Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini with Airport Express 802.11n

Mac Mini with Airport Express 802.11n
quiklee
Senior User
Apr 1, 2008, 02:39 AM

So, I want to move my Mac Mini to a room that is too far for a cat-5 cable. I just got the AirPort Express with 802.11n and was wonder if I could use that to connect to my Airport Extreme Base Station so i can stream my movies at a good speed from the hard drive connected to the AEBS.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I don't want to unplug my current set up and then set it all up to not be able to stream my movies.
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2008, 03:20 AM

The current Mac mini only does 802.11b/g. So to get transfer speeds in excess of 50 Mbps (which you need if you want to stream movies well) you will need either
• a USB 802.11n adapter
or
• a pair of powerline adapters.

Of course regular Ethernet would be best but you mentioned that's not an option. Personally, I'd try this $46 USB adapter. It's supposed to work with Leopard and Tiger.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2008, 01:43 PM

The OP appears to be proposing to use the Airport Express as a wired/wireless bridge to his 802.11n network. That should work just fine.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Apr 2, 2008, 01:35 AM

ya . i want to create a bridge . . . . so it's possible . . . cool, i'll try it out and set it up . .thanks mduell
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Forum Links
Forum Rules