Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15.4" MacBook Rumor - Thoughts?

15.4" MacBook Rumor - Thoughts?
quiklee
Senior User
Oct 28, 2006, 01:23 PM

AppleInsider | Overseas pub causes commotion with new MacBook rumors

As reported, the uncited source claims that the new 15.4" MacBook order has been placed and production will begin some time in the middle of next year. Personally, I already know one person who was set on buying the 13.3" macbook, but upon learning of this "rumor" has decided to wait until May of next year to see if the rumors are true.

Pros - will give what a lot of people have been asking for which is a bigger screen in the same cool white casing.

Cons - will kill the MacBook Pro Model's sales. For this reason alone, I don't think this rumor's gonna pan out. Although, I think Apple will begin to keep a a major spec difference between the MBP and MB if this rumor comes to fruition.
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 01:45 PM

this rumor makes no sense.
( Last edited by Yakov; Oct 28, 2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: yeah)

SLiMeX
Senior User
Oct 28, 2006, 03:35 PM

???
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 04:35 PM

that rumour is really stupid.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 04:56 PM

The MacBook is already stealing many potential MBP sales away and a MB with a bigger screen would make things worse.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 05:12 PM

I doubt we are seeing the true story here and they do say that DigiTimes is often off the mark. What I DO believe is the truth and seems to hold somewhat with what Credt Lyonnaise and DigiTimes have said is that the 15" Macbook Pros will be manufactured by both Asustek and Foxconn instead of Asustek solely. Foxconn wanted a piece of the Macbook Pro market and that's what they'll likely get.

HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 28, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
I doubt we are seeing the true story here and they do say that DigiTimes is often off the mark. What I DO believe is the truth and seems to hold somewhat with what Credt Lyonnaise and DigiTimes have said is that the 15" Macbook Pros will be manufactured by both Asustek and Foxconn instead of Asustek solely. Foxconn wanted a piece of the Macbook Pro market and that's what they'll likely get.
If Apple offered product in the 12.1", 14.7" and 17" screen sizes, their market would be better covered.
Dell and others (including Sony already) are readying 12.1" powerhouse models currently.

A black MacBook style 14" with backlit keys, Firewire 800 etc is my Vote.
Apple's getting closer.

This 15.4" LG C2D did it with numeric keys included (photo): http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/17399.jpg
Review here: LG S1 with Core 2 Duo Review

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 06:56 PM

no dvi?!
we don't have time to stop for gas

HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 28, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
no dvi?!
I saw that also.

At least not a $25 extra cost adaptor.

I'm still quite impressed value-wise with a 15.4" Toshiba CoreDuo Satellite (Best Buy $599 special a month ago, with DL DVD Burner, Firewire, Media center and ExpressCard 34,54/PCMCIA slots) that I must use til our MacBook returns from Apple Repair, KY. They're probably holding it hostage, since the nearby Apple Store said "Your C2D 2.33 MBP awaits you here"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 02:57 AM

That rumor is complete bullcrap. I've never heard one of these Chinese 'newspapers' deliver accurate Apple rumors before. It's no different this time.

That said, what do you guys think would sell better: A 15.4" MB (CD, GMA950, $1699) or a 12" MBP (LV/ULV CD, dedicated GPU, probably ~$2k). I'm guessing the latter. Although the 15.4" MB might be a nice way to get increased MBP upsell from potential MB buyers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules