Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Where is the "Cancel" button when posting a reply?

Where is the "Cancel" button when posting a reply?
msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2012, 05:30 AM

I see there is linked text "cancel" in the lower left corner when starting a new thread but where is that cancel option when replying to a post?
And how the heck can you tell who replied to who in the forums (if the poster doesn't quote the post he/she is replying to)?

Thorzdad
Aug 6, 2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I see there is linked text "cancel" in the lower left corner when starting a new thread but where is that cancel option when replying to a post?
Well, before you Submit your reply, there is the "Clear the Editor" link bext to the Preview and Submit buttons. That's sort-of a "Cancel".
After that, if you click the Preview button, you'll go to a new page and you will see a Cancel link at the bottom left of the editing field.

And how the heck can you tell who replied to who in the forums (if the poster doesn't quote the post he/she is replying to)?
Obviously, you can't. I don't recall any sort of "in reply to..." indication in the old forums, either. At least, I didn't notice anything.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2012, 06:15 AM

Thanks.

My memory sucks. I thought you could easily tell who replied to who in the old forums. I was wrong apparently.

However, it would be a nice feature that many other forums have. "In reply to" or some such indication.

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate these forums and the work you guys do. I know you're limited in what you can do.
They are free after all (well, except for the ads but that's how Capitalism works and I got absolutely no problem with that!).

Thorzdad
Aug 6, 2012, 06:19 AM

I see the "In reply to..." function more often on blogs with visitor feedback/comment functions. I agree, though, it would be a nice detail to add. Among many, many others...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2012, 01:35 PM

The "Reply" button under each post is the same as the "post reply" button that used to be at the end of the thread. It is useless and stupid and redundant under each and every post.

It would only make sense if the reply were added directly under the post, and indented, but this forum doesn't indent replies (which is good IMO. The Verge forums get very confusing once more than a good handful of replies go back and forth, and the thread stops indenting. It's also very hard to follow unread posts unless you use the keyboard command, which isn't available on iOS devices at all).

Forum Links
Forum Rules