Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone have this: Seagate FreeAgent™ Pro External Hard Drive 1TB

Anyone have this: Seagate FreeAgent™ Pro External Hard Drive 1TB
forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2008, 11:54 AM

Anyone have this: Seagate FreeAgent™ Pro External Hard Drive 1TB (ST310005FPA1E3-RK)

HI all, these just became available here in Nepal and I need a drive bad. I was thinking if I could find something like this:
eSata ExpressCard
then the drive would be blazing fast. I need some sorta large size editing drive for video (sick of using offline media and all the headaches with that). No idea where I will find the card though...I saw a knockoff in Bangkok at the apple store but they wanted well over 200USD which I thought was just robbery so I did not buy.

Anyway, any thoughts on the drive? Too big? Fast enough? Really Mac compatible? (I understand u just have to wipe the drive and there is no mac software really, but I have no need - I use TM).

Thanks for advice,
FH

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2008, 12:17 PM

I have the 500GB version and use it for Time Machine. No problems - just plugged it into a USB port and it worked.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 02:07 PM

It's fine via USB or FireWire, but buy something else if you want eSATA; the eSATA chipset in the FreeAgents is terrible.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 03:47 PM

That's odd, why would eSATA need a bridge chipset at all? Shouldn't it just be able to send the SATA through natively?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2008, 04:21 PM

thanks guys! hmmm...wonder what's up with esata and macs. the express card i looked at in BKK needed a driver. that looked like trouble too. i have these other aluminum cases that i love from Bangkok that supposedly have a lacie chipset inside, but i dont have the expresscard to do any testing. These cases have all 4 interfaces/usb/fw400/800/esata. i do have an internal desktop card however that came with the cases...maybe this is an excuse to get a macpro? Seriously, i can't believe how tight mfgs are with interfaces on drives...how much extra can it add to just put all the interfaces into the case?
FH

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
That's odd, why would eSATA need a bridge chipset at all? Shouldn't it just be able to send the SATA through natively?
Sure, if the enclosure is SATA only and you're willing to assume that the hard drive will maintain eSATA voltage specs. The first isn't the case here and I'd be hesitant to buy from someone who went with the latter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules