Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 memory

iMac G5 memory
Romeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 11:34 PM

I understand that the iMac G5 uses the same type of memory sticks the G5 and the PC use. Now, have you noticed any problems with your new iMac and the 1GB PC memory sticks?

I have noticed that at some store prices are as high as $280.00 per GB, while in others around $170.00. I have been thinking of trying some of the lower priced memory sticks, and would like to know your thoughts, good deals you may have had, etc. on this subject.

MrKlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2004, 01:57 AM

One iMac, one iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs...

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Romeo:
I understand that the iMac G5 uses the same type of memory sticks the G5 and the PC use. Now, have you noticed any problems with your new iMac and the 1GB PC memory sticks?

I have noticed that at some store prices are as high as $280.00 per GB, while in others around $170.00. I have been thinking of trying some of the lower priced memory sticks, and would like to know your thoughts, good deals you may have had, etc. on this subject.
Like MrKlin said, there is another post with advice. I have not had any problems with my 2 GB purchased from Newegg( http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...220-030&depa=1 ), so "less expensive" memory, with good reviews from others is the way to go :-), just my 2 cents
iMac G5 20'' 250GB, 2GB RAM OS X Server 10.4.8
MacBook Pro C2D 3GB RAM

Romeo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 09:39 PM

Thank you for the replies. I think i will give "newegg's" memory sticks a try.

Thanks.

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 11:43 PM

Thank you for the replies. I think i will give "newegg's" memory sticks a try.

Thanks.
Make sure to let us know how it works out, and maybe post a review on Newegg's site to help out any other Mac users who want to buy it.
MacBook Pro C2D 3GB RAM

Romeo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2004, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by papplegate:
Make sure to let us know how it works out, and maybe post a review on Newegg's site to help out any other Mac users who want to buy it.
I will do that. I have read a couple of good reviews from Mac users at "newegg." I will be ordering this weekend, since my iMac is scheduled to arrive on the 29th.

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2004, 12:40 PM

I will do that. I have read a couple of good reviews from Mac users at "newegg." I will be ordering this weekend, since my iMac is scheduled to arrive on the 29th.
I am sure you will enjoy it as well as myself and others have. It has to be the BEST Christmas gift I have received.
Happy holidays to all :-)
MacBook Pro C2D 3GB RAM

PBG4 User
Senior User
Dec 27, 2004, 12:31 PM

I've been using the RAM papplegate linked to in my 20" iMac G5 since last September with no problems whatsoever. Newegg's price for this RAM seems to be unbeatable by anyone. Many Mac users (including myself) have posted positive results with this RAM over in Newegg's comments section as well.

I ran the ioreg command which shows this RAM running in 128 bit mode as well, so this RAM utilizes the full buss available from CPU to RAM.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Romeo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 11:04 PM

I just oredered a 1GB stick from "newegg" last night, and the price was down to $159.00 (from $162.00). The next best price I have found so far has been MDS. They want around $190.00 per GB.

Romeo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 12:55 AM

----------
I just received the 1GB memory stick I ordered from "newegg," and installed on my iMac about an hour ago. I haven't had any problems with it so far, and if everything goes like it's right now, I will post a review at "newegg" by early next week.

The existing memory stick showed is the Profiler as:
DIMMO/J4000
512MB
TYPE: DDR SDRAM
SPEED: PC3200U-30330

The new memory stick shows as:
DIMMO/J4001
1GB
TYPE: DDR SDRAM
SPEED: PC3200U-30440

1.5GB total RAM
( Last edited by Romeo; Dec 30, 2004 at 01:01 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules