Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any UK MBP owners had their "whining" machines fixed?

Any UK MBP owners had their "whining" machines fixed?
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2007, 07:05 PM

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone in the UK had had their whining MBP fixed by Apple?

My Applecare is due to expire in a month or so, and I really ought to be thinking about getting mine fixed.

How did you find the experience? Did it take very long? Did your machine come back without any extra damage (I've taken EXCEPTIONAL care of my MBP and there are no dings, dents, scratches or dead pixels or anything at the mo). Where did y ou take yours to be fixed?

I've never had to have a Mac fixed before, so any advice or experience you could pass on to me would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance for both your time and help,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 03:53 PM

Not had one fixed, but I've fixed one or two. Time will vary from service provider to service provider. An Apple Store will be quickest if you are near one.
I have never damaged a customer machine, but if yours gets damaged they should fix or replace it. Take pictures before handing it over, have them inspect it and sign something testifying to its condition.

Nubben
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 01:20 PM

Hi Matthew,

Yes, I have. My rev A MBP 15" has been in twice for repairs, which amongst other things took care of the whining and mooing noises. Evidently they use a different logic board now (replaced the original one), which the Genius Bar people told was causing the noise.

Handed mine in at the Apple Store on Regent Street in London.

Hope this helps.

Nubben

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2007, 03:07 PM

Hi,

Thank you both very much for your replies.

I'm definately going to get mine looked at. In fact, I'm just formatting and re-installing the OS as I type (on another Mac )

Do I have to contact Apple first to get "authorisation" and a case number (in which case, does someone have the phone number that I need to call - I can't find it anywhere on Apple's website).

I'm planning to take mine to Cancom in Cambridge - it's the nearest one to me (still a 60-mile drive tho!) on Saturday. Hopefully, they will be aware of the whining issue and know to replace the logic board.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to reply,

Matthew

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 06:27 PM

A question for those who've had a replacement logic board: Has the whine been 100% eliminated? Is there still any whisper of the offending noise to be heard if you put your ear up close? Just asking because my MPB has a whine when on AC, but it is only audible in a quiet room. Would like to decide if a repair is worth bothering with.

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2007, 03:33 PM

Ok, so I took in my MBP about 10 days ago and explained what the problem was (the guy said he could definately hear the buzzing) and explained - due to the number of posts I've read on this and other forums - that it was quite possibly the logic board.

Today I have a call from the engineer who is looking at my MBP and he says that it's the hard disc making the noise. I explain to him about the logic board and also that the buzzing only happens when I'm running off the battery and not the AC charger. I also told him that when I run the QuietMBP app all the buzzing disappears (whether on battery or AC). He said he would go off and have another look.

Now, is it likely that it could be the hard disc? I don't think it is, but I'm not an Apple-certified engineer (or any type of engineer, actually ) so I certainly wasn't going to tell the guy his job.

It's a good 3 - 4 hour round trip to the repair centre and I REALLY don't want to get there just to test the machine and hear it buzzing away again.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Matthew

MagicBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2007, 06:07 PM

I took my Rev A MBP in to the local Apple Store about 3 weeks ago for the whining issue as the warranty was up in a couple of weeks. The Genius agreed and they booked it in to swap out the logic board and possibly the fans. It took around 7 days including ordering the parts in. You'd never know they'd given my Mac a heart transplant - they did a good job.

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2007, 06:07 PM

Well, what a saga!

Took the MBP into the repair centre on 30th March. As mentioned above had various phone conversations about it being the hard drive, but the engineer said it deffo was the hard drive and that the whining was fixed.

Had to pay for next day delivery to get it returned to me. But they couldn't be bothered to send it, so it came the 'next' next day. But they wouldn't refund the costs for original next day delivery. Anyway, got MBP back and still buzzing as loud as ever. I received it back on 23rd April. So it only took them 3 weeks to not be able to fix it. Way to go, guys. Well done.

Whinged to original repair centre, who really didn't seem to care.

Spoke to Apple UK, who were pretty good about it. I told them to definately not pay the original repair centre as they'd repaired nothing.

Phoned another repair centre, Getech, and sent the MBP to them on the 23rd April. They got it 24th April. Fixed it 25th April. Sent it back 26th April. I received it 27th April. ALL FIXED AND WORKING FINE!!!! 1 week vs 3 weeks!!! Now that's how to do it!

So, based upon my personal first-hand experience, Getech are a brilliant repair centre, C****M aren't (pm if you want to know who!).

Cheers,

Matthew
( Last edited by Matthew Attoe; Apr 29, 2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: fat fingers)

Forum Links
Forum Rules