Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes Library on Network Drive?

iTunes Library on Network Drive?
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 02:19 PM

Hi all,

I've been using both my PC and Mac for a while, side-by-side. However, lately I've solely been using my Mac and my PC hasn't even been powered on for weeks. With that, I'd like to setup my PC as a media center/tivo to my tv (which is to my back while I'm at my computer).

My question is, could I put my music on the media center/tivo PC and set that drive as my iTunes Library if everything were to be connected via a wireless router? Would there be a problem with doing that? (lag, errors, etc)

TIA!

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 02:23 PM

It'll work fine. Just be careful if you have more than one Mac accessing the same Library file at the same time.

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 02:24 PM

So there would be a problem if more than one Mac were to access that library? What kind of problems would that create?

ryju
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 03:28 PM

I have been doing this since before iTunes 3 came out...

I have an 80gb drive downstairs and all my music/movies are on it, so I just always have it mounted on my Mac.
It's great until the machine downstairs crashes or goes offline...then my Finder stalls...then I break things...

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2003, 03:29 PM

Unicode and 32+ character filename issues. I had that problem. AFP shares won't handle Unicode filenames properly, nor will it handle filenames > 32 characters, whereas the host machine will, so if the Mac that's pointing to the network drive tries to do any kind of filename manipulation, it'll break.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 08:49 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the information guys.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 09:07 PM

Along the same line,

What if you had an XServe with all the music on it and an iTunes Library File. And all machines accessing the XServe are running Mac OS X. Is there anything special you have to do? Someone told me that you need to have SymLinks (Symbolic Links I'm guessing) is this true?

Also is there any way to do this with iPhoto?

Are there going to be problems with the library file if it's being accessed by different machines at different times? What about same machines at the same time?

Would it be more beneficial to have the XServe always running iTunes using its own iTunes music library and just sharing the playlists in the same subnet?

As my house is growing, I am thinking of more ideas and having all my music on my laptop is becoming less and less of a good idea as the size of my music folder is exceeding 60% of my laptop's hard drive's capacity!

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by srfdriver22:
So there would be a problem if more than one Mac were to access that library? What kind of problems would that create?
iTunes was not designed to have more than one computer access the same library at the same time. It is likely that doing so might cause the library to be corrupted, etc. I don't think there would be any problems to letting more than one computer use the same library, just as long as they don't use it at the same time.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 8, 2003, 12:18 AM

iTunes is SOFTWARE and thus questions about iTunes belong in the software forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules