Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anybody using SpellTools & OS X?

Anybody using SpellTools & OS X?
Romeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 02:54 PM

I use SpellTools with Mac OS 9.2 and Explorer v.5, and haven't had any problem with it, but i don't know if it will work with Mac OS X. I just bought an iMac, and would like to use SpellTools or a similar program for fast "spelling" while online.

Can you tell me how well SpellTools works with Mac OS X?

Thanks.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2004, 03:14 PM

Use Safari; spell-checking is built-in.

Romeo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 08:48 PM

Use Safari; spelling is built-in. [/QUOTE]

Hmmm...I better start learning about OS X , and very soon. Is Safari a browser or just a "virtual" spell checker within OS X?

SpellTools is a neat little program that resides in memory, and its very small window appears on the screen whenever there is text in a browser, document, etc. It's very useful when online, because I can click on it, and it immediately checks the spelling of what I have typed, then it goes back to its little window somewhere on the screen and out of the way. Does Safari work in a similar fashion?

Fusion
Senior User
Dec 18, 2004, 11:21 PM

OS X has built in spell checking. Any app that is built in Cocoa (the native language to OS X) can take advantage of it. To make sure it is turned on, go into Safari and through the menu Edit>Spelling>Check spelling as you type...

Safari is a browser. Any app on OS X will have this though, unless it is not Cocoa like BBEdit or Firefox.

The native spell checker underlines anything spelled wrong in red and then you can just right click to see the suggested fixes.

Romeo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2004, 12:07 AM

Thank you for the information.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2004, 10:47 AM

I don't anybody other than the OP has used SpellTools. I tried getting SpellTools running on my Grandpa's new 15" PB with no success.
One extra thing. If you still have your installer for SpellTools, hold onto it. It's tricky to find online anymore. The OS 9 updater is readily available but the original installer has been taken down everywhere.

Forum Links
Forum Rules