by this problem for them to change the display.

Good luck! and be sure to let us know whats going on ;-)
well I havn't hade the time to bring mine in yet but I sure as h*ll will get pissed off if they won't replace mine. I've looked at other MBs end they for sure do not have these anoying lines. Will let you know...
OS X 10.5.2
www.blurimage.com

markwm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 08:26 PM

I managed to get my problem showing up on a pic of the screen I took, check it

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....1&d=1161814720

Ive adjusted the contrast so you can see it better in the 2nd pic. Because the issue is hard to spot, it does make me think twice about taking it into an Apple Screen, trying to convince them there is a problem.

It's kinda distracting though.

urzsite
Oct 27, 2006, 03:01 AM

Have you looked close enough callefoss ? I have seen the "lines" on all Macbooks in different stores. The lines are there more or less, if you crank up the brightness, and have the right background color (easiest to see on some grey, or the pull down menu).

Again, if you can see these lines "too much" then, im sure you can claim a display change.

Markwm: See if you can get a wall paper or something that spot it really really easy, so the problem sticks out in their eyes, and be sure to get the technician to look at it - side to side with another Macbook, so he can say "OK" that there is a problem.

When I first went to the shop, and showed them my dead pixel and grey lines, they said "NP - we exchange the screen". Very friendly. They called me 1 week after telling me they got the screen to replace mine, and I went to the store with my Mac... .... I came back 7 hours later to pick it up, just to see they didn´t do anything. I complained, and they got the technician up, and he took another Macbook side by side, and then he acknowlegded the problem with my screen being more "faulty" then average.

All that trouble, but atleast now I should get a new display in a few weeks.

So be sure, that the guy who is actually gonna fix your display, sees this problem.

callefoss  (op)
Oct 29, 2006, 02:52 PM

Hey! I took mine to an Apple certfied techincal center and as I suspected they could not see the problem with my screen. However, they exaplained to me that they could send the computer to Apple but if Apple does not acknowledge the problem I will be ending up paying 110 eoros, and since their technician could not see any issue with my screen it was better not to send it since most likely Apple would not do it either. They also told me that If I had boutght the computer from their store they would have a much stronger negotiation power since they could claim that Apple is delivering bad products to them which could damage their image (which I kind of understand)

My problem is that I bought it from Apple Sweden (which I will call tomorrow btw) and how can I convince them that this is a defective screen and I want it replaced. I live in Brussels and here they do not have any Apple Centers but only authorized repair shops, to which one of them I went to.

Urzsite like you say I will try to send them a crank up my brightness and find a good wall paper or something which clearly shows the problem. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
OS X 10.5.2
www.blurimage.com

markwm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2006, 11:06 AM

Any more news on this? I still haven't decided whether to take mine back or not.

urzsite
Dec 15, 2006, 11:18 AM

Markwm, I dont think there is much you can do about it.

If you can take it back, it will be the same on the next macbook. Mine had so many problems, I have had 3 replairs and it still needed more repairs, so I convinced them to exchange it for a Macbook Pro (I had to get apple care though). The screen on my Macbook was more sharp, but with diagonal lines, and the Macbook Pro is sharp too, but with a hint of flakey white (it's the finish).

Apple really needs to take up the fuzzy issues with their portable screens.

Good luck !

Ps: If you don't play games or depend hugely on your GPU, then there is no reason to think your missing anything in a Macbook Pro compared to a Macbook.

callefoss  (op)
Dec 15, 2006, 12:09 PM

I didn't take mine back either yet. I will need it over christmas and I assume that during and slightly after this period the repair time will be quite long. Will bring it in in the middle of Jan. I spoke to Apple about the problem and they told me that I am allowed to get my screen repaired. Don't really know what they will say in the store though. Hope apple will recognize this problem but I assume it is highly unlikely.
OS X 10.5.2
www.blurimage.com

markwm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 09:52 AM

Guys, an update. As it happens my battery died and so I had to take it into an repairer anyway. I took it to an Autorised service agent instead of an Apple Store and while explaining about the battery I also mentioned the screen.

The guy did notice the issue and he said he thinks the problem is with the backlight and/or a loose wire, he also said I had some screen flicker which I didn't notice.

It just so happens that where the faint lines look worse(top left corner) that is where there is a wire connecting.

Well update you once I get it back.

rpeters83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by markwm View Post
I managed to get my problem showing up on a pic of the screen I took, check it

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....1&d=1161814720

Ive adjusted the contrast so you can see it better in the 2nd pic. Because the issue is hard to spot, it does make me think twice about taking it into an Apple Screen, trying to convince them there is a problem.

It's kinda distracting though.
I have this same problem, however, I can only see it if looking at a slight angle. If I'm looking straight at it, I do not see the lines. This is already my 3rd MB after a series of other flaws. I'd rather have lines than even a single dead pixel IMHO...

COULD IT BE A COATING that was not removed? Perhaps there's a thin plastic film cover that was not removed prior to install. That would explain the lines I think...

Ryan

DeadStar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 10:10 AM

Hi all,

I recently bought a Macbook and had the exact same issue. After reading this, I brought it into my local apple store (Bluewater in Kent, UK) and showed them the problem. I also brought printouts of this topic and the picture outlining the problem (thank you very much to markwm for making that). They saw the problem and replaced it immediately, though since it was a business purchase that may have had something to do with it. So for those in doubt of taking it back I recommend you bring in a photo of the issue so you can show exactly what they're looking for. Its a really annoying issue, so good luck to anyone else who is trying to get theirs replaced.

MarcellaL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 02:35 PM

I also had a similar problem with mine but recently I found a great tech support site that help me fix my problem. They have live chat support that you can use for free.

This is the page for Apple Macbook Support

Hope it helps

Marcy

mjuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 04:10 PM

Hi, I have this problem too, all over the display,
do you think apple would replace the screen for free if i am outside the 14 day replacement period but within the 90 day cover period?
i do not have apple care
thanks very much
mjuk

PS, i also have two small stuck pixels in the middle of the screen
( Last edited by mjuk; Jun 3, 2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: missed out something)

Forum Links
Forum Rules