Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Will you purchase the next gen iPhone?

View Poll Results: Will you buy the next gen iPhone?
Poll Options:
I currently own an iPhone: Yes 51 votes (38.06%)
I currently own an iPhone: No 17 votes (12.69%)
I don't currently own an iPhone: Yes 51 votes (38.06%)
I don't currently own an iPhone: No 15 votes (11.19%)
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll
Will you purchase the next gen iPhone?
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 11:09 AM

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse I just figured I would create a poll to see what peoples thoughts were. Explain why you answered yes or no.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2008, 11:12 AM

I was thinking about it until I realized I had to get a data plan.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I was thinking about it until I realized I had to get a data plan.
Were you just planning on using wifi?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2008, 11:18 AM

Pretty much.

My desire to get an iPhone is more rooted in the fact that there are no attractive phones out there outside of the RAZR which is ridiculously overpriced.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2008, 12:04 PM

I will most likely give my iphone to my wife when her verizon contract ends and upgrade to a newer one for myself.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2008, 12:07 PM

I've been waiting for the 3g, so the odds are good that I'll buy one.

Cold Warrior
Apr 2, 2008, 12:08 PM

Probably buy one if it sells at the same price point.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2008, 12:26 PM

I voted yes. I'll try to give my current one to my wife and keep the 3G one for myself.

Cold Warrior
Apr 2, 2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I'll try to give my current one to my wife and keep the 3G one for myself.
Easier said than done.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2008, 12:44 PM

I have my 8gb which I bought when the iPhone came out and have decided that I will buy the iPhone '2' and give my current iPhone to my dad.

I almost bought the 16gb iPhone, but decided to wait until it gets a real upgrade. I'm not in any hurry.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Easier said than done.
True, but she has never really shown much interest in getting an iPhone so I'm not even sure she would it, let alone a 3G iPhone.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2008, 01:38 PM

I'll probably eBay my first generation 2.5G iPhone and buy a 3G a month or two after they've been in circulation and the bugs are beginning to go away...
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2008, 02:23 PM

I'll buy a 3G iPhone at some point this year. Probably not right at launch.

I do not own the current iPhone.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 03:07 PM

There are a few specific features I'm hoping for (A2DP support, higher-res/autofocus camera, real GPS), but I doubt missing any of them will be a deal breaker, as long as there's 3G and the price doesn't skyrocket. I just switched to AT&T from T-Mobile and didn't bother to get a data plan (at $15, vs the $6 I paid before). But I imagine by June I'll have serious internet-in-the-pants withdrawal.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2008, 03:16 PM

Once there is a 3G version I will upgrade, yes.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 03:39 PM

I don't know maybe. As fun as they are, the friends I know that have them can't put them down. One guy was fussing with it all through dinner and at one point even put his headphones on. Apparently, he had an immediate and all consuming need to access the internet/watch a video. He's had it for awhile to so its not a new toy for him. Not sure I want to constantly distract myself like that.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I don't know maybe. As fun as they are, the friends I know that have them can't put them down. One guy was fussing with it all through dinner and at one point even put his headphones on. Apparently, he had an immediate and all consuming need to access the internet/watch a video. He's had it for awhile to so its not a new toy for him. Not sure I want to constantly distract myself like that.
Sounds like your friends are just complete dweebs.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2008, 05:06 PM

Depends on what it has. More gigs... No. 3G but no front camera... no.

But if it has a flash for the camera, a front camera for video calling and 3G with unlimited plans.... perhaps.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2008, 05:17 PM

I don't have one now, but by the time the next iPhone comes out my Verizon plan will have expired, so I will probably get it. It has to have 3G though and 32 Gb of storage. Video camera would be sweet and so would a better regular camera, but it's not a requirement, same with GPS. The more the merrier

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 05:34 PM

I got some "insider" info on the new iPhone recently, from someone who has tested a prototype. I would say it's worth waiting for and I will probably be buying it.
( Last edited by maxintosh; Apr 2, 2008 at 05:43 PM. )

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2008, 06:23 PM

I switched from AT&T to Verizon right at the time of the iPhone. I really can't stand Verizon, and as soon as I can afford an iPhone after the new ones come out, I'll buy one. I'll pay the cancellation fees to get away from Verizon.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 06:29 PM

Nope. I don't have an iPhone and won't buy one. I dislike the design very much and the GUI is way too playful for me.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2008, 07:15 PM

It's the first phone I've used in the ten years since my Siemens C25 that's actually usable.

As in, functionality is actually intended to be *used*, as opposed to listed on the box and a complete and royal pain in the ass in real life.

I'll probably be getting the second revision some time this year.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2008, 08:01 PM

No T-mobile in the US?
No third party persistent apps?
No tethering?
No hardware keyboard?

Pass.

It's a great mobile web browser and a good phone, but the above 4 make it undesirable for me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
No T-mobile in the US?
How is T-Mobile so much better than AT&T ?

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2008, 08:32 PM

The only thing I can think of is they have crappy phones and cheap plans. And Starbucks WiFi

vln2
Apr 2, 2008, 09:27 PM

I bought my iPhone on day one and I knew that I will buy another one when 3G version comes out.
Even crappy AT&T coverage did not change that.
Today the "Genius" swapped my old iPhone for a new one after the lowest line on my screen stopped responding. That works for me, I guess my wife will have a new, old iPhone.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
No hardware keyboard?
I am faster with the software keyboard than any hardware keyboard I have ever used. This is the last thing I miss.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2008, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The only thing I can think of is they have crappy phones and cheap plans. And Starbucks WiFi
The crappy phones thing is bullsh!t. They have generally pretty similar phones as AT&T, because both are GSM providers.

Try again.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 03:53 AM

From a technical POV sure. I miss tethering (I'd love to use it as a 3G modem for my MBP on trips) though, but apart from that the hardware, software (with 3rd party apps), and the 3G will make it a killer device. Basically it will be a Mac nano that fits your pocket.

The reason I probably still won't get one is because of the carrier lock. I can't justify getting a very expensive voice plan with minutes I'll hardly be able to use and then pay a whole lot more for all those minutes when I'm roaming abroad (which is a lot in my case). I'd be looking at bills in excess of ~$200 per month and I'm simply not willing to pay a carrier that kind of money for 24 months.

So what I'm planning on doing is getting a 32GB iPod touch (or 64GB hopefully if they update it within the next few months) and then using some cheap tiny cell phone for my actual calls. Fortunately most places I go to (work, home, other universities, airports, etc.) have wireless so an iPod touch should be almost as good and versatile as an iPhone.

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 07:12 AM

Just waiting for the 3G. Come on Apple.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
Sounds like your friends are just complete dweebs.
lol. I can't deny it! Since I'm the proud owner of a t-shirt that had an image of yoda done in glittery grean beads I suppose I'm pretty much a dweeb too. sigh.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 10:11 AM

I'm only waiting to stereo bluetooth support [A2DP?]. Don't care about 3G at all, just want to listen to music sans wires.

apollo11
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2008, 10:46 AM

I will buy an iPhone when it stops being rubbish value for money((ie the contract is ditched)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 11:18 AM

Well thanks to this deal that ends on June 30 we now pretty much know the Germans will get the new iPhone on July 1. The US could be earlier.

paul w
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 11:20 AM

I've had my iPhone since September and it's ruined me for any other device. I'll get the 3g model and the litttle lady will get the old one (as she has my old sony ericsson as it is). Whether she unlocks it or switches to AT&T is up to her.

tintin220
Apr 3, 2008, 12:40 PM

I've no need for data from a carrier when there is Wifi, and I figure EDGE models will be considerably cheaper than the new 3G ones.

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by tintin220 View Post
I've no need for data from a carrier when there is Wifi, and I figure EDGE models will be considerably cheaper than the new 3G ones.
Not necessarily. They give 3G phones away for 'free'.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 02:13 PM

Cool toy, but I don't have a need for one. Plus the plans are just more than I want to spend.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Just waiting for the 3G. Come on Apple.
You get 3G coverage in your area? All the 3G iphones in the world aren't going to help if AT&T doesn't get their network in gear.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Well thanks to this deal that ends on June 30 we now pretty much know the Germans will get the new iPhone on July 1. The US could be earlier.
And thanks to that deal and the new low-end contract option, they might actually SELL the odd iPhone, as opposed to just, you know, *stocking* them.

"Disappointing" sales, indeed.

F*cking morons.

BEK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2008, 05:01 PM

I am still waiting and hoping that you will be able to buy it without a contract as I currently work in three different countries within Europe and have SIM cards for them all to keep my costs down, Being tied to a single provider is not an option. I also believe that if I'm willing to pay for hardware I should be able to do with it what I wish! Would anyone by a MacBook Pro if in order to have one you had to sign a two year contract with a single internet provider and a monthly payment for two years that in effect more than doubles the price that you initially paid? I think not! I hope Apple wake up to this as I know many people who have not bought the 1st gen for that very reason, Myself included.
I think Apple make some of the best hardware/software available on the market and have been be using macs for many years, I just hope they wake up to a gap in their marketing strategy as many Europeans travel between countries and do not wish to pay excessive roaming charges.

With contract , Without contract

Wake the F@ck up Apple

Mac Pro
MacBook Pro

( Last edited by BEK; Apr 3, 2008 at 05:13 PM. )

paul w
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 05:32 PM

Did I dream that Orange sold unlocked phones in France? Are you quite certain Apple doesn't want to be able to just sell it to everyone, and eventually will?

lklarson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2008, 05:45 PM

When the exclusive AT&T deal expires, I'll be right there. I like the interface a lot, but having used two of them belonging to friends, I am not willing to give up EVDO connectivity. With good connectivity, the phone is a winner. As it is, hunting for wifi, I don't care at all.
( Last edited by lklarson; Apr 3, 2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: clarification. Did not display as I had anticipated.)

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 08:35 PM

I've no use for a 3G phone as they don't have it where I live. And although I spend quite a bit of time in the States, I haven't figured out a way to get broadband internet with T-Mobile's pre-paid plan. Thus, I've only got WIFI internet while in the U.S.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2008, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Did I dream that Orange sold unlocked phones in France? Are you quite certain Apple doesn't want to be able to just sell it to everyone, and eventually will?
They make a LOT more money off the contract deals than off the phone itself.

Orange sells unlocked iPhones because they're *required* to by law, and I was told recently that the phone will only work in countries that already sell it - UK, Germany, France, Austria, and the US. Not sure how that would work, thoug.

BEK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 09:42 AM

The unlocked versions in France & Germany don't provide full functionality as the deals made between apple & the providers lock certain features to the provider thus the so called unlocked iphones are not truly unlocked. They also have a starting price in excess of 800€ well over a $1000 for an 8Gb that is a ridiculous price for any phone! If when the next gen appears the 1st gen is truly unlocked and for sale to clear the stock I'll go for that any day, rather than sign up to yet another extortionate monopolised contract deal!

paul w
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
They make a LOT more money off the contract deals than off the phone itself.
I knew that, but I always imagined the underlying goal of the iphone would be to dominate the market along the lines of the iPod. It may be expensive and limited in availability but it reminds me so much of the early iPod that the comparison has to me made. I'm shocked at how ubiquitous it already is.

BEK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 11:15 AM

Things have moved on since the original iPod and you didn't have to sign a contract that restricted you to iTunes if you wanted one!! If you could buy the iPhone even at a premium price straight from an Apple store or online store with no contract I think sales would rocket, just take a look at ebay for proof of the demand for unlocked iphones. It's a great phone which should dominate the market but never will until it's sold unlocked. So many of the other manufactures copying the iphone i.e. LG & Samsung are selling them without contracts cutting into the iPhone market exactly where it hurts the most "Handset only". I have, since the iPhones launch seen 4 being used, not exactly domination of the market (and I work in the IT industry where the latest gadgets are always cool to have). Most mobile phone users are looking for 3 main things, Design: iPhone has this in spades. Function: again it has most areas covered (note I said "most") Good deals: The iPhone offers nothing in this area, most people want to choose what provider and contract type, if any they sign up to. Why do ALL other manufactures offer handset only prices? Answer: Because they have been in this market way longer and know what the customer wants & expects, its a cut throat market and if Apple wants to take a bigger slice of the pie they had better wake up to this fact quickly.

I'd love one but am still using an jailbroken iPod touch and smart phone so I can swap SIMs when I travel.
( Last edited by BEK; Apr 4, 2008 at 01:19 PM. )

loveshismac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 12:42 PM

Thinking about getting an iphone. Do you all think the current iphone prices will drop when the new ones come out this year?

Forum Links
Forum Rules