Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8500 vram

8500 vram
Arnold Layne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2001, 08:33 PM

Hi,
I was leant an 8500/120 by a friend. It didn't work.
I replaced the battery & found the reset switch (poke a chopstick just above the heatsink & hold for 60 secs!)
I plugged it into my 15" multiscan monitor & it came up with 832*624 as max resolution...
He says that on his 14" it had 1024*768!
Is this a limitation with the Apple Multisacn 15", do you think some VRAM has come loose, or has he made a mistake (the last time the machine was booted up was in '97 - since then he salvaged a lot of the RAM from it & forgot it!)
?
I have a strange hobby...

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2001, 10:46 PM

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2001, 10:26 AM

My 8500 at work has 4MB VRAM and an iX Micro UltRez 3D card. The onboard VRAM pushes an NEC VGA 15" at max 1024 and millions o' colors. The card runs a 17" at the same size, maybe a max of 1280. If you have 4 MB VRAM, you should be able to get 1024. When you go to the control panel, try to clik "all" instead of "recommended". In the control strip, hold the ctrl key when you clik the resolutions button to get "all" choices.

Nice Pink Floyd reference...

Arnold Layne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by zac4mac:
<STRONG>My 8500 at work has 4MB VRAM and an iX Micro UltRez 3D card. The onboard VRAM pushes an NEC VGA 15" at max 1024 and millions o' colors. The card runs a 17" at the same size, maybe a max of 1280. If you have 4 MB VRAM, you should be able to get 1024. When you go to the control panel, try to clik "all" instead of "recommended". In the control strip, hold the ctrl key when you clik the resolutions button to get "all" choices.

Nice Pink Floyd reference...</STRONG>
Thanks for advice.
Running a minimal System 8.6 (for speed's sake). Put control strip back on & it only goes up to 832*624 (although I did discover the television output settings!). I had previously tried all the modifier keys I could on the control panel but could not get anything other than 'Recommended'.

I've just pulled it apart again! (worst case design in Apple history!)
All 4 slots are full. They seem to be 2 different sorts of cards interleaved???
All nested securely...
?

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Arnold Layne ]
I have a strange hobby...

Forum Links
Forum Rules