Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Honda Civic CD player issues

Honda Civic CD player issues
macfantn
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2010, 08:03 PM

Figures just paid off my car now my cd player is acting up. When I load a CD it takes 1-2 minutes to read the disc then it spits the disc out and just flashes the word disc on the display. Anyone have any suggestions of what might cause this? I've search on google and haven't had much luck.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 8, 2010, 09:57 PM

You could pull the player's fuse and let it sit for a short time. Or maybe better yet, pull the MAIN fuse. The processor in the player could simply need a "hard reboot." I had a flaky player straighten right up after my factory battery was replaced and I had to re-enter my anti-theft code...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 10:06 PM

Time to buy a new car.
Vandelay Industries

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2010, 11:07 PM

Just disconnect your battery and reconnect it and put in the code.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Just disconnect your battery and reconnect it and put in the code.
some dealers charge for that code, the P.O. of my car pay $90 for the code... thankfully they wrote it down for me...

sounds like it's time to start searching for a new stereo, hop on crutchfield and price one out, if you are handy with simple wiring their instructions are amazing, it could not be easier with their instructions.

-Zach

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2010, 12:52 AM

Time to get a new life.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
some dealers charge for that code, the P.O. of my car pay $90 for the code... thankfully they wrote it down for me...

sounds like it's time to start searching for a new stereo, hop on crutchfield and price one out, if you are handy with simple wiring their instructions are amazing, it could not be easier with their instructions.

-Zach
Each Honda stereo comes with a card that has your code on it. Mine are in a file with other important documents. It's also possible to look up the code online-but you need specific data that only the owner should have access too. It's pretty secure.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 9, 2010, 09:32 AM

Buy a Jeep Liberty. I hear their stereos work great.

finboy
Apr 9, 2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Buy a Jeep Liberty. I hear their stereos work great.
Not. Ours went haywire at about 20k, recovered, is back at it again. Now the speakers on one side are boofed.

Crutchfield is the best recommendation. If you're just replacing the in-dash unit, it should take about 15 minutes. Also, check out their closeouts and you can get some sweet deals.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2010, 12:37 PM

some dealers charge for that code
FYI, my code was on a sticker in the glove box. Sometimes it's on top of the radio too, which necessitates removing the radio to find it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2010, 01:13 PM

-Zach
I've never heard of such a practice. All Honda needs is the serial number of the radio which can be found on a sticker inside the glovebox. If there isn't that sticker, then it's on the back of the radio as well. No reason to buy a new stereo just because of this.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2010, 06:26 PM

The Pioneer tape deck in my Honda has no radio code

Long since replaced with a Sony headunit - shame the iPod connector is incompatible with my iPhone.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2010, 06:40 PM

Oh, you should also be able to get the code for free from Honda's Owner Link website.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 07:09 PM

My car had no code, I looked!

the first owner of my car was some punk kid who had it taken away for too many speeding tickets (with only 3k on the odo) the second owner was a very nice 30something lady who told me the story about the stereo... there was a note in the back of my owners manual "paid $90 for stereo code"

this is on a 02 Civic EX...

I pressed the 1 and 6 button and turned the unit on, which displayed the serial number (only works once its asking for the code) and the dealer lookup only works if they have you on their books, which seeing as I was the 3rd owner, and I purchased it privately I was not. luckily it was written down..

I strongly suggest you find the code and write it down on multiple places... if you have a dealer who is making you pay, it might end up being cheaper to just replace the stereo.

-Zach

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2010, 07:41 PM

I think that dealer ripped her off big time, I called my local dealer (Front Range Honda) with the serial number and they gave it to me over the phone (and that's the only time I've ever interacted with them).
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Apr 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2010, 07:49 PM

Depends on if the dealer thinks they can make a quick buck.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2010, 12:27 AM

Unhooked the battery, reset radio code, and now my radio works. Thanks guys!!!
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 10, 2010, 07:54 AM

I like being right-glad your player is working again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules