Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Linksys BEFSR41 router problems

Linksys BEFSR41 router problems
Romeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 09:52 PM

I was having a problem with this router, as you can see in the following paragraphs. However the problem has been solved as you can see in my last response at the bottom of the page.
---------------------
The following was my original post:

I am having the following problem with a Linksys BEFS41:

When configuring the router I click on "Save Settings," and instead of saving the settings I get a red color screen with the warning: "401 Authorization required..."

According to a Linksys' technician, I should download a firmware upgrade from Linksys and install it on the router using a PC. He said that "the software in the router is not responding as it should." It seems like so much trouble just to get the thing to work that I may just buy another router and send this one back to Linksys.

Has any of you had such trouble with this router before?

Mac 7300/G3 upgrade 400MHz
Mac OS 9.2.2
( Last edited by Romeo; Dec 29, 2004 at 05:16 AM. )

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 10:39 PM

You can update the firmware using a Mac by following the instructions found here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...lp_pg2.htm#Mac

Romeo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 11:00 PM

Thanks. You have been very helpful.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2004, 11:09 AM

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FIRMWARE UNTIL YOU'VE PROVEN THAT IT'S NOT SOMETHING ELSE! "Flashing firmware ain't like dustin' crops, boy." It's really a big problem if you have even the tiniest glitch while you do so-you could wind up with a doorstop, even if tech support told you to do it.

It sounds like your browser is blocking popup windows and/or java scripts. Both are used by Linksys' firmware. Either turn off your security system (whatever you're using) while messing with the setup, or specify that 192.168.1.X should bypass all of it. Then reboot the router (turn its power off-wait a minute-turn it back on) and see if you again have access.

If you have just noticed this, it may be because a) you haven't messed with the router's configuration in a while (which is probably a good thing) and an update to your security system has been done since then, b) you've added a security program since you last configured the router, or c) you have changed browsers (or a browser update added popup blocking).

Let us know what happens.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Romeo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2004, 04:06 PM

It's a new router. I was following the instructions on how to configure it. However, I did forget to turn the anti virus software off. I will "reset" the router to the original or factory specifications, and give it another try. I will let you know what happens.

The technician at Linksys told me to install software version 1.4 something. I found the correct software, but I plan to download it and install it with a PC, but only if I have to. The version of StuffIt Expander I have on my Mac (v.6.5.1) doesn't like to expand the PC firmware upgrade., so for the time being I can't use the shareware in the link posted above.

I have any more problems with the router I plan to send it back to Linksys so they can upgrade it.

I will keep you posted (after Christmas, of course )

Forum Links
Forum Rules