Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 4

Battlefield 4 (Page 4)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh god, I found the Defuse game type. It's S&D from CoD, only renamed because I don't know why (Meanwhile they changed Conquest Domination to Domination).
I've only played two matches, but I loved it. I only left because there were two guys with headsets that made life miserable for the rest of us.

Its sooooo good. Except for the randoms. Too many seem to think its Stealth Deathmatch, so you're stuck with some idiot carrying the bomb 2 v 1 and he's not even trying to arm it. Frustrating.
Bingo. Horrible. How could they go about fixing it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2013, 01:30 PM

Alright, another weekend playing BF4 and some more thoughts/conclusions:

BF4 makes BF3 feel like it was its Alpha. Everything BF3 did, BF4 added to. More weapons, more weapon classes, more attachments, more vehicles, more types of vehicles, more vehicle unlocks, more equipment, more ways to score, more types of environments, more destructibility, more game modes. Despite all the bugginess, it really is a huge improvement and it puts the CoD polish and ship format to shame.

Now, for that bad part – they over nerfed the vehicles. While I think part of it is in reaction to player feedback, I'm afraid part of it is to cater to the CoD infantry types. Retreading previous ground:

Attack Helicopter, former death machine:

Nerfs – Limited ammo, gunner made less accurate, longer reset between flare/ecm, any hit temporarily makes vehicle uncontrollable (if not sideways or upside down)
Buffs - ?

Compared to the scout heli, which can have onboard repairing, this is shit.

Speaking of the scout heli, as a passenger, DICE did a fantastic job of making the positions now useful. You can now fire and forget LAWS at ground vehicles quickly. Guns feel more accurate. And the big one for me, recons can mark targets with the goggles. The downside is the passenger seat no longer spots, and thus is useless where it used to be very useful. Also the main guns have been toned gun (of course)

---

Tanks:

Nerfs - Lost driver proximity, mobility hit, critical hit
Buffs - Dedicated anti-rocket measures

I'd rather have the proximity, when it's 3,000 engineers killing me. If they're gonna do this, bring back the old splash zone from early BF3. Also, both the LMG and HMG are worthless.

---

Attack boats are the one exception. The main gun is a beast from the BF3 side of things, and a touch overpowered (way overpowered compared to all the other vehicles).

---

AC-130:
Nerfs - Paper-like fuselage (able to be destroyed by a single jet strafe), loss of anti-air guns, no flares (at least not on any button I pushed), automatically despawns if enemy commander gains control of gunship cap, almost always Out of Bounds if bailing out from Gunship, limited angle of attack / course over battlefield, not on every map, limited ammo, only spawns if Commander is online
Buffs - Third seat added, IRNV added back

Considering the projectile travel time, you're lucky to get hitmarkers, let alone kills. It has the lowest kill rate of all the vehicles I've used, save for the scout heli, whose guns were nerfed

---

Also a problem: Chain guns. I have guys head-glitching on me and I get several hit markers with the chain gun. ALL I CAN SEE IS THEIR HEAD. How are they surviving multiple headshots from a ****ing chain gun? Best i can tell it sounds like its firing a million bullets a sec, but they sure as hell aren't impacting several at a time.

The big thing is DICE didn't consider the natural nerfs vehicles would get from the console upgrade. Player count has increased from 12 to 16 or 32. On top of the larger variety of rockets. More anti-tank mines. Two classes now have C4. There are more vehicles on the map. Recons have more options to mark vehicles. When it was 4 on one the tank would have a bad day. When it's 12 on 1, you're essentially a ****ing free kill.

Also, I feel confident that DICE turned the volume down on the GTFO alarm. If you're at 30% or 5% the sound is the same. Also, aerial vehicles no longer "eject" you, so you get a lot of suicides just from bailing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2013, 03:23 PM

lulz

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 03:31 PM

Just bought it for the PC (THIS THREAD MADE ME DO IT!!!). Installed quickly, now updating.

It must be five years since I've played an online FPS on the PC, this is going to hurt.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2013, 03:45 PM

In this part of thread, I start to list the weapons I use, and why.

Assault:
AEK - Great for the short to mid game, burst fire option for farther targets. Use for offensive gameplay

M16 - Dedicated mid to long-range AR for maps such as Rogue Transmission

Special: SCAR-H - Rated as powerful as a DMR on single fire, outfitted with a IRNV 2x scope, laser, and muzzle to reduce its generous climb, this weapon allows you to locate and destroy people on the roofs of Flood Zone with little trouble.

Carbines:
CQ: ACE 52 – Still in testing but packs a powerful punch up close
Short toMid: G36C - Not to much recoil, good of killing on full auto up close and from the hip, capable of peppering targets via burst mod from longer distances
Mid: Type 95 – All three fire modes, but excels bursting on less than close targets. Terrible iron sights. Has full auto for emergency CQ situations, but I wouldn't rely on it.
Mid to long: The trusty M4.
Stealth mode: ACW-R – silenced it is evil. Ideal for S&D

DMRs
SKS – If you have to DMR, don't bother with anything else.

Handguns
P226 - Until you unlock later pistols (G18, 1911, 93R) use this one, get all the attachments and enjoy the ride.

Hand Grenades
V40: Throws further and you get more of them? I feel like a sissy trying to throw the M26. Incendiary has its uses as well.

TBD

Shotguns
The M1014 is passable, but not inspiring.

LMGs
Until I unlock and try the M249, the Type 88 is the way to go when you want to lay down some fire, and you want to do it for 5 minutes without letting go of the trigger. Pleasingly accurate, all things considered. I sorely miss my M27 IAR.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Just bought it for the PC (THIS THREAD MADE ME DO IT!!!). Installed quickly, now updating.

It must be five years since I've played an online FPS on the PC, this is going to hurt.
You fool.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 04:08 PM

Bloody Geforce driver now downloading.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2013, 04:08 PM

I hope you get 15 FPS

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 04:12 PM

I hope you get 15 FPS
Maybe the bullets will miss me.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 04:56 PM

89 FPS according to the system test. It said Good overall, and that latency was 33. Too scared to hop into a server, think that I'll continue flying the choppers at the test range for a bit.

BTW, Ultra settings for Video. I doubt that it'll make me any happier when I get shot. The blood might look pretty though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2013, 05:01 PM

Sounds like a really good comp.

Which reminds me, I need to do some Test Server practice myself. GTA completely ****ed what little helicopter skill I had.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 06:17 PM

0 for 12 first game LMFAO. Was sure that I got a boat kill or 2. Oh well.

Ze_Veteran in Battlelog if you want to laugh.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 06:26 PM

Got myself a PS4 on Black Friday. Had to wait in line for 4 hours but I'm glad I did. My local GameStop only had 6 units for sale and I was #5 in line. Whoohoo!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 06:26 PM

Well played Sir!!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 06:54 AM

All : whats your Battlelog id?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 11:01 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2013, 12:16 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 12:34 PM

No idea why, but my Origins email was linked to Ze_Veteran. I'll investigate from home since Battlelog is blocked at work.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
No idea why, but my Origins email was linked to Ze_Veteran. I'll investigate from home since Battlelog is blocked at work.
I wouldn't bother. I'm sure you can't integrate them and EA support is no help.

My ID is self-evident.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 12:59 PM

Small meltdown for BF4 players today. China Rising, which came free with every pre-order copy, is out for premium players only. On top of that, The PS4 patch was shelved. And for future reference, Second Assault is a two week exclusive on XBOX or the One.

What a headache to try to follow.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 01:30 PM

Battlelog app on Android (4.4) SUCKS.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2013, 06:55 PM

How the f**k are you a 61 already Dakar? Good lord.

As predicted my interest in the game has already begun to sputter in the face of teammate crapshoots. Having a 30 minute match go to shit because 4 Recons are trying to get a new headshot distance record is just something that ruins my enjoyment. I've taken about a week off, probably play a little tonight and see what happens.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 07:08 PM

After a first enjoyable game last night, it all went to shit.

4 kills for 30 deaths. FFS. Less than 2% accuracy. I've been away from the PC too long. More fingers need to work now instead of just thumbs and index fingers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
How the f**k are you a 61 already Dakar? Good lord.
Continual 25% xp boosts, followed by double xp week coinciding with the holiday weekend, then slathered with a healthy dose of 50% and even 100% xp boosts on top equals insane XP gains. Them handing out service stars like candy and playing with full squads of guys doesn't hurt, either. I've seen occasional 100,000 xp games with all the bonuses.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 11:34 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2013, 12:27 PM

Ode to Halo 3

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2013, 01:24 PM

As predicted my interest in the game has already begun to sputter in the face of teammate crapshoots. Having a 30 minute match go to shit because 4 Recons are trying to get a new headshot distance record is just something that ruins my enjoyment. I've taken about a week off, probably play a little tonight and see what happens.
I'd like to see you join us sooner rather than later, but I feel remiss if I weren't pointing out your winning % is better than mine.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2013, 02:18 PM

l-o-****ing-l

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2013, 03:10 PM

I'd like to see you join us sooner rather than later, but I feel remiss if I weren't pointing out your winning % is better than mine.
I'll chalk that up to the smaller match populations, making a lone wolf such as myself more able to directly impact the flow of the game. What causes me stress is that every second I'm not in the game attacking the objective (making classes, screwing around with levolution, learning to use certain vehicles) is time given directly to the other team. I can't wait to have a squad of above-average players so I can play around with other classes and setups, instead of always worrying about being shorthanded in one aspect of my game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2013, 03:18 PM

I'll chalk that up to the smaller match populations, making a lone wolf such as myself more able to directly impact the flow of the game.
That's exactly what I would too, but be warned, with a squad of 5 we still have trouble with Rush at times, and if the opposing team gets a Commander its a huge uphill struggle.

So, what do you think of Op Locker? You should see it with 64 players.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2013, 04:34 PM

All the servers with a good ping are empty. Game crashed twice so far, but not while actually in a game, when I was choosing a server and backing out of one after a game.

I really need a headset.

I also downloaded China Rising but can't get into any of the China Rising servers. Not too bothered, still haven't played on all the maps yet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2013, 10:58 AM

Good games last night, fellas.

Jawbone, did my presence cause you to pick up your game?

I noticed you in the top half most games.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2013, 11:33 AM

Oh I forgot, crosbie, did you catch me smashing that guy into a crate with the van on the Rogue Transmission game? I actually slowed down before I realized he was a sitting duck.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2013, 11:44 AM

Best part of last night was suddenly doing the last three unlocks on the tank one game. Unlocked Active Protection and this shit is amazing – when you activate it its capable of stopping the next incoming shell. That's a lot of damage thwarted. Of course, this only works if only you have it.

Also, do you like ammo ribbons? Play Operation Locker.

Guaranteed crash, however.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2013, 11:48 AM

Good games last night, fellas.

Jawbone, did my presence cause you to pick up your game?
I was 99% sure you'd mention that today. I'm working on changing my strategy a bit. It's resulted in a slightly better K/D. I still find it challenging to play any other class than Assault, however.

Last night was a good time, even without the communication. The game crashed on me mid-match near the end, and I got too irritated to boot it back up. That was the first time I played Conquest on Operation Locker. That map is pure insanity, but not necessarily in a good way.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I still find it challenging to play any other class than Assault, however.
Addicted to the Assault Rifles? Just switch all the classes over to Carbines and be done with it. You'll adapt eventually and then the consistency should help. The carbine starter, AK 5C has reasonably similar stats. You'll just see a small drop off on range you can kill from and I have a feeling you were never all that great from afar. Then you'll be able to run any class and not feel disadvantaged, weapon-wise.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2013, 02:19 PM

Addicted to the Assault Rifles? Just switch all the classes over to Carbines and be done with it. You'll adapt eventually and then the consistency should help. The carbine starter, AK 5C has reasonably similar stats. You'll just see a small drop off on range you can kill from and I have a feeling you were never all that great from afar. Then you'll be able to run any class and not feel disadvantaged, weapon-wise.
It's less about the assault rifles and more about...

1. I like to sling med packs around to anyone who needs them.
2. I like to sling med packs around my feet and heal myself.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's less about the assault rifles and more about...

1. I like to sling med packs around to anyone who needs them.
2. I like to sling med packs around my feet and heal myself.
Depends on the map (and the crew, of course), but on stuff like Golmud and Transmission, Engineer is pretty much a must. Healing is nice, but it doesn't do shit against vehicles – in fact its the only class that can't do shit against vehicles.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2013, 03:11 PM

I'm surprised Crosbie hasn't shred his thoughts yet.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2013, 03:37 PM

I had a blast last night even though I sucked ass during those first 2 matches. Flood Zone is a terrible map. My highlight of the night took place on Golmud Railway. I RPGed a helicopter from about 100 yards away.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Oh I forgot, crosbie, did you catch me smashing that guy into a crate with the van on the Rogue Transmission game? I actually slowed down before I realized he was a sitting duck.
Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that. Was my mic working last night?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2013, 03:39 PM

I didn't hear anything, but I don't think it comes through the speakers. The settings aren't as granular as on the XBOX.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2013, 03:51 PM

I hate the fact you can't customize your load outs between matches. Did you know you can do it on your phone with the Battlelog app? I'm going to test this out tonight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2013, 04:51 PM

So you already know you can load the Commander app on your Mac via battlelog, but I keep hearing I can load the mini-map (or full map, not sure) via the battlelog as well. I may give this a try tonight to see how much it helps.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2013, 05:12 PM

The game's menu system sucks. How do you change out the optics on your weapon? I had to use the battlelog app on my iphone to swap out the irons sights on the SCAR-H for a red dot. The good news is the changes you make on your phone show up instantly in the game.

Also, how do you spawn into an empty vehicle at the beginning of a match? I see the vehicles at our base but I can't spawn into them.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
The game's menu system sucks. How do you change out the optics on your weapon? I had to use the battlelog app on my iphone to swap out the irons sights on the SCAR-H for a red dot. The good news is the changes you make on your phone show up instantly in the game.
Square to go into the customize menu, square again to customize the weapon, scroll down to the attachments. I often **** up by hitting X on the weapon I want to modify, which then takes me to the weapon select screen. This screen also sucks because you scroll through weapon types with the d-pad sideways.

DICEs treatment of the UI in this game is horrific. More below.

Also, how do you spawn into an empty vehicle at the beginning of a match? I see the vehicles at our base but I can't spawn into them.
Make sure you have the faction base selected with the L-stick, then use the r-stick to highlight the vehicle you wish to spawn. If a contorl point spawns a vehicle, select that point (like you would to spawn) and use the right stick to select the vehicle again.

It's frustrating to use because the left stick will sometimes no answer to commands and other times just select your team mate right by the control point, requiring finagling.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2013, 05:28 PM

Thanks. While you're here I have another question.

Sometimes my icon on the mini map switches from an arrow to a star. Does that mean I'm the commander? How I do I give out orders and stuff?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2013, 05:36 PM

Thanks. While you're here I have another question.

Sometimes my icon on the mini map switches from an arrow to a star. Does that mean I'm the commander? How I do I give out orders and stuff?
Commander is a separate mode. You're squad leader. Give order as you would in BF3, "spotting" objectives.

ATM it's annoying because when the leader leaves it seems to revert to the lowest ranking person and it can not be transferred.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2013, 08:34 AM

Been enjoying playing this on the PC - until I see my score. It'll be a while before I get that k/d to 1.

Really really need a squad for Conquest.
Number of people taking off in choppers and then bailing never ceases to amaze me.
So far, in Scout helis, I've only ever had one guy doing repairs (I ALWAYS repair).
Transport heli is a bit better but it doesn't seem as tough as the BF3 Huey was.
Support is a wasted class cos when a tank comes ... Suppose it could be good on Infantry only maps.
HC TDM is fun. The AK-12 in burst fire is excellent. Pity the carbines aren't burst fire.
Tried a shotgun (the QBS-09) and I was rubbish.
When I have the RPG there are no armoured vehicles and nobody locks onto aircraft. When I have the Stinger, there are no aircraft.
When I'm recon, nobody exploits my locks on aircraft.
Using the pinky to go faster results in sore pinky after a while.
Maps are good. Don't think that there's one that I hate, yet.
On the Xbox you get the odd message saying how much you cheat, how your mother does tricks with chickens etc. On the PC, you get spammed by messages via the chat system. The insults are just as childish.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2013, 12:40 PM

I really hit my stride this weekend. No, Really.

• Now have a better kpm with the gunship than the attack heli. Makes sense on the surface, but not a good sign. Its impossible to get into the attack heli as well.

• Active armor is amazing if timed correctly.

• I love the addition of helicopters losing control from hits, though its really unbalanced for the attack chopper.

• I also love the gas fire effect of downed aircraft wreckage

• Loving the SRAW as an anti-personnel weapon. Travels slower than a SMAW but the ability to fine tune its aim during flight has its advantages. Destroyed some guy by shooting at his legs under a trailer the other day.

• DICE are not only assholes, but incredibly stupid for including jet ribbons to unlock a support class piece of equipment. Guess I'll never use that.

• Summary of CQ on China Rising: Two Teams fight for control of the Bomber cap. This mirrors Armored Kill, where two teams fight for control of the AC-130 cap. Even worse, there assignments for using the bomber.

• China Rising could be renamed Vietnam Rising. Two of the maps are unmistakably Vietnam, though there's a notable absence of a Fast Attack Craft on them.

• I looked over the release schedule for BF4 and I am not pleased – all DLC is released by the summer, indicating that DICE has been pushed to give BF4 a one year life, rather than two – indeed, China Rising wasn't done by DICE but by DICE LA – who is also rumored to be working on BF:BC3, which I assume comes out next fall. I have no intention of picking it up – I really loved the two year cycle with BF3.

• sek, my longest headshot is 344 meters(?). Get cracking.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2013, 01:49 PM

Introducing the Batt - Forums - Battlelog / Battlefield 4
BATTLEFIELD 4 TOP ISSUES TRACKER
Bug accounting for a quarter of the crashes on PS4
Platform(s): PS4

EMP blur effect
Platform(s): All

One-hit kill bug where players sometimes take damage twice from the same bullet

Loss of SP progress that can happen after quit and restart on PS4
Platform(s): PS4

Game Mode ribbons are counted twice

4X damage from miniguns when using Defensive specialization

Players sometimes get stuck in kill cam after revive

Bug accounting for a majority of crashes on next-gen/PC
Platform(s): PC, PS4, X1

Players sometimes become spectators while still alive in Defuse mode

Players sometimes get stuck in revive screen

Desynchronized game world where objects have different states for different players

Join queue disabled on consoles
Platform(s): All consoles

Bug accounting for a large amount of crashes on X360
Platform(s): X360

Squad spawn sometimes positions you under the terrain

Hit markers and crosshairs sometimes disappear
Platform(s): PC

Rubber banding issues for some players with solid Internet connections

Some instances of no hit effects and no damage to opponent in your sights