Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will we see an IBM powered Powerbook by 2004?

Will we see an IBM powered Powerbook by 2004?
docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2003, 11:35 PM

(I realize this is something that might not be clear for quite a while... but i still would like to see what other ppl think...)

Up to now we have been discussing the use of the PPC 970 in the XServes and the Powermacs, but not their use in the Powerbooks.
Do you guys think that there will be any chance of a Powerbook having the PPC 970 by, say, early to mid 2004?

I think some ppl had mentioned earlier that mot still would continue production of newer and faster G4s that will be used in upcoming Powerbooks. IMO, Apple should leave the G4 (or whatever mot releases) for the consumer lineup (imac, ibook) and switch to PPC 970 on all the pro machines.

Anyone ever given that any thought?

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2003, 12:23 AM

[Edit: scrapped the erroneous comments in this post other than the link to the Ars Technica article - and the greetings to the wet coast!]

Hey Vancouver!
Ars Technica has an interesting review of the chip, if it interests you:
http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/.../ppc970-1.html
( Last edited by issa; Jan 20, 2003 at 01:20 AM. )

Vond
Jan 20, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by issa:
Hey Vancouver!
The PPC970 in its present form consumes too much power, so doesn't sound promising as something we'll see in a PowerBook unless a low-power version is developed. Ars Technica has an interesting review of the chip, if it interests you:
http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/.../ppc970-1.html
Umm, to quote your own article: "if you consider the fact that the 970's power consumption at 1.2GHz is a mere 19W, it's almost certain that we'll see a future notebook from Apple based on the new chip".

Seems like Ars thinks we'll see a PPC970 notebook...

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2003, 01:17 AM

Oops. Guess the impression I got when reading that article some time ago was off. Somehow the figure of 42 watts at 1.8GHz stuck in my head... Better read it again. Duh.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 01:42 AM

doc
I don't know much about the IBM chip other than what people have been saying. If this chip is as good as folks claim, then I would think and hope that Apple would use it in their "franchise player" aka the PowerBooks. I'm hoping end of 2003. Jobs did say that 2003 is the "Year of the NoteBooks."

P.S. Doc, I'll be your huckleberry. Man, Tombstone is one of my favorite movies.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2003, 01:58 AM

19 watts at 1.2 GHz is probably more watts per clock than the current G4 -- which leads me to believe the way forward with the Powerbook for now will be faster clocked G4 7457 chips on a smaller die size. I can see updated G4s being the backbone of the laptops for a year or two, with the new IBM chips going for a new, powerful line of desktop tower machines.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 02:19 AM

19 watts is actually less.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2003, 02:22 AM

Right . . if you compare with the 30 watts plus of a top of the line desktop model; but don't the laptop models use a lower powered G4? Someone help me out here. I seem to remember 14 watts at 1GHz as being "typical"

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2003, 02:31 AM

Motorola states 15 watts as the "typical" power consumption of the MPC7455 running at 1GHz.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 02:37 AM

19 @ 1.2 ghz would then be right on target.

acadian
Senior User
Jan 20, 2003, 06:44 AM

Though sources close to the company confirm that Apple will be using the PowerPC 970, the company did not return calls requesting comment and has been tight-lipped about its 64-bit processor plans.

Wired news

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2003, 12:42 PM

Imagin linux geeks buying powerbooks because theyr'e just so much better than PC offerings hehehe

Not like most linux geeks go out much
hehehe aww I love them and their open sorucey ways.

But I think the 970 will go into the powerbook as soon as possible. If nothing more than for Steve's pride. I think he's VERY unhappy with Moto screwing everything up right now, and as soon as a way is out he'll take it and do what's smart. Sure he may not LIKE IBM but uhh they're about to save apple from a whole world of hurt.

Not to mention he's gotta be looking at these Xserves and saying 4 PPC 970s... that's what Pixar needs

But yeah I think the Xserver, Power Mac and Power Book will all go 970 within 6 months fo eachother... or rather Xserve 3 months before Power Mac , then Power Mac, then 6 months later Power Book.

docholiday  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2003, 10:52 PM

While I would love the idea of having a Powerbook ppc 970 in this year, i don't think it's gonna happen. Once Apple releases the IBM powered Powermac and XServe they will be overwhelmed by very high demand.

However, if Apple introduced the ppc 970 in MWNY, chances are that it will be able to ship Powerbook versions by the beginning of next year.
Who knows, maybe the notebooks will start using processor with a smaller die-size than the first set of ppc 970 processors?

PS. IceMan: Tombstone is a great movie, haven't watched in a while but love it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules