Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How long is a reasonable repair time?

How long is a reasonable repair time?
simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 05:14 PM

As a customer of Apple how long do you believe is an acceptable/reasonable time to fix a diagnosed problem with a recent edition powerbook?

My powerbook developed a firewire bus problem and so I dropped it off at the local AppleCentre 15 days ago. They confirmed my diagnosis the next day and said they ordered the part from Apple. The part arrived a day later and since then it has sat on a shelf waiting for a tech to install the new board.

I called yesterday - got some whiney excuse about lots of repairs and that they don't know when they'll be able to get to it. I need my powerbook ack to complete some work - I expected it gone for maybe a week - not 2+ weeks.

What sort of service do you get from Apple in other parts of the world?
this sig intentionally left blank

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 05:25 PM

I work for an AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) and any way you look at it that is unacceptable and a report should be logged with Apple (although that kind of thing is supposed to be traceable through Apples GSX system.

We aim (and meet the goal at least 99% of the time, seriously) of diagnosing same day or before 10AM the next day, ordering the part the day of diagnosis (usually within an hour of diagnosis) and fitting the part the day of delivery. Macs are turned around in 24-48 hours usually (assuming the customer picks it up promptly) and the only repairs over 3 days are ever due to stock availability and back order. In short, it's only Apple that ever slows us down if they don't have a part in stock (but usually they deliver next day).

Apple have goals they set AASPs (and I presume they are at least the same if not tighter for Apple Stores) for all stages of the repair and every company I know of says at worst they aim for a 5 day turn around (as Apple requests for all repairs as far as I am aware). This doesn't only effect the customer, but the AASP/Apple Store also.

Call Apple and make a point of the repair stating times, dates, locations, phone calls and a serial number if you can. If not wait until after the repair or follow up then with the repair number and serial of the machine. Apple have kept their end up, now it's time the repair centre did and if they can't keep up they should pass it on to someone with less repairs on their hands.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2006, 05:48 PM

It's worth it to call. Several people on here have gotten freebies for having to wait too long, like RAM upgrades.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

chipchen
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 06:00 PM

Well, in this case it's not Apple's fault.. i t's AppleCentre, a third party. I would take your computer back and take it elsewhere. Or, there's no reason you can't be using your computer while they wait for the queue to get shorter and call you when it's time for you to bring it in.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 05:07 AM

Update

Today I made a complaint to Apple Australia - I was going to write that they were "*completely* useless" however they did manage to get my repair bumped up the list. So I went late this afternoon after work to pick it up.

I checked the powerbook before I left their office to find half my RAM dead - they hadn't checked this. I also found the unit locked in some sort of OS diagnostic mode which required zapping the PRAM to get rid of it.

Not happy - I may have the unit back but now I have to return when they get the replacement RAM in.
this sig intentionally left blank

Nivag
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by houltmac View Post
I work for an AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) and any way you look at it that is unacceptable and a report should be logged with Apple (although that kind of thing is supposed to be traceable through Apples GSX system.

We aim (and meet the goal at least 99% of the time, seriously) of diagnosing same day or before 10AM the next day, ordering the part the day of diagnosis (usually within an hour of diagnosis) and fitting the part the day of delivery. Macs are turned around in 24-48 hours usually (assuming the customer picks it up promptly) and the only repairs over 3 days are ever due to stock availability and back order. In short, it's only Apple that ever slows us down if they don't have a part in stock (but usually they deliver next day).

Apple have goals they set AASPs (and I presume they are at least the same if not tighter for Apple Stores) for all stages of the repair and every company I know of says at worst they aim for a 5 day turn around (as Apple requests for all repairs as far as I am aware). This doesn't only effect the customer, but the AASP/Apple Store also.

Call Apple and make a point of the repair stating times, dates, locations, phone calls and a serial number if you can. If not wait until after the repair or follow up then with the repair number and serial of the machine. Apple have kept their end up, now it's time the repair centre did and if they can't keep up they should pass it on to someone with less repairs on their hands.
can i ask which dealer you work for? as i know of at least 2 in London that have at least a 2 week back log unless you pay extra to expedite the repair.

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 02:47 PM

I work for a small company based in Cheltenham (outside Bristol/Birmingham). We are in discussions with other AASPs as well as Apple to help ease the load on other repair centers. In addition you can mail your items to us, but we would have to charge for mailed return at RM Special Delivery rates with insurance which isn't always cheap (iPods are �6). This applies to warranty repairs also unless your local dealer will pay the postage for you.

Although quite simple to find, I won't post the name of the company to save myself any comeback, just in case, but we are AASPs, ASEs and an AR.

Forum Links
Forum Rules