Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Avoiding the Mac Duo Dock TICK OF DEATH!

Avoiding the Mac Duo Dock TICK OF DEATH!
cwashii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2002, 04:15 AM

Logic tells me that the best way to prolong the life of my Duo Dock, with its faulty-designed power supply, was to leave it UNPLUGGED until I need to use it...

But I read somewhere that the best way to prolong the life of the device was to leave it PLUGGED IN, and avoid prolonged unpluggings!

WHICH ONE..?!?

<small>[ 07-25-2002, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: cwashii ]</small>
-------
Craig W.
Mac Proud (1985-) in Houston Texas
Current Toys: Performa 578 & 6115/G3, PowerMac 6100/G3, 7300/200, 7600/200, 7300/200, 7600/233, 7500/132 ... 4 Duo Docks, Three Powerbook Duo 280c's, two Turtle Doves.... AND I still use my Newton 120 daily !!)

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2002, 05:37 PM

The weak part of a DuoDock is a capacitor that is under-rated voltage wise. Capacitors have moisture in them. When they dry up they go out of their normal range and the power supply fails.

Capacitors dry up from non-use and also hot temperatures. The power supply isn't very hot in the DuoDock. I would recommend leaving it plugged in. Components of an electrical device get stressed turning them on and off, so if you leave it on all the time - less of that.

You can also get the capcitor replaced yourself or by someone else fairly easily. It is a 16v cap that is in it I believe. I replaced it with a 50v cap for a friend and he hasn't had any issues since for 4 years. Be sure to replace the cap with the same microfarad size, but you can increase the voltage and temperature rating.

Andrew

Forum Links
Forum Rules