Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RyanAir flight lands at airbase by mistake

RyanAir flight lands at airbase by mistake (Page 2)
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
I hope you don't have to do this a lot.
I don't have to. I do this for my enjoyment. Although "nonstop" I have only been going to Valencia.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 08:33 PM

An German aquaintance of mine once drove from Hamburg to Alicante non-stop in his VW. He claimed he made it in 30 hours and 24 bottles of Coke Light

Well, as long as you enjoy it. One can at least enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way. Me, I'll travel any way I can but I love flying first and foremost with trains as a distant second. I sometimes choose airlines just because of the type of airliner they'll be flying.

The oldest ones I've flown are an Iberia DC-9 which was more than 30 years old and a B747-100, which was at the time almost 30 years old. Ah good memories

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Updated for the 21st Century (and fitting this thread a little better to boot!):

(…)

The pilot immediately muttered to himself, "Oh, crap!" The panicked passenger, hearing this, demanded of the pilot, "What's wrong? What's the matter?"

The pilot responded, "I think I took you to India by mistake."
HAHA so true !!

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
If they were able to land, they'd be able to start. Easy like that.

-t
Sorry but it's not that easy!!
Being able to land does not mean that they'd be able to start!

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2006, 04:23 PM

I have to say that I have used both Easyjet and Ryanair literally dozens of times in the last few years and with my uneducated eyes see little difference between them. Normally I use which ever has the cheapest price if are both flying to where I need to get too. They both fly into Turin airport which is handy as that is where I live and the airport is only a few kms from the city. Recently when neither of them had a convenient flight I flew a british airways. It cost double but was definitely better (no fighting for a good seat etc). Only problem was that I had a long drive to Milan to get the plane.

Ryanair may or may not be crap but they certainly seam successful, they also make money and the planes are always full
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2006, 04:48 PM

hmmmmm...

my speculation as to why they couldn't immediately depart - fuel (and other maintenance services for the aircraft).

be well.

laeth

"nostalgia isn't what it used to be..." - sam burnett

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 04:54 PM

And in Canada it cost you $700. to $900. between Calgary and Montreal. And you might be able to get there the same day if it does not rain, snow or it is not sunny too much.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2006, 04:59 PM

My guess why they can't take off. The insurance company probably took a major ****.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by isao bered
hmmmmm...

my speculation as to why they couldn't immediately depart - fuel (and other maintenance services for the aircraft).

be well.

laeth
It's also no longer used as an Airbase, it said it was an army camp, on the UK news. So there could also be some other essential equipment missing as it is no longer a 'functional' runway.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 30, 2006, 06:14 PM

How about not having an aircrew to fly it out. I mean after all, since they landed at the wrong place, the pilot and copilot may have been sacked.

I've been stationed at a couple of air bases which had been "built especially for" large and heavy planes. One was in Central America and it was the host country's base. The runway was indeed primarily used by Army helicopters; we had a terrible time keeping cows and goats off the airfield when C-5s were inbound. There were specific procedures for aircraft once they had rolled out; they had to go through a long taxi to get to the correct location to unload, and later another long taxi to get back to the takeoff end of the runway.

I'd like to know how this particular airbase is laid out; it would be a much eaiser thing to figure out what was going on with the airliner.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules